Immigrants Enduring Values In America

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NATO AIR, Apr 2, 2006.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I find this makes me think about the long-term effect of what's happening here, and about our bigger, more important problems, i.e. the disturbing idealogies of some of the more political immigrants and the broken immigration system that fails immigrants on a daily basis.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    What is getting me teed off is the argument being made, mostly by neo-cons and the WSJ, that wanting the illegal immigrant problem seriously addressed is somehow driven by xenophobic isolationists that want to stop immigration.

It a specious argument.

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    There are and have always been a sizeable minority in this country that feels that way Kathianne. Lou Dobbs is one of them, Pat Buchannan another.

What's happening is wrong. The system is broke, our culture is flawed, our leadership weak and we have dangerous idealogies spreading among Mexican immigrants, precisely because we're too scared to praise this nation and promote patriotism.

But I believe Brooks is dead-on with his arguments, and its just another reason I support Brownback more than anyone else. I'm seeing this right now, typing to you from the computer of a 2nd generation immigrant family from Cuba while IMing with the 2nd generation daughter of a mexican migrant worker who got knocked up by a drunk trucker 20 years ago and never looked back for the kid he abandoned. Yet her mom was a hard worker and raised her right, and suceeded, IN SPITE of the broken immigration system and the temptation to not learn English and just vegetate with the other Mexicans.

Most of these people are good, hard-working, very faithful people. There are bad ones, and they should be deported. And there are crazy ones (with this insane mexican supernation bullshit) who should be deported too.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    NATO I know very few people who do not think that immigration is what has kept the US at the pinnacle of innovation and productivity, not too mention an ever changing lexicon and restaurant choice!

We cannot accomodate ALL the suffering peoples that wish to come here. Not from Mexico-where the Pew poll last year found that 70% of Mexicans wanted to emigrate here. As it is, 1 in 5 Mexican born are now in the US. That is not healthy for either country. If we close the border, I'm all in favor of substantially raising the number of legal Mexicans that can come in-with perhaps different educational standards than we have for others. They are our neighbor. Problem is, by allowing Mexico to send so many, they haven't had the pressure to reform their own politics or economy. We are doing neither country a favor and harming those trying to come here legally. There should be no rewarding those who do not follow the rules.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    :clap:

I'd rep ,but alas ... 'tis not to be at the moment.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

I didn't remember Brownback putting forth a 'plan' though he's on the committee. He has offered amendments that were added to the Senate Bill. Mostly he's for the McCain/Kennedy proposal, which is basically replicating the mistake Reagan made in the 80's:

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/14202465.htm

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Good ones, bad ones, tall ones, skinny ones ..... IF they are in the US illegally they are criminals and the aforementioned attributes irrelevant.