I’m trying hard not to buy a drone.

This vid was done without the realsense tech and with older firmware.....

Last edited:
Just a suggestion.

Buy a cheap syma. Learn to control it manually with it, not the expensive one. Can get one for 50 bucks.
I decided against practicing with a cheap one because this thing looks super easy to fly. I hope it’s a decision I won’t later regret. lol

I get that. I've flown one like yours and it is really easy. You will probably do fine.

I started on cheap Syma 5's and 8's, so learned stick flying early. Only had problems with the Phantom once (must have been some kind of interference), but was glad I understood manual flying at that point.

Will love hearing about your experiences. Hope they are every bit as positive as mine have been.

I'm Betting you will love it.

Best of luck

After years of holding back on buying a drone, an IT guy at work stopped me because he knew I would be interested in the photography aspect. His boss (our IT VP) has several of my pics hanging in his office.

I later went to his office for more info... and then called the GF thinking she would talk me out of buying one. She laughed and reminded me of talking about getting one.

This is the one he’s bringing in this Friday.....
Yuneec Typhoon 4K | Quadcopter Drone with 4K Camera

I can’t help thinking about this being a short lived hobby.

Anyone here into flying these things?
I've had several cheaper ones. A word of advice if I may: Make certain this 1000 dollar drone you buy has GPS with return home function. It's very easy to become disoriented flying one that gets too far away and you can no longer tell which way it's pointing. By which way it's pointing I mean frontward or backward. If you can't tell that it has rotated and is no longer oriented the way you think it is, it's very easy to lose it. The return feature makes it hard to lose.

After years of holding back on buying a drone, an IT guy at work stopped me because he knew I would be interested in the photography aspect. His boss (our IT VP) has several of my pics hanging in his office.

I later went to his office for more info... and then called the GF thinking she would talk me out of buying one. She laughed and reminded me of talking about getting one.

I've had several cheaper ones. A word of advice if I may: Make certain this 1000 dollar drone you buy has GPS with return home function. It's very easy to become disoriented flying one that gets too far away and you can no longer tell which way it's pointing. By which way it's pointing I mean frontward or backward. If you can't tell that it has rotated and is no longer oriented the way you think it is, it's very easy to lose it. The return feature makes it hard to lose.

Agreed, one of the best functions on these is the return home.

I’ve watched several hours of vids before pulling the trigger on this one. lol

One of the vids showed 3 ways of regaining control. This will be my first time flying a drone, and I’m feeling confident. :)

Last edited:
Just a suggestion.

Buy a cheap syma. Learn to control it manually with it, not the expensive one. Can get one for 50 bucks.
I decided against practicing with a cheap one because this thing looks super easy to fly. I hope it’s a decision I won’t later regret. lol

I get that. I've flown one like yours and it is really easy. You will probably do fine.

I started on cheap Syma 5's and 8's, so learned stick flying early. Only had problems with the Phantom once (must have been some kind of interference), but was glad I understood manual flying at that point.

Will love hearing about your experiences. Hope they are every bit as positive as mine have been.

I'm Betting you will love it.

Best of luck
I’ll be sure to post some videos after I’ve had time to learn more. :)

I’m thinking about getting the Marco Polo recovery device because I’ll be able to see the telemetry data from the controller. That data should get me well within range to find the copter.

I made a topic on it last year on here, I ended up buying one in February on Amazon, messed with it for a few hours and got bored with it....

I made a topic on it last year on here, I ended up buying one in February on Amazon, messed with it for a few hours and got bored with it....
I can see myself liking this because the camera is capable of taking RAW pics. It’s the only reason why I bought it.

Forum List

Back