Immigration and Who Should Assimilate?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I've never seen anything quite like this. Read it, it's followed by comments at the site:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1982376,00.html

Britain should integrate into Muslim values

The moral code my parents instilled in me could help counter this country's culture of rampant disrespect

Sarfraz Manzoor
Thursday January 4, 2007
The Guardian

In 2006 the gloves came off in the fight to define what it means to be British. Whereas the dominant response to the London bombings was confusion over how anyone raised in this country could commit such atrocities, the veil debate detonated by Jack Straw and the teaching assistant Aisha Azmi was notable for its muscularity. Sentiments that might once have been considered too insensitive were openly expressed. "The right to be in a multicultural society," argued the prime minister in a speech last month, "was always implicitly balanced by a duty to integrate, to be part of Britain." Behind these remarks was an assumption that integration is a one-way street. However, there are many things that the rest of the country could learn from Muslims.

In the present climate, integration is the only show in town and multiculturalism has joined political correctness as a favoured target of those who feel that their Britain is disappearing before their eyes. Hence the calls, growing ever louder, for Muslims to integrate: no more forced marriages; no more honour killings; accept the rule of law.

Think of the words "Muslim community" and what do you see? A succession of veiled women walking silently behind their husbands? Bearded men gesticulating outside mosques? But there is another version of the Muslim community...

Well, I guess there is something to it, but quite frankly, Muslims so disgust me, in their lack of voicing their abhorrance to this secular violence, that I pay little attention to any good they might display.

Hence the calls, growing ever louder, for Muslims to integrate: no more forced marriages; no more honour killings; accept the rule of law.
What? Britain hasn't accepted forced marriages and honor killings yet? Intolerant wankers.

Snappy new site design here!

There could be something to this. If the white West were a little more intolerant, as the Muslims are, they wouldn't be in this mess to begin with. "Sanfranz Manzoor" wouldn't be lecturing the Brits, he'd be run through with a sword.

I've never seen anything quite like this. Read it, it's followed by comments at the site:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1982376,00.html

Forced and/or arranged marriages are a holdover from feudal societies where families sought to improve their lot by strategic alliances through marriage. They have no place in modern society. Honor killings have absolutely no place in civilized society. They are rooted in that tribal tradition that many from the Middle East are steeped in, even after living in a foreign country for generations. Acceptance of the rule of law, the laws of man not the laws of their given religion, is a prerequisite for life in a civilized society.

Cleaving to those aspects of their culture which cause no harm to another is all well and good. But to cling to traditions and values which lead to the harm of others is counter-productive and leads to nothing but discord, violence and even death.

Forum List

Back