Immigrants & Social Security

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Just thought of something. Most of my ancestors who came here were young folks at the time. Most of the Indian and Hispanic immigrants or Visa workers we see are younger hard working individuals as well.

The reason why social security benefits will need to be adjusted so severely in the near future is demographics. Too many baby boomers, not enough hard working 30 and 40 year olds.

The trick is to keep the money circulating our economy instead of having it sent back to Mexico or India.

South Asia helping offset drop in birthrate...
:eusa_eh:
South Asians Fuel Asian Population Boom in US
August 03, 2012 - Job seekers of South Asian origin comprise most of Chicago's new immigrant community, filling key demand for technology workers
A recent study by the Pew Research Center reveals that, for the first time, Asians outpaced Hispanics as the fastest growing immigrant population in the United States. Job seekers of South Asian origin make up the bulk of Chicago's new immigrant community, filling a critical demand for highly skilled technology workers. Despite the sluggish economy, hiring manager Pete Tapaskar is having difficulty filling empty chairs at his suburban Chicago technology firm ProSoft. “We don’t get enough resources locally. We have to depend on the resources from Asia - India, Pakistan and other countries -- anywhere resources are available,” said Tapaskar. Tapaskar said that about 80 percent of ProSoft’s workforce comes from outside the United States, mostly from India.

The increased demand for skilled workers in information technology, or IT, is forcing companies like ProSoft to recruit more employees from countries - like India - where engineering degrees and experience are plentiful. This trend is changing the U.S. landscape. Chicago has the third largest Indian American community in the United States, and it's growing. Shoji Matthew came to Chicago from India more than 10 years ago. “Ninety percent of the (work) visas are used by Indians,” said Matthew. “A lot of the immigration is driven by employment-based visas, more so than other communities,” said Tuyet Le, executive director of the Asian American Institute. Le said the Pew study should change long-held stereotypes about Asian immigration to the United States. “In Illinois, Indian Americans are actually the largest Asian ethnic group for the second census in a row, surpassing the Chinese and Filipino communities. I think that sort of surprises a lot of people,” she said.

It doesn't surprise Matthew, who came to Chicago shortly before the 2000 census, working to prevent the expected computer glitch known as Y2K. "I came on an H1-B Visa. That is what is used for IT professionals. At that time, the Y2K problem was going on in the peak time, so there was a heavy need of people here. There was an immense shortage of manpower here at that time,” said Matthew. Matthew said the shortage has not changed and that many on work visas decided to stay. Today, there is even more demand for IT workers from South Asia, and not enough visas to bring them to the United States, said ProSoft’s Tapaskar. “After 9/11, the immigrations systems have become tougher. Quotas have been reduced," he said. Tapaskar said it also takes longer to process the visas, delaying hiring for jobs that are waiting to be filled.

Source

The boomer gen more than prefunded their retirement.

But if the future of SSI is to be secure the younger generations will have to have a lifetime of solid work history to keep it going.

And that seems to currently be the problem, doesn't it?

We're so busy sending their jobs offshore, fewer and fewer of them can make a decent living.

If one understands the Social Security system as the ponzi scheme it is...

... i.e. it requires an ever-increasing base (continuing increasing birthrate ) to keep it going...

... then one realizes it eventually reaches a point...

... where the base becomes no longer sufficient...

... to pay out the benefits to those at the top of the pyramid...

... only by infusing 'new blood' (immigrants to bolster the dropping birthrate)...

... can the inevitable be delayed.
:eusa_shifty:

There is a firm belief that a young immigrant who comes here, works under the table, and supplements his income with selling drugs, smuggling or stealing is contributing to the social security system.

Just thought of something. Most of my ancestors who came here were young folks at the time. Most of the Indian and Hispanic immigrants or Visa workers we see are younger hard working individuals as well.

The reason why social security benefits will need to be adjusted so severely in the near future is demographics. Too many baby boomers, not enough hard working 30 and 40 year olds.

The trick is to keep the money circulating our economy instead of having it sent back to Mexico or India.

Obama supposeably is going to grant soc sec to the illegals that work here and immigrants, It will be less soc sec for the younger people in the future. I think its a shame, because all these young people are paying in, the same as us older folks have.
i have gotten my granddaughter and her husband putting into an Annuity, which will be better then soc sec when they reach retirement age and the Gov't won't be able to spend it like they are soc sec.

And who will pay the social security for the millions of 30 or 40 year old illegal aliens when they come of age and because of low wage earners will not have paid enough into social security to collect benefits and will be given full SSI plus full Medicaid? They canno pay enough taxes or buy enough products or services to be an asset instead of a liability. NO thanks, but no thanks. The baby boomers social security is already secured without illegal aliens. Social security has a $22 trillion surplus. Scare mongering by the radical right that it is broke. Because they want to put it in the hands of corrupt and greedy profit making private sector hands.

Last edited:

Obama supposeably is going to grant soc sec to the illegals that work here and immigrants, It will be less soc sec for the younger people in the future. I think its a shame, because all these young people are paying in, the same as us older folks have.
i have gotten my granddaughter and her husband putting into an Annuity, which will be better then soc sec when they reach retirement age and the Gov't won't be able to spend it like they are soc sec.
If social security is less than poverty level, it will be supplemented with SSI and Medicaid.

Forum List

Back