"I'm tired of rallies. I want to fight!"

Mr.Fitnah

Dreamcrusher
Jul 14, 2009
Paradise.
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- "I'm tired of rallies. I want to fight!" So said Tim Burga, operations director of the Ohio AFL-CIO, addressing the hundreds who had braved the cold Feb. 20 to attend a "Pass It Now" rally for health care reform at the SEIU Local 1199 hall here.

There was a sense of real urgency in the hall, as speaker after speaker pounded on the point that, as Brian Rothenberg of Progress Ohio stated, "We now have 6 weeks to win the fight our people have been fighting since the Truman administration: health care for all!"

Becky Williams, president of SEIU, 1199, was interrupted by loud cheers as she led off the rally, telling the crowd, "We have three things to tell the administration and the majority in congress.

"One -- we worked for and voted for change last year. That means actually changing what was there when you got there.

"Two -- we need for you to lead with courage, not be intimidated by Fox News and Teabaggers.

"Three, don't be fooled by lies!" she said. "If you do these things we'll be with you, and the 66% of Americans who, according to polls are demanding that health care reform be passed."

Williams went on to point out that "pundits are talking about bipartisanship, but over 40% of that 66% supporting reform are Republicans. While the national media talks, 44,000 Americans lost health care last week and that many will be dropped next week, and every week until we win this fight," she said.

"Four hundred twenty one of our friends, neighbors died last week for not having access to health care, and that will continue, as well."

"I'm tired of rallies. I want to fight!" peoplesworld

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- "I'm tired of rallies. I want to fight!" So said Tim Burga, operations director of the Ohio AFL-CIO, addressing the hundreds who had braved the cold Feb. 20 to attend a "Pass It Now" rally for health care reform at the SEIU Local 1199 hall here.

There was a sense of real urgency in the hall, as speaker after speaker pounded on the point that, as Brian Rothenberg of Progress Ohio stated, "We now have 6 weeks to win the fight our people have been fighting since the Truman administration: health care for all!"

Becky Williams, president of SEIU, 1199, was interrupted by loud cheers as she led off the rally, telling the crowd, "We have three things to tell the administration and the majority in congress.

"One -- we worked for and voted for change last year. That means actually changing what was there when you got there.

"Two -- we need for you to lead with courage, not be intimidated by Fox News and Teabaggers.

"Three, don't be fooled by lies!" she said. "If you do these things we'll be with you, and the 66% of Americans who, according to polls are demanding that health care reform be passed."

Williams went on to point out that "pundits are talking about bipartisanship, but over 40% of that 66% supporting reform are Republicans. While the national media talks, 44,000 Americans lost health care last week and that many will be dropped next week, and every week until we win this fight," she said.

"Four hundred twenty one of our friends, neighbors died last week for not having access to health care, and that will continue, as well."

"I'm tired of rallies. I want to fight!" peoplesworld

guy is obviously running with the wrong crowd, like jake from
lonesome dove.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NVLGbGRlfw]YouTube - Ohio AFL-CIO Tim Burga: Health Care Finish Reform Right Rally[/ame]

Just more union thugs wanting to destroy what this country was founded on.

He need to be careful whom he claims he wants to fight. If he shows up at a rally he might run into the wrong crowd and get stomped into a mud hole.

He need to be careful whom he claims he wants to fight. If he shows up at a rally he might run into the wrong crowd and get stomped into a mud hole.

Unions are a part of our history. That many of them have outlasted their initial purpose and cause plenty of headaches for us all these days is a fact as well. Yet it is also true that our devotion to capitalism leads us down some ugly roads too.

All this guy is doing is asking for those elected officials to follow through on their campaign promises and deliver what the people have asked for.

Not quite sure what you mean by your second statement. I mean, I do, but it's a pretty silly sentiment. Beating on someone for standing up for solid principles seems counter-intuitive to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Unions are a part of our history. That many of them have outlasted their initial purpose and cause plenty of headaches for us all these days is a fact as well. Yet it is also true that our devotion to capitalism leads us down some ugly roads too.

All this guy is doing is asking for those elected officials to follow through on their campaign promises and deliver what the people have asked for.

Not quite sure what you mean by your second statement. I mean, I do, but it's a pretty silly sentiment. Beating on someone for standing up for solid principles seems counter-intuitive to me.

Just my 2 cents.

With the history of Union violence, esp lately at the town halls, it means just that. If they come looking for a fight, which he claims he is, he might find one. People are sick of unions thugs bullying people around. One day they might find themselves outnumbered and in the wrong place and people like this man whom is inciting violence, might get what he is asking for.

Just my 2 cents.

With the history of Union violence, esp lately at the town halls, it means just that. If they come looking for a fight, which he claims he is, he might find one. People are sick of unions thugs bullying people around. One day they might find themselves outnumbered and in the wrong place and people like this man whom is inciting violence, might get what he is asking for.

History of union violence? Damnable liars like you definately would like to convince those completely ignorant of the history of this nation that that is the case.

Most of the time it was hired thugs killing people asking for a living wage.

An Eclectic List of Events in U.S. Labor History
13 January 1874
The original Tompkins Square Riot. As unemployed workers demonstrated in New York's Tompkins Square Park, a detachment of mounted police charged into the crowd, beating men, women and children indiscriminately with billy clubs and leaving hundreds of casualties in their wake. Commented Abram Duryee, the Commissioner of Police: "It was the most glorious sight I ever saw..."

MonthlyFeature

On the morning of April 20, 1914 the National Guard opened machine gun and rifle fire on the tent colony in Ludlow and then set it on fire. The bodies of the two women and eleven children were found in a pit dug under a tent where they had been hiding - they had either suffocated or burned to death. Three strikers, including Louis Tikas - a leader of the colony, were taken prisoner and then killed by militiamen.

All there is there now is a monument and an empty field.

Just my 2 cents.

History of union violence? Damnable liars like you definately would like to convince those completely ignorant of the history of this nation that that is the case.

13 January 1874
The original Tompkins Square Riot. As unemployed workers demonstrated in New York's Tompkins Square Park, a detachment of mounted police charged into the crowd, beating men, women and children indiscriminately with billy clubs and leaving hundreds of casualties in their wake. Commented Abram Duryee, the Commissioner of Police: "It was the most glorious sight I ever saw..."

If you're gonna link, link to something legitimate.

al's home page

Welcome to my home page, a resource for documenting my passion and work - primarily in the realms of music, radio-electronics and archaeology/history.
I currently play in three bands: Musica Universalis, an early music consort, The Mitzfits, a small klezmer band, and the larger Cornell University Klezmer Ensemble. My music page contains samples of my music. I am also author of the authoritative online Guide to Classical Indian/Jazz Fusion.

You can read a bit more about myself, see the latest projects i've been working on, or consult my master list of lists.

Good grief.

And... like it or not, unions have had their fair share of thuggery from within. Personally, I would rather not have people like Andy Stern and Crew close to the seat of power in this country. They are NOT a special interest group, 'We, the People' are THE ONLY special interest group.

That is the change America expected. Not just changing the label on the jackets of the special interests.

Just my 2 cents.

Please elaborate on this "history" you speak of. I remember perhaps one incident at a town hall?

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, some unions have had some incidents in their history, but it's disingenuous at best to say it's widespread and occurring with any regularity. The fact remains that without unions there might still be plenty of people not earning legitimate wages at jobs like these. Let's leave the hyperbole out of the discussion. The basics of this article describe a man passionately attempting to push forward and accomplish the goals explicitly set forth by newly elected officials. If he has a history of inciting violence, make that case. If he doesn't, then what's your real argument?

Just my 2 cents.

Unions are a function of capitalism, not something outside of capitalism. They aren't government instruments, even those that represent government workers are civilian entities. That said, you don't have to be devoted to either capitalism or unions; You can be devoted to both.

The man here's right to be heard is what this country was founded on, as is his right to assemble in a union. It doesn't give him the right to fight physically, and I don't think that's at all what he meant.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, some unions have had some incidents in their history, but it's disingenuous at best to say it's widespread and occurring with any regularity. The fact remains that without unions there might still be plenty of people not earning legitimate wages at jobs like these. Let's leave the hyperbole out of the discussion. The basics of this article describe a man passionately attempting to push forward and accomplish the goals explicitly set forth by newly elected officials. If he has a history of inciting violence, make that case. If he doesn't, then what's your real argument?

The argument is that union use this type of language to threaten people all the time.

History, it long. From us one week of town hall meeting. Its getting so bad that even the union are starting to comdemn it while working up their members behind closed doors.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: 202-785-0266
12 AUGUST 2009
[email protected]

Union Town Hall Violence Toward Concerned Citizens Condemned
Labor enters town-hall debates to push left-wing healthcare agenda

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Alliance for Worker Freedom (AWF), an organization established in 2003 to combat anti-worker legislation and promote free and open labor markets, condemns the recent acts of violence committed by organized labor that occurred during town-hall healthcare debates.

Town hall style public forums across the country ended in violence last week:

◦In St. Louis, Missouri six were arrested for assault, resisting arrest, or suspicion of committing peace disturbances. At the same town-hall meeting, a black conservative activist was hospitalized and subjected to racial slurs.

◦In Tampa, Florida a fistfight broke out after constituents were barred from entering their town-hall meeting by union workers.

◦Looking to circumvent violence, police in Memphis, Tennessee were called to breakup several yelling matches.

SEIU Union Goons Assault Dissenting Employee; Threaten "Next Time We're Going to Kill You"
Mon, 11/09/2009 - 17:04 — Anthony Riedel
Late last week, notoriously corrupt Service Employee International Union (SEIU) Local 1000 brass sent a clear message to those who object and attempt to expose their shady underbellies. When California state employee and part-time reporter Ken Hamidi, a vocal critic of SEIU boss corruption, arrived at a SEIU Local 1000 meeting as in preparation for a cable access show exposing the local's misconduct, SEIU union thugs assaulted him:
Just another example of union thugs at there best.

Just my 2 cents.

13 January 1874

Dude in your PM proved my point of the type of people (you) that are part of unions, nothing but big mouth thugs. BTW, never threaten me again or you will be sorry. You understand that!

Forum List

Back