Imams join U.S. officials at Nazi sites

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
U.S. officials participated in a trip of eight Muslim-American clerics to the sites of the former Dachau and Auschwitz concentration camps last week in what one official called a transformative experience.

“These Muslim leaders were experiencing something they knew nothing about,” President Barack Obama’s envoy to combat anti-Semitism, Hannah Rosenthal, told POLITICO Tuesday. Rosenthal lost many family members at Auschwitz, including her grandparents. “I can’t believe anyone walks into Auschwitz and leaves the same person. I watched them break down. I broke down in front of suitcases. ... It is the cemetery of my whole family.”

The participating imams “were totally aware that they were visiting my family cemetery, and they were very loving about it,” Rosenthal said.

At the end, the imams — from a broad range of backgrounds — issued a far-reaching statement, condemning anti-Semitism, Holocaust denial and religious bigotry.

“We bear witness to the absolute horror and tragedy of the Holocaust, where over 12 million human souls perished, including 6 million Jews,” the group said in a joint statement issued after the trip. “We condemn any attempts to deny this historical reality and declare such denials or any justification of this tragedy as against the Islamic code of ethics.”

Beyond Rosenthal, among those from the Obama, Reagan and George W. Bush administrations who accompanied the imams on the Aug. 7-11 trip to Germany and Poland were Rashad Hussain, Obama’s envoy to the Organization of the Islamic Conference; Nasreen Badat, a State Department official working on religious freedom issues; Marshall Breger, former special assistant to Reagan for public liaison and his liaison with the Jewish community; and Suhail Khan, an official in Bush's public liaison office. Also participating was Rabbi Jack Bemporad from New Jersey.

The trip was co-sponsored by Germany's Konrad Adenauer Foundation and the Center for Interreligious Understanding, of which Bemporad is executive director.

The letter was signed by Imam Abdullah T. Antepli, the Muslim chaplain of Duke University; Imam Syed Naqvi, director of the Islamic Interfaith Center in Washington; Shaikh Yasir Qadhi, dean of academics for the AlMaghrib Institute in New Haven, Conn.; Laila Muhammad, daughter of late Imam W.D. Muhammad of Chicago; Imam Suhaib Webb of the Muslim Community Association of Santa Clara, Calif.; Sayyid Syeed, national director of the Islamic Society of North America’s Office of Interfaith & Community Services; Imam Muhamad Maged of the All-Dulles-Area Muslim Society in Virginia and vice president of the Islamic Society of North America; and Imam Muzammil Siddiqi of the Islamic Center of Orange County, Calif.

Organizers of the trip say they were dismayed that the Anti-Defamation League’s Abe Foxman lobbied U.S. officials against participating. They also say the Investigative Project’s Steve Emerson, author of "American Jihad," lobbied against the trip, arguing that one of the imams planning to participate had made Holocaust denial statements a decade ago.

Read more: Imams join U.S. officials at Nazi sites - Laura Rozen - POLITICO.com

indeed. forward progress!

Hopefully, messages like this will come to permeate the muslim culture in general and denying the holocaust, by muslims doing so in order to rationalize their own plight, will become like jumping the shark TO THEM.

here's to hoping.

Hopefully, messages like this will come to permeate the muslim culture in general and denying the holocaust, by muslims doing so in order to rationalize their own plight, will become like jumping the shark TO THEM.

here's to hoping.

thousands of years of disinformation and misinformation and leaders using tribal disputes to solidify their own positions doesn't change in a day.

but yes, forward progress.

here's to hoping.

I agree...

Good article, thanks for posting.

Well, Jillian, looks like the answer to your question about how conservatives will react to one of these guys being from Bush is simply to ignore it and, instead, cry about a mosque in New York City.

sad, really.

Well, Jillian, looks like the answer to your question about how conservatives will react to one of these guys being from Bush is simply to ignore it and, instead, cry about a mosque in New York City.

sad, really.

It doesn't change the fact that putting a mosque near ground zero is a tasteless senseless act. just like the attack on 9-11.

It doesn't change the fact that putting a mosque near ground zero is a tasteless senseless act. just like the attack on 9-11.

You equate putting up a Mosque to one of the worst attacks in this country's history if not the worst. Don't you think that perhaps you cheapen the deaths of those who died by making such stupid remarks? I think you do.

You equate putting up a Mosque to one of the worst attacks in this country's history if not the worst. Don't you think that perhaps you cheapen the deaths of those who died by making such stupid remarks? I think you do.

I don't give a fuck what you think. I stand with the rest of the 70% REAL AMERICANS who think they are acting stupidly. Actually.

I don't give a fuck what you think. I stand with the rest of the 70% REAL AMERICANS who think they are acting stupidly. Actually.

So anyone who doesn't agree with you on this subject isn't a Real American. Again, don't you think that is a bit hyper-partisan rhetoric?

sad, really.

911 was a tasteless act??????

So anyone who doesn't agree with you on this subject isn't a Real American. Again, don't you think that is a bit hyper-partisan rhetoric?

what part of "I don't give a fuck what you think" don't you get? you are the most dishonest fuck on the board and the most partisan.. so don't preach to me you big assed hypocrite.

sad, really.

911 was a tasteless act??????

you thought 9-11 was tasteful?

what part of "I don't give a fuck what you think" don't you get? you are the most dishonest fuck on the board and the most partisan.. so don't preach to me you big assed hypocrite.

I think people who call others not real Americans simply because they're defending the Constitution is a bit more partisan and dishonest to say the least than I could ever be. Sad thing is Willow, people like yourself at the rate the rhetoric is going are going to end up hurting this nation far more than the Islamic terrorists ever could dream of. Osama Bin Laden's greatest victory will be the continuation of our shredding of our Bill of Rights in order to act like it makes us a little more safer at night.

I think people who call others not real Americans simply because they're defending the Constitution is a bit more partisan and dishonest to say the least than I could ever be. Sad thing is Willow, people like yourself at the rate the rhetoric is going are going to end up hurting this nation far more than the Islamic terrorists ever could dream of. Osama Bin Laden's greatest victory will be the continuation of our shredding of our Bill of Rights in order to act like it makes us a little more safer at night.

Vineyarders Luke Warm On Obama Visit - Video - WCVB Boston

you should go join them, you sound suited for it..

sad, really.

your opinion of taste matters! Remind me to let you know what you SHOULD have named your kids instead of what you did name them. poor taste and all that.

coincidentally, neither do the muslims constructing a mosque in NEW YORK give a fuck about what you think. See how that works?

VIVA AMERICA!

ps.. they are just as "real" as you are in the eyes of our citizenship. sorry to have to break it to you..

Forum List

Back