I'm rather confused

From the perspective of undecideds who have just recently started tuning in, they saw Romney as someone who most could see as President, and the strategy to paint him as a war monger failed. Obama came off on the defensive and in attack mode, but still managed to tote some of his accomplishments. However, Romney was wise to keep bringing it back to the economy, and Obama fell very short in that arena. If those people feel confident that Romney has a better plan for the economy, and will not drag America into more wars, then he will win...this debate will continue to move the momentum in his direction.

I was at work so I missed the debate.

The pundits at MSNBC look like they're attending a funeral. The pundits over at FOX are giddy. Luntz's focus group looks like it's going to devolve into a fist fight. CNN won't disclose how each member of its focus group will vote. Krauthemhammer (I butchered his name) thinks Romney won. CBS said Obama blowout.

What happened???

You're not watching the same MSNBC I'm watching. Both MSNBC and CNN poll have Obama winning big.

From the perspective of undecideds who have just recently started tuning in, they saw Romney as someone who most could see as President, and the strategy to paint him as a war monger failed. Obama came off on the defensive and in attack mode, but still managed to tote some of his accomplishments. However, Romney was wise to keep bringing it back to the economy, and Obama fell very short in that arena. If those people feel confident that Romney has a better plan for the economy, and will not drag America into more wars, then he will win...this debate will continue to move the momentum in his direction.

That's a good point. I only caught a small portion of it. Romney didn't seem to be interested in arguing with Obama, probably because it turns off some independents and women. All he needs to do is leave a good taste in America's mouth from a "looks presidential and is the better shot at repairing the economy" standpoint and he should sit about as pretty as he could hope to.

I tend to agree with this analysis. All Romney needed to do was demonstrate he was not a war monger and appear presidential which he did. Romney has such a huge advantage when it comes to the economy that all he really needed to do tonight was show that he was not a foreign policy liability and he did that very well.

Romney closed the deal tonight.

I was at work so I missed the debate.

The pundits at MSNBC look like they're attending a funeral. The pundits over at FOX are giddy. Luntz's focus group looks like it's going to devolve into a fist fight. CNN won't disclose how each member of its focus group will vote. Krauthemhammer (I butchered his name) thinks Romney won. CBS said Obama blowout.

What happened???

You're not watching the same MSNBC I'm watching. Both MSNBC and CNN poll have Obama winning big.

Pffft....surprise fucking surprise.

This thread wasn't intended for any partisan sniping. I'm actually generally curious as to what happened during the debate tonight.

Tie on foreign policy as Romney did indeed have some difficulty distinguishing himself from President Obama, most specifically on the issues in which Mr. Obama had some difficulty distinguishing himself from President Bush.

(see: Iraq and Afghanistan)

That is to say, should Romney become POTUS and end the Afghan war on "Obama's timeline"(2014) he will run in 2016 claiming to have "ended the war in Afghanistan" in exactly the same way President Obama is running in 2012 as "ending the war in Iraq" on President Bush's timeline.

Tie on the "Arab Spring" as both indicated, quite accurately, that neither of them knew what the Hell was going on and both are determined that the U.S.A. continue to be involved for some reason.

Tie on Israel as Romney provided nothing specific to improve on Obama's failures.

Tie on Iran as Romney had nothing but Monday morning quarterbacking to improve on Obama's failures.

Tie on China as both defused their previous brinkmanship with said country which surprisingly did not declare war on the U.S.A. after getting throttled by both candidates in debate numero dos.

A few points to Romney on the economy:

- Interesting (but not specific enough) thoughts on trade with Latin America where President Obama has been hostile to free trade

- A rehash of economic debate points from the past two presidential debates where Romney scored well before

- One point to Romney just for his success in turning a foreign policy debate into an economics debate for nearly a quarter of the debate time. Wow.

Overall it was a tie as Americans don't give a crap about foreign policy and this was always going to be the least influential debate anyway. (which is why both candidates wanted it last) Both scored minimal points with their base voters and few undecideds will move much.

I thought this was President Obama's best debate performance yet but Romney held his own and at risk of sounding repetitive... no one cares about foreign policy. We are Americans after all. We are all foreigners after all. We all, at some point, left those shite-hole foreign places for a reason.

The numbers will not move tomorrow.

I tend to agree with this analysis. All Romney needed to do was demonstrate he was not a war monger and appear presidential which he did. Romney has such a huge advantage when it comes to the economy that all he really needed to do tonight was show that he was not a foreign policy liability and he did that very well.

Romney closed the deal tonight.

This

When the dust all settles it will be a Romney win.

Please, to actual foreign policy wonks Romney was incredibly shallow and failed to make a clear distinction between himself and the president.

uh....if there's no distinction between the two on foreign policy and you describe Romney as shallow doesn't that mean Obama was incredibly shallow too?

Nope, his performance shows that he does not give enough of a shit to even educate himself on how he would be different, whatever crazed war loving Bush alumni he would have picked for Sec. of state would have just filled him in on what he should have done.

This thread wasn't intended for any partisan sniping. I'm actually generally curious as to what happened during the debate tonight.
Overall, Obama won it on points. He IS the President and typically, Presidents have the upper hand in Foreign policy debates.

However, Obama did come across a petulant and thin skinned. Romney looked more Presidential than Obama.

Obama's goal was to provide solid rational points regarding his policy and to knock Romney out. He failed on the latter, and made some headway on the former.

However, CNN push poll on the competence of both men to act as Commander-in-Chief put Obama at 63% and Romney at 60%.

Overall, I think that Obama lost by having a tie or a slight win. He should have knocked it out of the park, and failed to do so.

Romney failed to make any real distinction in his foreign policy stands between himself and the president and made a huge flip-flop on his afghan policy, all you really need to know.

There isnt a huge distinction except with say treating Israel nice and that Obama makes the US look like a pussy

Oh btw how is OBama gonna stop sequestration? Is he going to sign a royal decree?

Mitt looked classy and sounded knowledgeable. He pounded home Obama's failures and reminded everyone that Obama's vision for America is weak and apologetic. And listening to Obama lecture Romney on economics was flipping PRICELESS.
He came across as an obfuscating, dishonest, arrogant, sour pos.

Which is what he is.

Mitt's moving into the White House. Thank goodness. Obama is an embarassment.

Romney failed to make any real distinction in his foreign policy stands between himself and the president and made a huge flip-flop on his afghan policy, all you really need to know.

There isnt a huge distinction except with say treating Israel nice and that Obama makes the US look like a pussy

Oh btw how is OBama gonna stop sequestration? Is he going to sign a royal decree?

Maybe

President Obama

Forum List

Back