Immigrants sue state over exclusion from health care

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Massachusetts’ exclusion of thousands of legal immigrants from state-subsidized health coverage is unconstitutional and should be struck down by the courts, according to a lawsuit filed yesterday by several of the affected immigrants.

“You can’t violate people’s constitutional rights just because you don’t have the funds,’’ said Matt Selig, executive director of Health Law Advocates, a Boston-based public interest law firm that is assisting the immigrants in the suit.

Last year, about 26,000 immigrants lost their coverage after lawmakers eliminated $130 million in funding to help balance the state’s budget.

Immigrants sue state over exclusion from health care - The Boston Globe

Do legal immigrants have all the same rights and entitlements as citizens? And if so, can we assume that they will all be eligible for Obamacare? Should they be?

Pick them up and deport them - problem solved. They have been taken care of by federal law which states than nobody can be turned away from receiving medical care. That is enough. They do not need to be part of perks that are given to americans. Period! But - since this country will NOT deport 20m plus illegals, the next thing is to deny them all the perks in place for americans. They will not be turned away, they will not starve, they will be given an education, they will be supported by taxpayers - as they don't earn enough to pay the amount of taxes many americans pay. The answer is still to CLOSE THE BORDERS.

Massachusetts’ exclusion of thousands of legal immigrants from state-subsidized health coverage is unconstitutional and should be struck down by the courts, according to a lawsuit filed yesterday by several of the affected immigrants.

“You can’t violate people’s constitutional rights just because you don’t have the funds,’’ said Matt Selig, executive director of Health Law Advocates, a Boston-based public interest law firm that is assisting the immigrants in the suit.

Last year, about 26,000 immigrants lost their coverage after lawmakers eliminated $130 million in funding to help balance the state’s budget.

Immigrants sue state over exclusion from health care - The Boston Globe

Do legal immigrants have all the same rights and entitlements as citizens? And if so, can we assume that they will all be eligible for Obamacare? Should they be?

why would you deny health care to people here lawfully?

when they work, they pay taxes. when they buy things, they pay tax. when they own property, they pay taxes on it.

I'm not sure what the objection is.

Do legal immigrants have all the same rights and entitlements as citizens?

If they're citizens.

You do realize that immigrants can become citizens, right?

Now stop asking stupid questions.

Pick them up and deport them - problem solved. They have been taken care of by federal law which states than nobody can be turned away from receiving medical care. That is enough. They do not need to be part of perks that are given to americans. Period! But - since this country will NOT deport 20m plus illegals, the next thing is to deny them all the perks in place for americans. They will not be turned away, they will not starve, they will be given an education, they will be supported by taxpayers - as they don't earn enough to pay the amount of taxes many americans pay. The answer is still to CLOSE THE BORDERS.

legal immigrants should be deported?

Where's *your* family from?

“These people are their neighbors, they pay taxes, they are part of the fabric,’’ Millona said. “But they are being separated because of their immigration status.’’
Immigration status? So they're not legal?

I will not stop asking questions. That is why I participate on this board. If you think my questions are stupid, please use the ignore button. Unlike arrogant, elitist assholes, I don't pretend to know all the answers. Thank you in advance.

Unlike arrogant, elitist assholes, I don't pretend to know all the answers.
The answer to your stupid question was obvious.

Not my fault you're an idiot.

Do citizens have the same rights and perks as citizens? Do non-citizens have the same perks as citizens?

Those are stupid questions. That you ask them makes it evident that you are stupid.

Legal OR illegal immigrants CAN be deported yes! What does it matter where MY family is from??? I was born, raised and educated in the U.S.A. Anymore questions?

☭proletarian☭;2052308 said:
Unlike arrogant, elitist assholes, I don't pretend to know all the answers.
The answer to your stupid question was obvious.

Not my fault you're an idiot.

Do citizens have the same rights and perks as citizens? Do non-citizens have the same perks as citizens?

Those are stupid questions. That you ask them makes it evident that you are stupid.

Well Mr. Wannabe Constitutional Lawyer Sir - I'm more interested in Jillian's response, on account of her being knowledgeable of the law. You sir, are simply a pompous drama queen - who needs to find a better word than stupid. It's ignorant and well - stupid. :lol:

If you read the OP, it states that the legislature cut them off. Obviously their team of crack lawyers didn't realize that might be illegal either. So, my question is only as idiotic as the issue - which may cost the good people of MA $130 million.

Jillian - I am honestly interested in your thoughts. Do you think they will win?

Forum List

Back