I'm still having trouble here

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Now I can't seem to get pages to load. Whatever I'm clicking on will just sit there, although the routing will eventually skip to "done" when of course it isn't. I've had to log off, return to my home page, then back to USMB and log back on to read or post anything. Then it will freeze up again.

NOW what??

Now I can't seem to get pages to load. Whatever I'm clicking on will just sit there, although the routing will eventually skip to "done" when of course it isn't. I've had to log off, return to my home page, then back to USMB and log back on to read or post anything. Then it will freeze up again.

NOW what??
I have similar experiences now and then. I don't think you have to log off...just back up one page and redo your click to the one you want.

If your browser opens a new opens a new window when the malfunction occurs, note the name assigned to it and also see if the window you just exited is still on the window-menu-bar.

Every time I log on I am sent to a PM that I answered long ago. I think that problem is with me, not at USMB. (However, it does occur whether I use my laptop or my netbook so it may be there.) The other problem (that you and I both suffer) may be at either end...I can't tell. With all the screwy things that have been going on with quote commands and other things, I think there may be a bug at problem at USMB or the mods are having some holiday fun.

I haven't had any problems (crossing my fingers) at USMB.

It would be nice if the mods explained what was going on, though.

Hello?

NOW what??

This site is slow sometimes because of one thing or another....heavy traffic or whatever else you're doing on your own PC..

I am having slow service but it is not just to here so can't blame USMB. Something that has worked for me in the past when getting slow service and page time outs is to enable noscript. I never leave it on for ever cause it also disables video viewing. But it has in the past helped speed up service across the internet on slow mornings.

Thanks for the replies. This was a unique situation, which seemed to be just a simple freeze (unlike all you've mentioned, which I've also experienced and got around). I did notice today, however, a Mozilla tab that appeared in the start menu. So all was well once I deleted that. Since I'm still not overly familiar with all the "messages" and explanations Mazilla/Firefox provides, I'm probably at fault here and not the result of glitches experienced by USMB in the last few days.

I am still thinking you might have some malware on your computer. Did you get and run Stinger as I suggested in the other thread?

Thanks for the replies. This was a unique situation, which seemed to be just a simple freeze (unlike all you've mentioned, which I've also experienced and got around). I did notice today, however, a Mozilla tab that appeared in the start menu. So all was well once I deleted that. Since I'm still not overly familiar with all the "messages" and explanations Mazilla/Firefox provides, I'm probably at fault here and not the result of glitches experienced by USMB in the last few days.

The Mozilla program tends to slow things down.

Any browser with that many capabilities tends to.

I am still thinking you might have some malware on your computer. Did you get and run Stinger as I suggested in the other thread?

No, since I haven't had any actual intrusions. Is Stinger a permanent anti-virus program or just a scan? I think you also suggested Hijack This. Same thing?

Firefox consistently is found to be faster than any other browser. Especially when running AdBlock with it. This according to the objective cnet.

I've found it so in my personal experience as well.

No, since I haven't had any actual intrusions. Is Stinger a permanent anti-virus program or just a scan? I think you also suggested Hijack This. Same thing?
Stinger is a stand alone utility that scans for and removes viruses, trojans, malware and etc.

HijackThis! gets browser hijackers out of your registry.

Both are freeware and are updated regularly.

"Actual intrusions" can and do happen without you're ever knowing about them.

Firefox consistently is found to be faster than any other browser. Especially when running AdBlock with it. This according to the objective cnet.

Running it on a network here on post slows it down.

I've never had that issue. "On post" is, Military?

Do you use AdBlock?

Stinger is a stand alone utility that scans for and removes viruses, trojans, malware and etc.

Thanks. I'll find the links you posted and do it. (I also love "free"). I think you also said your permanent AV was AVG? How much is that (for when my Norton trial runs out)?

:eek: You mean you are posting here on the taxpayer's dime?

Thanks. I'll find the links you posted and do it. (I also love "free"). I think you also said your permanent AV was AVG? How much is that (for when my Norton trial runs out)?
AVG has a free version, but the pay version has many more good features. It's $25 a year for the license.

I've never had that issue. "On post" is, Military?

Do you use AdBlock?

Don't know...it's not my PC.

It sometimes causes it to time out and you have to retry.

It happens more often then when I used explorer.

AVG has a free version, but the pay version has many more good features. It's $25 a year for the license.

I'll sign on to that one eventually. I just downloaded the other two (very fast!), so I presume I'm as well diapered as possible for another 30 days or so. Thanks for all your help.

I'll sign on to that one eventually. I just downloaded the other two (very fast!), so I presume I'm as well diapered as possible for another 30 days or so. Thanks for all your help.
Let us all know what, if anything, Stinger and HijackThis! find, if you please.

Forum List

Back