I'm thinking of joining a church with my kids

I've been in a lot of churches, and I've never seen one individual church say it's necessary to join that church or go to hell.

Now the Catholics think their church is the one true religion, the bride of Christ, the true church.

But I've never been in any other church that has that slant. It's just a Catholic thing.

We claim that because we are. We are the only church that traces its history back to St Peter, and of course, we all know who his BBF was, right?

On the bright side, these days, we don't tell y'all that you won't go to Heaven cuz you ain't Catholic. We used to. Nowadays, we're quite pally-pally with other faiths. I think that's nice.

I'm not bashing Catholics, Cali...just saying they're the only Christian church that I'm aware of that claims you need to belong to that church to attain heaven...

I'm not bashing Catholics, Cali...just saying they're the only Christian church that I'm aware of that claims you need to belong to that church to attain heaven...

's ok, Baba. I didn't think you were. I openly accept that other faiths can and should criticize the Catholic Church. I do so myself. I just like to remind people of the reason why we refer to our Church as the 'one true Church'.... it's because, historically, we can back up that claim. :lol: For the record, I don't think that makes us any more important than any other Church, it just makes us different. I support the Churches working together for the good of Christianity rather than fighting among ourselves. When the Christians* work together, we can work miracles. :eusa_angel:

*Disclaimer: I also like it when we work with non-Christians. In fact, if we (Jews, Christians and Muslims) worked together, we could 86 these atheists in a New York minute. LOL

Last edited:
I've been to churches of various faiths. I think Foxfyre has the right idea.

I was raised in the Presbyterian church - both before and after a Presbyterian orphanage. It was a little tough being taught that "God is love" while you're getting the crap beaten out of you. Oddly enough, the only Bible verse we were not allowed to quote in nightly prayers was "Jesus wept." The youth minister in the particular church I attended essentially turned me off on religion. The Presbyterian concept of "predestination" was not of much comfort.

The fire and brimstone screamers scare the shit out of me. It's not the majority of Baptist churches and I don't know if this is limited to the so-called "Bible Belt" Baptist churches or what, but they pretty much teach that if there's anything that might bring enjoyment into your life - it's a sin to do it. Just about anything was cause for you to be sent straight to hell.

My Dad's family was Catholic and there were many concepts of the church that I had a hard time dealing with. Even though I converted, I found I couldn't reconcile myself to a lot of things.

A religious cult almost cost me my life. I couldn't breathe for the restrictions and I couldn't see my way out. When the cult finally crashed due to revelations of sexcapades and misuse of funds I finally saw my way out and I never looked back.

I did find a great deal of comfort when I attended a Jewish Synagogue. I was at wit's end trying to find comfort and something I could believe in so I finally called a Rabbi. He came to my house and as I was telling him about my religious difficulties, he actually sat on my sofa and cried. He talked to me some about the Jewish faith and I decided to go to a service to see what it was all about. I never converted to Judaism, but it gave me something to believe in - and I pretty much stick to the teachings of the Old Testament. It makes sense to me - particularly the Ten Commandments.

I think Foxfyre gave the best answer - listen to your heart/gut feelings.

What sect do you recommend and why?

I suggest you consider Free Frizbeetarianism.

Why?

Whenever two or more of you are playing together the spirit of God is with you.

It's litergy is laugher.

Congregational mirth is evidence that the holy spirit is with them.

Their church is the local swimming hole, a playground, a particularly beautiful night sky...wherever and whenever two or more Frizbeetarians have come together in holy hilarity to reach the comic cosmic consciousness.

Frizbeetarianism - No dues, no dogma, no damnation.

How old are the kidlets, xotoxi? Do you want religious instruction as well as worship?

For very very very bright kidlets, I'd say join a Jewish Reform Temple. If the kidlets are just starting first grade, they'll benefit hugely from learning Hebrew (fabulous language) and the ethics instructions cannot be beat.

Kids are 5 and 2.

We'd like them to have some instruction, so that they can grow up with morals...the opposite of which I provide. ;)

If you like good fried chicken, I'd go with the Southern Baptist folks. If somebody dies, or there is a pot luck supper down at the church, you can be sure to get some good fried chicken at one of these events.

I like fried chicken, but I don't live in the South.

I go to a Methodist Church and we have a pretty darned good coffee hour after church services on Sunday morning. Good coffee. Home made cookies and sometimes cake. Can catch up on all the latest gossip. Yes, Methodist are allowed to gossip. That's another good thing about the Methodist Church. I betcha our young ladies look better than your average Presbyterians too...

Sounds good.

But I've always wondered...which method to choose?

The Presbyterians have the best coffee hour. The Anglican/Episcopals have the best liturgy. The Evangelicals have the best outreach programs. The Catholics have the grandest claims.

I go to a Methodist Church and we have a pretty darned good coffee hour after church services on Sunday morning. Good coffee. Home made cookies and sometimes cake. Can catch up on all the latest gossip. Yes, Methodist are allowed to gossip. That's another good thing about the Methodist Church. I betcha our young ladies look better than your average Presbyterians too...

Presbyterians don't have too many young ladies, unfortunately. :lol:

Presbyterians also have bad eyesight.

i'd say check out as many non-denominational churches as you can find

The non-denominational churches are highly dependent on the personality of the pastor, with no denominational oversight. Sometimes the pastor is a power hungry megalomaniac, unfortunately.
which is why i said to visit as many as you can ;)

But, once you have encountered the power hungry megalomaniac, you can't escape...soon you find yourself in South America drinking poisoned Kool-Aid.

Forum List

Back