Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA)

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA)

Public Law 99-603 (Act of 11/6/86), which was passed in order to control and deter illegal immigration to the United States. Its major provisions stipulate legalization of undocumented aliens who had been continuously unlawfully present since 1982, legalization of certain agricultural workers, sanctions for employers who knowingly hire undocumented workers, and increased enforcement at U.S. borders.

USCIS - Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA)
It didn't work in 1986 and it won't work in 2013.

The problem with the Simpson-Mazzoli Act was it stopped short of getting to the crux of the matter...

... sure, it made it illegal to hire undocumented workers...

... but it didn't make it illegal to rent housing to them...

... so they came up here anyway knowing they could get a place to stay...

... and then start their drug operations or go to work for those who were willing to hire them under the table...

... while at the same time depriving jobs of those who are here legally or are citizens...

... and adding to our already out of control drug problem.

I don't know, 1986 happened a long time ago, and I'm sitting on a memory foam bed typing on a $2000 lap top. Something must have worked.

I don't understand what one thing has to do with the other? Depends on what your meaning of "worked" is. I did nothing it was supposed to do. Stop illegal immigration and secure the border. $2000 lap top?: Does it wipe your ass?

Stop the Insanity
The 1986 bill granted amnesty, then tried to enforce the law, and created a poor alternative to undocumented labor. It failed. The current bill follows exactly the same strategy. It will fail as well. Responsible reform legislation has to adopt a different course. Congress must do three things:

1.Reject granting amnesty;
2.Enforce the law; and
3.Create a realistic, flexible, and practical temporary worker program as soon as possible.

Any proposed immigration reform that does not satisfy these three fundamental goals is as flawed as the 1986 law.
http://www.heritage.org/research/re...enate-immigration-reform-repeats-past-failure

Last edited:

Forum List

Back