I'm Sick of the Politics of Fear

Yeah we're used to phantom fears from you. Libtards make shit up all the time.

I am not denying the use of scare tactics on the left but that embarrassing display of naked fear (The constitution is dead!) by some on this board yesterday was a rare sight to behold.

Either way...just wait until they declare a winner in November.

It will reach new heights.

People are that freaked out.

Partisan loons are freaked out, everyone else is just weary,

I'm sick of left-wing zealots screaming that the world as we know it is going collapse if we don't spend billions to save some obscure little insect. And I'm already sick of the right-wing zealots trying to scare up votes by telling older folks they aren't going to be able afford health coverage now.

Both sides prey on, incite, and basically scare the heck out of people in order to further their own, selfish political ambitions.

I'm just sick of all the yelling and screaming across the aisle, I'm sick of all those elevating partisan politics ahead of good government, and I'm sick and tired of those manipulating people with fear, religion, or whatever other weapon they find handy in order to con people into voting for them and donating to their election campaigns.

I know this is nothing new - it's been going on since we started this grand experiement called democracy. But it has reached such a sleazy and hated-infused level at this point, that I'm completely fed up.

The candidate(s) who will get my support are the ones who can put country ahead of party, who can constructively work alongside people they disagree with, who can use legislation as a tool for improving our country - NOT as a weapon to try to embarass "the other guys," and who do not twist and distort the issues to scare people into supporting them. They may only get one vote - but it will be mine.

The brokers of fear have existed in American politics for a long time, but before the 70s, there were moderate and liberal Republicans, the ones who championed Civil Rights and other American values, within the GOP. This is no more. I know it's a cheap and easy way out to say both parties are the same, the cheap and easy way has been with American politics for a long time too: It comes most often under the guise of third party candidates for the Presidency.

Third party runs for the Presidency are cheap because they start from the top down...no party building, no consensus outside disgust with the major two party's choices. Well...boo hoo hoo. It's cheap and easy to run against something. It's much more difficult and harder to run for something new, something built up from the ground.

The Democratic party has flirted with becoming hyper-partisan, the latest trend starting after Clinton's Presidency, with progressive leftists proposing throwing out real liberals, moderates, and conservatives out of the fold that is the DNC big tent. It is the major reason I left the Democratic party in 2008.

that said, there is no equivalency between the hyper-partisanship of today's GOP and the DNC.

the Democratic party has a caucus of moderate/conservative Democrats they have elected. Many of those were unelected, not by Democrats, but by uncompromising radical conservatives in their districts.

need I go on?

:cool:
dD

Last edited:
I know this is nothing new - it's been going on since we started this grand experiement called democracy. But it has reached such a sleazy and hated-infused level at this point, that I'm completely fed up.

As far as I know, Thomas Jefferson was the first party leader to call his opponents enemies and question their patriotism.

Jefferson and others later were far more sleazy and hate-infused than we are today, but what they did...was sometimes put aside their hate for grander purposes.

Politics is the art of compromise, and that makes for strange bedfellows.

nuf said

D

As long as we settle for business as usual; we'll get the usual business.
An engaged electorate is the best remedy for what ails the country. Beyond that; little else matters.

fear....zealots.....hyper-partisanship......all can be found in political history.....sometimes compromise cannot be found....

Lincoln, a moderate from a swing state, secured the Republican Party nomination. With almost no support in the South he swept the North and was elected president in 1860. His election was the signal for seven southern slave states to declare their secession from the Union and form the Confederate States of America. The departure of the Southerners gave Lincoln's party firm control of Congress, but no formula for compromise or reconciliation was found. And the war came.

Abraham Lincoln - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fear....zealots.....hyper-partisanship......all can be found in political history.....sometimes compromise cannot be found....

Lincoln, a moderate from a swing state, secured the Republican Party nomination. With almost no support in the South he swept the North and was elected president in 1860. His election was the signal for seven southern slave states to declare their secession from the Union and form the Confederate States of America. The departure of the Southerners gave Lincoln's party firm control of Congress, but no formula for compromise or reconciliation was found. And the war came.

Abraham Lincoln - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lincoln.jpg

With verification, as well!

What Lincoln Forsaw: Corporations "Enthroned" and Re-Writing the Laws Defining Their Existence

I'm sick of left-wing zealots screaming that the world as we know it is going collapse if we don't spend billions to save some obscure little insect. And I'm already sick of the right-wing zealots trying to scare up votes by telling older folks they aren't going to be able afford health coverage now.

Both sides prey on, incite, and basically scare the heck out of people in order to further their own, selfish political ambitions.

I'm just sick of all the yelling and screaming across the aisle, I'm sick of all those elevating partisan politics ahead of good government, and I'm sick and tired of those manipulating people with fear, religion, or whatever other weapon they find handy in order to con people into voting for them and donating to their election campaigns.

The candidate(s) who will get my support are the ones who can put country ahead of party, who can constructively work alongside people they disagree with, who can use legislation as a tool for improving our country - NOT as a weapon to try to embarass "the other guys," and who do not twist and distort the issues to scare people into supporting them. They may only get one vote - but it will be mine.

I'm sick of big government in general.

That is why everyone is bitching and screaming - because the government is to big.....

If we didn't have big government we wouldn't have all these problems.

That is why everyone is bitching and screaming - because the government is to big.....

There are always problems that alarmist reactionaries blow into gigantic problems while cooler heads do something about it.

I had to leave for a bit and was really encouraged by most of the posts left here. Yes, there were a few "it's the other guy's fault" types and that is to be expected.
But what really blows me away is that I can see that even here (where partisanship so often comes to play) that there really are plenty of people who see that it's not all the fault of one side or the other. Political extremism, sleaziness, and fear mongering is not limited to the far left or the far right.

The first time I remember hearing anyone speak of the silent majority was Spiro Agnew. He might have been right about some things and wrong about others, but in my opinion he pretty much nailed that one. In spite of all the people out there yelling and screaming and basically just posing for any camera they can find in order to further their agenda, there are thousands who are just quietly going about their business, doing the best they can, and avoiding any invitations to hyper-partisanship. And they vote.

I feel better and more optimistic. Thanks to those of you who provided me with that gentle reminder.

Last edited:

Mr. Nick, I don't think you can put your finger on one reason why "everybody" is bitching and screaming. I know big government is what has you frustrated and I can respect that. But I also think that it is important that you respect that there are others who are bitching and screaming about other things as well. I don't believe we should try to project our own feelings onto "everyone." If everyone was mad about the same thing, it would go away.

Maybe, right now, the right is getting more attention with their yelling and screaming, but I think it switches back and forth. Perhaps those out of power are the ones who tend to yell so loud. Maybe that's because they aren't the ones who are getting to call the shots...

I believe that's probably the formula. Whichever party is out of power tries to scare everyone into putting them back in power. So it goes in cycles.

Last edited:

Mr. Nick, I don't think you can put your finger on one reason why "everybody" is bitching and screaming. I know big government is what has you frustrated and I can respect that. But I also think that it is important that you respect that there are others who are bitching and screaming about other things as well. I don't believe we should try to project our own feelings onto "everyone." If everyone was mad about the same thing, it would go away.

It's common for narcissistic people to transfer their fears and prejudices to the public at large, they are also deeply, personally offended by social trends.

Forum List

Back