Immigration, World Poverty and Gumballs

Bromides on top of bromides on top of.... and so we sit on our hands, or do we support people like Jeffrey Sacks (see below) Or do we ask the wealthy who are only wealthy because they exist on planet earth and have had the opportunity to get rich. or do we sit on our hands and whine about taxes and big government and taxes and big government. But I repeat myself.

For the right wingnuts see quote on George Soros, then list a right wing talking head who does as much.

"In the respected opinion of Jeffrey David Sachs—distinguished Quetelet Professor of Sustainable Development at Columbia University, director of the Earth Institute, and special adviser to the secretary-general of the United Nations—the problem of extreme poverty can be solved. In fact, the problem can be solved "easily." "We have enough on the planet to make sure, easily, that people aren't dying of their poverty. That's the basic truth," he tells me firmly, without a doubt." Jeffrey Sachs's $200 Billion Dream | Politics | Vanity Fair

"For more than 30 years, I’ve been reading, writing and teaching about the ethical issue posed by the juxtaposition, on our planet, of great abundance and life-threatening poverty. Yet it was not until, in preparing this article, I calculated how much America’s Top 10 percent of income earners actually make that I fully understood how easy it would be for the world’s rich to eliminate, or virtually eliminate, global poverty. (It has actually become much easier over the last 30 years, as the rich have grown significantly richer.)" http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/17/m...?em&ex=1166763600&en=008e5238d37554dc&ei=5070

David S. Landes "controversial theory: that the ability to effect an industrial revolution is dependent on certain cultural traits, without which industrialization is impossible to sustain. Landes contrasts the characteristics of successfully industrialized nations--work, thrift, honesty, patience, and tenacity--with those of nonindustrial countries, arguing that until these values are internalized by all nations, the gulf between the rich and poor will continue to grow." [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wealth-Poverty-Nations-Some-Rich/dp/0393318885/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Wealth and Poverty of Nations: Why Some Are So Rich and Some So Poor (9780393318883): David S. Landes: Books[/ame]

"One of Sachs's biggest supporters is the financier and philanthropist George Soros, who recently donated $50 million to the Millennium Villages Project. (The project is a partnership among the U.N., Columbia, and Sachs's own nonprofit organization, Millennium Promise.) According to Soros, whose foundation gives away between $350 million and $400 million a year, investing in Sachs offered an attractive "risk-reward ratio." "Even though it's a large amount of money, $50 million, I thought there was really little downside," Soros told me. "As a humanitarian action, it was a good investment on its own But if it succeeded, then of course you would get a reward that would be way out of proportion to the investment made."" Jeffrey Sachs's $200 Billion Dream | Politics | Vanity Fair

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:8-9

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Matthew 6:24

Forum List

Back