I'm starving...now what should we have for dinner?

I think what I want is artisan bread, blue cheese and smoked oysters.

Yuuuummmmmm

I considered Chinese but the boy doesn't like it.

I had bread/blue cheese and smoked oysters. I shared with Klaus, who is fond of fish and oysters, and VERRRY fond of blue cheese.

My daughter also had smoked oysters.

The kids wanted McD's, I went with it last night.

Lol...do you like oysters?

Pan fried oysters:

1 jar raw oysters (small or medium)
oil
flour or bread crumbs or panko coating mix
salt/pepper
Italian seasoning
Lemon (or lemon juice)

Open the oysters, drain off the liquid. Heat pan till it's hot, add oil, quite a bit, at least 1/4", up to 1/2", heat it up till it's pretty hot (but not smoking insanely)

The breading is easy; if you use panko, just get a dish and don't put anything else in it except the breading (and maybe italian seasoning...). If you use bread crumbs or flour, mix salt, pepper, italian seasoning..I like to add parmesan cheese to it, too, but that's up to you.

Drop an oyster in, then sort of smash it down into the breading with the back of a fork...turn it over and do it again. I like to sort of flatten the thickest part of it. It will sort of split and goosh a little, that's okay.

Drop it into the pan, do that with each of the oysters until you have a pan full.

Just cook till lightly browned, turn and cook the other side...they're done. It doesn't take long, you don't need eggs.

Serve with lemon, cocktail sause, tartar sauce, whatever you like.

We use the leftover cold ones to make oyster sandwiches, yum yum.

Easy crab salad (if you use fresh crab it's even better):

Salad greens
Crab (canned or fresh)
Chopped green onions
Tomatoes (chopped)
Mayo
Salt/pepper

Mix it up...yum yum. If you use canned crab, use a lot because it sort of disintegrates and you can't really tell it's there.

I made this for my family (kids, mom, aunt, cousins) using some really wonderful fresh crab. Served bread and butter with it, I think we also had sliced avocados (on the side, you don't want green avacado in a crab dish, it makes it look scary). I made a HUGE bowl of it, and they ate it all, even the kids had seconds and thirds.

It's best if you eat it all because like most salads with dressing already on them, it doesn't store that well.

Oh...prep..you just mix everything together. Use Best Foods mayo...salad greens, chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes, crab...put a couple of big spoonfulls of mayo on top, salt, pepper maybe a tiny bit a lemon if you have it (and just a pinch of garlic, if you like) and mix it up.

I think we're having roast tonight...I have a big chuck roast...

Oven at 325
oil a cast iron skillet or other oven-proof dish

Slap the roast in

I like to sear roast on both sides usually (either on the stove or by turning up the oven to 400 and cooking till brown on the bottom, then flipping it and cooking it a few minutes more, then turning down the heat, adding a cup or two of water and covering it)...then cooking for 3 hours (no matter what size roast) at 325...

If I can't sear, then I just oil the pan, oven at 325, and I sprinkle some beef boullion over the top of it...it gives it a little color. Then I can just stick a cup or two of water in there, put a lid on it, and leave it for the afternoon (always 3 hours, 3.5 is better).

If you have a crock pot, take a roast and drop it in the crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a packet of onion soup mix, and leave it to cook all day long. You'll have roast and gravy when you get home.

PS..you can cook roast frozen. Same cooking time, same directions.

Forum List

Back