Immigration Reform - Catz v. Uncensored

Ok. Candy Crowley has called it.

Catz wins!

Did I miss her debate. I am lookiing forward to it.

My thoughts....

Amnesty applies to relief for an action that would otherwise be penalized. The issue with calling the Dream Act Amnesty is the kids didn't do anything wrong. They have no actions to be given Amnesty against. So Amnesty cannot be appropriately used when referring to these kids.

The kids affected by the dream act are the "victims" of years of hypocrisy surrounding the immigration debate. Whether you are the democratic party who believes in fairness or the Republican Party who believes in responsibility both parties should come down on the side of the dream act because we have an obligation as a society to do the right thing and take responsibility for our years of inaction. To do otherwise is both unfair and irresponsible.

Lastly, I would point out that as a country we want people who have a predilection for breaking the rules when required. We have a long history of civil disobeience and a dislike for following rules we don't agree with or that stand in the way of doing what is right for our families. We have a whole state called the "sooners" named after people who broke the rules. We chuckle at athlets who say if you aren't cheating your aren't trying. That is probably why we never have and never will truely close our borders. Because we want the people with the will, drive and creativity to get around it. Those people are truely "Americans" and exemplify the American spirit. Not those who will patiently stand in line. Like it or not it is never been who we are nor is it what we want to be in the future.

The recent election has illustrated the real debate on immigration, which has always been about voter demographics: Reps get 60% of white voters and Dems get 60% of nonwhite voters. Dems have won the debate unless Reps can change course and successfully court hispanic voters.

Uncensored,

Some stuff came up today and I haven't been able to be on much. I'll tackle this during the weekend. My husband will be at reserves, and I'll need something to do in between painting my living room.

:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back