I'm starving...now what should we have for dinner?

I love putting roast and broccoli in a blender and making a nice protein smoothie.

It's disgusting.

I think we're having roast tonight...I have a big chuck roast...

Oven at 325
oil a cast iron skillet or other oven-proof dish

Slap the roast in

I like to sear roast on both sides usually (either on the stove or by turning up the oven to 400 and cooking till brown on the bottom, then flipping it and cooking it a few minutes more, then turning down the heat, adding a cup or two of water and covering it)...then cooking for 3 hours (no matter what size roast) at 325...

If I can't sear, then I just oil the pan, oven at 325, and I sprinkle some beef boullion over the top of it...it gives it a little color. Then I can just stick a cup or two of water in there, put a lid on it, and leave it for the afternoon (always 3 hours, 3.5 is better).

If you have a crock pot, take a roast and drop it in the crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a packet of onion soup mix, and leave it to cook all day long. You'll have roast and gravy when you get home.

That sounds absolutely amazing, I am going to make a roast on Saturday.

I don't put anything in with mine. Sometimes I'll throw in veggies at the end; if you put them in at the beginning, they're mush by the end and everything tastes the same.

I sometimes will put in carrots..I'm not a fan of potatoes cooked with roast but lots of people are so sometimes I throw them in and cook them for about the last hour or so. Maybe a little longer in the crock pot.

I don't put anything in with mine. Sometimes I'll throw in veggies at the end; if you put them in at the beginning, they're mush by the end and everything tastes the same.

I sometimes will put in carrots..I'm not a fan of potatoes cooked with roast but lots of people are so sometimes I throw them in and cook them for about the last hour or so. Maybe a little longer in the crock pot.

Hmm so throw the veggies in like during the last hour?

I still use the same wok for dinner I've been using since 1983. I make killer stir fry with a succulent sauce

yep, unless you are in a hurry, you can dice them into smaller pieces for faster cooking.

yep, unless you are in a hurry, you can dice them into smaller pieces for faster cooking.

Roger that.

Celery and onion are good ones to throw in there, too.

You can put them in at any time, they can cook the whole time with the roast in fact...they will essentially cook down to nothing but flavor..unlike potatoes which just get mealy, and carrots which I love but which have a strong flavor that I don't like to permeate the meat and gravy.

Personal preference...

Celery and onion are good ones to throw in there, too.

You can put them in at any time, they can cook the whole time with the roast in fact...they will essentially cook down to nothing but flavor..unlike potatoes which just get mealy, and carrots which I love but which have a strong flavor that I don't like to permeate the meat and gravy.

Personal preference...

This is making my mouth water.

Forum List

Back