I'm soul-searching.

http://www.pcp-net.org/encyclopaedia/alienation.html

According to sociologists, social structures can also cause alienation. Although Kelly does not explore the social dimension of alienation, aspects of Personal Construct Theory shed light on how social conditions can impact construct systems. From Marx's analysis of industrialization, it can be deduced that the effects of the capitalist system on the quality of human life are necessarily alienating. Under this system, the owners of the means of production plan what will be produced and how; they also decide how the products will be disseminated. As a consequence, workers are estranged from their capacity for thinking and making decisions about their own behavior, and estranged from the social arrangements that make their labor useful. They are, in Marx's terms, estranged from their "species-being", from the crucial constituents of humanity. When social structure imposes alienation, however, there is no reason to conclude that people are aware of their circumstances, or that they construe their situation realistically. Indeed, research has shown that workers, who are objectively alienated, manage to function satisfactorily in the very frameworks (industrial and quasi-industrial) that create alienating conditions (Seeman, 1965; Willis, 1977). According to Personal Construct Theory, the research findings noted here lead to the hypothesis that laborers who are the victims of social alienation are unaware of their state because they resort to constriction - narrowing the "perceptual field in order to minimize apparent incompatibilities" (Kelly, 1965, p. 564). This type of misconstrual of one's objective socio-economic impasse discloses a flight from dealing with the irreconcilable conditions presented by alienation as surveyed by Seeman (1959): powerlessness, social isolation, self-estrangement, normlessness, and meaninglessness.

-=d=- said:
That may be truer than you imagine. (sigh). :) Cept, if it were a period, why am I not bitchy? I'm more 'introspective' and 'somber' than 'bitchy and irritable'

...he said, between giant scoops of Ben and Jerry's ice cream...

-=d=- said:
That may be truer than you imagine. (sigh). :) Cept, if it were a period, why am I not bitchy? I'm more 'introspective' and 'somber' than 'bitchy and irritable'

Well hell...Seriously -=D=-...I know exactly what you're trying to say, not that it makes ya feel better.
Been there, done that.

-=d=- said:
I haven't worn panties since I was 22. :)

I'm not in a 'mood'...not 'depressed'...just making observations on life; re-evalutating what I thought 'success' looked like. I'm a dreamer, by nature. I'm dreaming aloud (via text) of a simplified lifestyle. A life where the pressures to make a buck were trumped by the pressure to 'hunt, shoot, kill, dress, and carry home a 'buck'. :D

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have been struggling for two years now with, "what I want to do when I grow up". I have been blessed and cursed. What I mean by that, is that at a young age I was able to make a lot of money (blessed), but now I am TOTALLY bored with my life (cursed).

I too sometimes dream of buying a big ranch and riding my horse on it all day long or moving to a small town where I can really become "part of the community". I feel like something is missing and I need to find a new outlet. I burned myself out too early in life and now I need to get re-energized.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
freeandfun1 said:
I too sometimes dream of buying a big ranch and riding my horse on it all day long or moving to a small town where I can really become "part of the community". I feel like something is missing and I need to find a new outlet. I burned myself out too early in life and now I need to get re-energized.

I share that dream. If I were a lawyer, I'd move to Stuckyville and buy an old bowling Alley.

:)

(sigh).

-=d=- said:
I share that dream. If I were a lawyer, I'd move to Stuckyville and buy an old bowling Alley.

:)

(sigh).

For some reason I want to punch that guy in the face.

Forum List

Back