Imitation Crab Pasta Salad

HaShev

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2009
Cook small portion of shell pasta- test & make sure it's cooked tender before removing from boiling water as tough chewy uncooked pasta shells can ruin your salads.
Drain & Cool down and place in your container or mixing bowl,
throw in cut and stringed pieces of imitation crab, chopped onion and finely chopped celery, 2-3 heaping tablespoons of mayo, cap full of apple cider vinegar, dash of dry dill and dry parsley, (my secret ingredient)=spoonfull of capers, few shakes of salt(I use flavorcol popcorn salt) and pepper, a shake of paprika, shake or two of onion powder,
mix ingredients thoroughly and chill before serving.

Why not use real crab?

Real crab can be very expensive and is not always available everywhere, so imitation is a substitute

It must be a regional thing.
Here on the Gulf Coast it's readily available.

Here too most of the time. We usually have access to Dungeness and Alaskan King crabs. There is also Snow Crabs, but they are more work than they're
worth IMHO

Nothing I like more than the Alaskan King Crab!!!
Two legs will do ya!! Damn things are two feet long and as thick as your wrist!!
But yeah those aint cheap! Down here they run about 20 bucks a leg.

Why not use real crab?

Real crab can be very expensive and is not always available everywhere, so imitation is a substitute

Here too most of the time. We usually have access to Dungeness and Alaskan King crabs. There is also Snow Crabs, but they are more work than they're
worth IMHO

Two legs will do ya!! Damn things are two feet long and as thick as your wrist!!
Nothing better than King Crab legs steamed in beer!

Why not use real crab?

worth IMHO

I'll have to give that a try.

Why not use real crab?

worth IMHO

Gawd I miss Chesapeake Bay Seafood House. In the 80s-early 90s, all-you-could-eat King Crab legs for $12.00.

They were great early on, but then got sloppy and went under.

worth IMHO

I'll have to give that a try.
There's lots of recipes out there, but IMO beer garlic and lemon is the best.

Why not use real crab?

worth IMHO

Gawd I miss Chesapeake Bay Seafood House. In the 80s-early 90s, all-you-could-eat King Crab legs for $12.00.

They were great early on, but then got sloppy and went under.

You'd have to roll me out!

Crawfish have gotten ridiculous down here.
Fifteen years ago you could get them in a restaurant for three bucks a lb.....paid nine bucks last Sunday.
Of course these people make the best crawfish in Houston so I'll pay it.
It's a damn good thing I cant eat like I did when I was younger.
Sixteen lbs in one sitting wasn't unusual now I'm good with eight.

upload_2018-1-23_10-15-14.png

Sometimes real crab or lobster is best served standard with lemon and butter, but get wasted and lost cooked in Lobster Newberg or Lobster Thermidor, crab salads, or With Spinach yogurt sauce thus imitation crab works best in dishes.
Try making Lobster Newberg with real lobster then imitation crab meat, the texture works better with the imitation crab and is totally wasted with lobster.
Crab patties of course is the exception, as real crab meat and texture works best while
imitation is horrible as a crab cake.

Cook small portion of shell pasta- test & make sure it's cooked tender before removing from boiling water as tough chewy uncooked pasta shells can ruin your salads.
Drain & Cool down and place in your container or mixing bowl,
throw in cut and stringed pieces of imitation crab, chopped onion and finely chopped celery, 2-3 heaping tablespoons of mayo, cap full of apple cider vinegar, dash of dry dill and dry parsley, (my secret ingredient)=spoonfull of capers, few shakes of salt(I use flavorcol popcorn salt) and pepper, a shake of paprika, shake or two of onion powder,
mix ingredients thoroughly and chill before serving.

Inasmuch as imitation crabmeat is readily available 'round these parts I dove in, figuring this would be a good way to use up noodles. In lieu of parsley tossed in some cilantro. No capers, substituted artichoke. Added white pepper, a dab of garlicky scampi sauce, a squeeze of lemon and a dollop of basil pesto sauce, which worked well.

Forum List

Back