I'm tired of being screwed over by mechanics

Its not possible to break a caliper. Although sunny man is wrong. On certain vehicles the brake pads can be inatalled backwards so that the backing is facing the rotor rather thannthenfriction material. Doing so would not break the caliper.
Since you are a professional mechanic I will have to take your word for it that it's possible to install disc brake pads backwards on certain models. I have only worked on my personal cars; and the pads could only be installed one way.

In my opinion, any mechanic who would mount a customers disc brake pads backwards.

Most likely writes his work orders with a crayon. :cool:

Its not possible to break a caliper. Although sunny man is wrong. On certain vehicles the brake pads can be inatalled backwards so that the backing is facing the rotor rather thannthenfriction material. Doing so would not break the caliper.
Since you are a professional mechanic I will have to take your word for it that it's possible to install disc brake pads backwards on certain models. I have only worked on my personal cars; and the pads could only be installed one way.

In my opinion, any mechanic who would mount a customers disc brake pads backwards.

Most likely writes his work orders with a crayon. :cool:

On that point we are certainly agreed, and rarely if ever have I ever actually seen it done, but certain pads COULD be installed backwards if a person were a complete idiot and couldn't tell the difference between a metal backing plate and a friction pad.

The more common occurrences are that someone installed the brake calipers on the wrong side of the vehicle which puts the bleeder screws on the wrong side so that air can't be bled out of the system.

and then the even more understandable mistake of using a poor quality pad then wondering why the brakes are noisy or what have you.

That's usually what I see when people have complaints about brake work that others have done.

Seems like an odd place for you to have given me a neg rep. But whatever you havr a nice evening.

think of it as a welcome back.

Another odd comment from you. This is the automotive forum, if you wish to discuss what a great show Welcome Back Kotter was, the TV forum would be the appropriate place for such.

I'd agree, that was a great TV show, so not sure why you would neg rep me there either.

Seems like an odd place for you to have given me a neg rep. But whatever you havr a nice evening.

Another odd comment from you. This is the automotive forum, if you wish to discuss what a great show Welcome Back Kotter was, the TV forum would be the appropriate place for such.

I'd agree, that was a great TV show, so not sure why you would neg rep me there either.

nothing odd about it at all.....

but play it how you want.....

If an auto technician has screwed you over in the past do to your lack of knowledge on the subject, I apologize and can sympathize, but no reason to take it out on me, I can assure you it wasn't me because I don't take advantage of my customers. I kind of like sleeping at night.

No reason to take your frustration with a dishonest "mechanic" out on me.

If an auto technician has screwed you over in the past do to your lack of knowledge on the subject, I apologize and can sympathize, but no reason to take it out on me, I can assure you it wasn't me because I don't take advantage of my customers. I kind of like sleeping at night.

I don't take my car to be serviced at a tire shop..... So i have no issues with my auto mechanics.

but play it how you want.

How can a common man find a reputable shop where the mechanic's salary doesn't depend on his sales? I am constantly being bombarded with things they say I need done when I only want to car to keep the car running. I am not rich. Most places charge 80 bucks an hour for labor. They want 80 bucks just to check an engine light on the dash and that does not include fixing it. I know I'm getting screwed because I go from place to place and every prognosis is different.

Do what you do when searching for a Dr or dentist. I agree, many auto repair shops are rip off joints, but most are not. On top of that, many mechanics are not hourly employees in the manner you think they are. Some pay rent on the stall where they work as well as buy there own tools . One poster made a good recommendation about auto zone, you can also get a Chilton manual and give it a try your self. I will ask to take a look at mine when I get the oil done. 9 times out of ten, its nothing more then a wonky light.

I don't take my car to be serviced at a tire shop..... So i have no issues with my auto mechanics.

not sure what you getting at there. Most professional Automotive technician, especially independent shops, offer full service Auto repair. That includes servicing and replacing tires. Suggesting otherwise would be like suggesting that say a restaurant would not also serve drinks.

How can a common man find a reputable shop where the mechanic's salary doesn't depend on his sales? I am constantly being bombarded with things they say I need done when I only want to car to keep the car running. I am not rich. Most places charge 80 bucks an hour for labor. They want 80 bucks just to check an engine light on the dash and that does not include fixing it. I know I'm getting screwed because I go from place to place and every prognosis is different.

Do what you do when searching for a Dr or dentist. I agree, many auto repair shops are rip off joints, but most are not. On top of that, many mechanics are not hourly employees in the manner you think they are. Some pay rent on the stall where they work as well as buy there own tools . One poster made a good recommendation about auto zone, you can also get a Chilton manual and give it a try your self. I will ask to take a look at mine when I get the oil done. 9 times out of ten, its nothing more then a wonky light.

Untrue. 999 out of 1000 times if a service light comes on it is for a reason and thrre is no shade tree way to diagnose and repair.
.. People need to understand that the modern automobile is a computer on wheels and as such requires a technician and they should expect professional service and B willing to pay for that service.

not sure what you getting at there. Most professional Automotive technician, especially independent shops, offer full service Auto repair. That includes servicing and replacing tires. Suggesting otherwise would be like suggesting that say a restaurant would not also serve drinks.

yes...i have seen.... private companies categorized as tire shops.

i am suggesting what these tire shops offer is nothing more then unknown brainless facts who try to con you..... chew on that for a while. :tongue:

i am suggesting what these tire shops offer is nothing more then unknown brainless facts who try to con you..... chew on that for a while. :tongue:

Look dude I don't have any idea what your problem is nor do I care but you have no reason to continually derail this thread.

And with that I am done trying to discuss this topic with you. Have a nice evening.

Look dude I don't have any idea what your problem is nor do I care but you have no reason to continually derail this thread.

And with that I am done trying to discuss this topic with you. Have a nice evening.

really? ...its your thread now?

bwhahahahaha.

Ethanol is usually the cause of that check engine light.

It means your Catalytic-converter is fried.

Last edited:

Ethanol is usually the cause of that check engine light.

It means your Catalytic-converter is fried. Ignore it.

Good advice there. especially if the person live in a state that performs emissions testing.

I guess I'm lucky. I work at a huge corporation with about 5000 people on site. There is an auto shop right next door. I take my car there. They know that if they screw me over I'm gong to tell 5000 people that they screwed me.

Forum List

Back