Immigration looking like a low priority

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
But president vows bipartisan effort on issue

WASHINGTON - With the overhaul of the nation's health-care system almost off his to-do list, President Obama has renewed his promise to revamp immigration laws this year.

"I pledge to do everything in my power to forge a bipartisan consensus this year on this important issue," Obama said in a video message to tens of thousands of activists who were calling for revising immigration laws as they gathered last Sunday on Washington's National Mall.

But chances are slim to none that the president will fulfill that pledge this year, because administration officials and lawmakers have put several other priorities - from tightening financial regulations to creating jobs - ahead of overhauling immigration laws.

Border

I wouldn't bet against an amnesty being a high priority for Obama. He's made some promises he's gonna need to keep.

...Obama's record on illegal immigration as a President isn't all bad!

Jeffrey Kaye: What if the immigrants just 'keep on coming'? | StarTribune.com
The Obama administration has set a record for deportations of illegal immigrants, much to the dismay of advocates who had hoped the president would reverse the enforcement policies of his predecessor.

In fiscal year 2009, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement deported 387,790 people, a 5 percent increase over the previous year.

I still think Obama will crave in during his second term and grant a sweeping amnesty bill!

Nah - he has to attend to other matters which impact the american people the most. Legalizing the 20M people here is not a priority for Obama - never has been. He just keeps tossing the pro-illegal advocates a promise which he can't keep and has/had no intentions of keeping. Have you people not gotten his number yet????

WASHINGTON - With the overhaul of the nation's health-care system almost off his to-do list, President Obama has renewed his promise to revamp immigration laws this year.

"I pledge to do everything in my power to forge a bipartisan consensus this year on this important issue," Obama said in a video message to tens of thousands of activists who were calling for revising immigration laws as they gathered last Sunday on Washington's National Mall.

But chances are slim to none that the president will fulfill that pledge this year, because administration officials and lawmakers have put several other priorities - from tightening financial regulations to creating jobs - ahead of overhauling immigration laws.

Border

Looks to me like he knows he'll be crucified in November if he tries to push immigration reform through before then.

The repubs have done more for illegals than have the dems. It was Reagan (repub) who have them the first amnesty. It was GWB who was pushing for a second amnesty in '06. It has always been the repubs who have tried to do more - bar none. The dems are just better at throwing dirt at the repubs and the foolish pro-illegal advocates falling for their rhetoric.

Border

Looks to me like he knows he'll be crucified in November if he tries to push immigration reform through before then.

He'll have his hands full simply trying to defend what his party has "accomplished" during the last 15 months, much less passing any additional legislation.

The repubs have done more for illegals than have the dems. It was Reagan (repub) who have them the first amnesty. It was GWB who was pushing for a second amnesty in '06.

But....but.....GWB and the Republicans were "IN COMPLETE POWER!!!"
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why didn't the "amnesty" that GWB was pushing for...in '06 happen????
:eek:

Forum List

Back