I'm thinking of joining a church with my kids

Hmmm, good question, and one that I believe you should primarily consider for how you want your children reared and what you want them to believe. If it was me, I would probably gravitate toward some type of Unity (not Unitarian) church, or something that focuses more on loving principles for living than on history and dogma.

That sounds good.

Try Sunni Islam...you'll be ahead of the curve.

istanbul_blue_mosque.jpg

I see a bunch of breasts and dicks.

Same here.

You just answered your own hole. Just because they claim it doesn't mean it's so. ;)
the point being, they all call themselves "bible based"
you dont actually KNOW this till you actually visit and see what they teach

case in point, call any church on the phone and ask them if they are bible based
i can almost guaranty that not one of them will say "NO"

I agree. That is why you have to go to some you think might be good and compare what they say with what the Bible says. If what they say lines up with three or more scriptures for each thing then it is likely Bible based.

Don't stop there though. You should continually be checking their sermons with the Bible. Never accept what anyone says about the Bible without researching it yourself.

Like I've said before, I am not a fan of the Bible.

In fact, the further the church strays from the bible, the better.

the point being, they all call themselves "bible based"
you dont actually KNOW this till you actually visit and see what they teach

case in point, call any church on the phone and ask them if they are bible based
i can almost guaranty that not one of them will say "NO"

I agree. That is why you have to go to some you think might be good and compare what they say with what the Bible says. If what they say lines up with three or more scriptures for each thing then it is likely Bible based.

Don't stop there though. You should continually be checking their sermons with the Bible. Never accept what anyone says about the Bible without researching it yourself.

Not all churches claim to be bible based. They will say their church has its foundations in scripture, but that's not the same thing as saying they are a New Testament church.

A New Testament church is a church which adheres strictly to the concept of church as it is in the bible.

As previously stated.

What sect do you recommend and why?

If you are searching for a place to go, you must have a reason, a motivation, a purpose. I'd say you need to head in the direction that will satisfy all of those.

However, if you are just bating people to debate which church is best, you will just get bored.

I'm not baiting people.

My wife and I have just thought it was time to bring the kids to church.

My 5 year old recognizes mortality, as he often states that the only people who can't die are God and Santa.

I suppose that depends on your purposes for going to church.

If it's to socialize or learn morals, any church might suffice.

If it's to help you and your family actually get to know God and the Truth, that's a bit more difficult. For that, I suggest you and your family pray about it together and investigate.

Have faith in God. Investigate. and Listen to the Spirit. I am confident you'll be alright.

I think the socializing and morals is what I'm looking for.

I've always liked this one of any I studied:

Shinto | Religions of Japan | Japanese Spirituality | Shintoism | Beliefs | History

Shinto is an ancient Japanese faith that dates back thousands of years but it is quite unlike most other religions. Shinto has no major scripture, no predetermined code of ethics or religious conduct and no founder.
Pretty liitle (sometimes big, but the point is they don't have to be) shrines, found mostly in natural settings, to ask or thank appropriate Kami for specific sets of blessings, no compulsory attendance, no socially exalted standing for appearance, and no social disapproval for lack thereof.

CVFTD00Z.jpg

Doesn't that look pretty and peaceful?

Looks beautiful.

Avoid the churches that claim to be the only church.

Avoid the chuches that tell you you're going to hell if you don't go to their church.

Non denominational is fine but avoid those in which one person is the absolute authority even if he seems to be straight arrow and saintly. Choose one in which the pastor or pastors work with a board of elders or other group of lay people to establish policy and solve problems.

Choose a church that has an active, thriving youth group with religious instruction and other activities. Usually a really good praise band or a youth choir is your first clue that you'll find the kids involved and loving being part of the church instead of out raising hell someplace.

Choose a church that encourages members to also meet together in small groups separate from the main worship service. That will be a church that is likely to take its role seriously and is doing church the Biblical way.

Choose a church that greets people and you see a lot of smiles and hear a lot of laughter. If all you see are gloomy faces or frowns, run, don't walk to the nearest exit.

And when you're visiting, if it feels uncomfortable or just doesn't feel quite right, trust your gut and visit somewhere else.

Excellent suggestions!

I've been in a lot of churches, and I've never seen one individual church say it's necessary to join that church or go to hell.

Now the Catholics think their church is the one true religion, the bride of Christ, the true church.

But I've never been in any other church that has that slant. It's just a Catholic thing.

I couldn't do Catholic...I did it for a while as a kid.

I've been in a lot of churches, and I've never seen one individual church say it's necessary to join that church or go to hell.

Now the Catholics think their church is the one true religion, the bride of Christ, the true church.

But I've never been in any other church that has that slant. It's just a Catholic thing.
i have
they are scary when you think about it

Catholics...the chosen people.

Doesn't the Bass claim the Church of Christ is the only true church?

I have never been to a church that was too overbearing. If I do go, I usually go to a Lutheran church, they always seem to be pretty excepting.

Doesn't Bass go to the church where they play with snakes?

Forum List

Back