Immigration Vote in the Senate

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
It is interesting to observe the pattern of Senate votes both for and against proceeding with the comprehensive immigration bill:

In 4 of the 5 most populous sates, both Senators voted to keep the bill alive: California, Florida, New York, and Illinois. Of the eight Senators from these states, seven are Democrats. The lone Republican is Martinez from Florida. States with large populations where both Senators voted against keeping the bill alive included: Georgia, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, and Texas, the state with the longest border with Mexico. In these states, only two of ten Senators are Democrats. In New Mexico, another border state, both Senators also voted against. And in Arizona, where illegal alien border traffic is out of control, both Senators voted in favor of keeping the bill alive. The other states where both Senators voted to keep the bill alive were: Pennsylvania, Connecticut (Lieberman voted in favor of cloture), Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Washington, Wisconsin. In these states, there are 16 Democrats, 1 Republican, and 1 Independent.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...m.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00235#state

It is interesting to observe the pattern of Senate votes both for and against proceeding with the comprehensive immigration bill:

In 4 of the 5 most populous sates, both Senators voted to keep the bill alive: California, Florida, New York, and Illinois. Of the eight Senators from these states, seven are Democrats. The lone Republican is Martinez from Florida. States with large populations where both Senators voted against keeping the bill alive included: Georgia, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, and Texas, the state with the longest border with Mexico. In these states, only two of ten Senators are Democrats. In New Mexico, another border state, both Senators also voted against. And in Arizona, where illegal alien border traffic is out of control, both Senators voted in favor of keeping the bill alive. The other states where both Senators voted to keep the bill alive were: Pennsylvania, Connecticut (Lieberman voted in favor of cloture), Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Washington, Wisconsin. In these states, there are 16 Democrats, 1 Republican, and 1 Independent.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...m.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00235#state

Well coming from the state that claims both Durbin and Obama I'd say it has mucho to do with their guess on future votes.

Well coming from the state that claims both Durbin and Obama I'd say it has mucho to do with their guess on future votes.
Your state is in very bad political shape, as is mine. The senators from California are an embarrassment. New York is long gone. And Florida has fallen off the edge. I doubt that a Republican can win in Florida in 2008. Texas alone will not be enough.

Your state is in very bad political shape, as is mine. The senators from California are an embarrassment. New York is long gone. And Florida has fallen off the edge. I doubt that a Republican can win in Florida in 2008. Texas alone will not be enough.

Do you honestly think Hillary or Obama can win the Electoral College in 08?

Agreed. Florida is sort of like Illinois, in more than just shape. Where it's conservative, it's very much so. Where it's not, it really is not. I don't think Republicans will be winning anywhere, unless the Dems really keep up their arrogance. I don't see how they could miss what happened yesterday, but then again, how did Bush?

Agreed. Florida is sort of like Illinois, in more than just shape. Where it's conservative, it's very much so. Where it's not, it really is not. I don't think Republicans will be winning anywhere, unless the Dems really keep up their arrogance. I don't see how they could miss what happened yesterday, but then again, how did Bush?

Do not worry about that Kathy - the arrogance is getting worse

Congress gave itself another pay raise - not a smart idea given the mood of the voters

Do you honestly think Hillary or Obama can win the Electoral College in 08?
I hope not. But California, New York, and Illinois are already gone, and so probably is Pennsylvania. Thus is will boil down to Florida and Ohio. Right now, I think that the Republicans have a better shot at Ohio, but they need both. Another state that the Republicans won in 2004 with which they will have difficulty repeating is New Mexico. If any of those three states (FL, OH, NM) go to the Dems in 2008, they will win.

Do not worry about that Kathy - the arrogance is getting worse

Congress gave itself another pay raise - not a smart idea given the mood of the voters

On which side? Ooopps, right now both. That's a problem when your party is in the minority.

I hope not. But California, New York, and Illinois are already gone, and so probably is Pennsylvania. Thus is will boil down to Florida and Ohio. Right now, I think that the Republicans have a better shot at Ohio, but they need both. Another state that the Republicans won in 2004 with which they will have difficulty repeating is New Mexico. If any of those three states (FL, OH, NM) go to the Dems in 2008, they will win.

It is early, but Rudy is leading Hillary in PA, NY, FL

It is early, but Rudy is leading Hillary in PA, NY, FL
Interesting point. Let's hope it stays that way. But keep in mind that Thompson is leading Rudi in the national polls. I do not know how Thompson polls against Hillary at this point. You are right, it is early. However, I do think that it is quite likely that Hillary will be the Dem nominee.

Interesting point. Let's hope it stays that way. But keep in mind that Thompson is leading Rudi in the national polls. I do not know how Thompson polls against Hillary at this point. You are right, it is early. However, I do think that it is quite likely that Hillary will be the Dem nominee.

Rudy/Fred or Fred/Rudy would beat any combo the left can put up

Hillary is moving more to the left everyday. That will play well in the big cities, but not in the South or "fly over country"

Forum List

Back