I'm proud of my country, warts and all..

Unlike some..I think we live in the most extraordinary country in the world..and in history. And while it may have been involved in some dark moments..on the whole this country is a testament to the good in mankind and the strive for a more perfect way of governance. It may not get it right all the time..but it tries like heck to make up for past mistakes.
....While waiting for Corporate America/Wall $treet to "cook-up" some NEW....

....."dark moments"/"past mistakes".

"The misuse of a body to commemorate what one has accomplished on the battlefield or to intimidate your enemy is deeply embedded in the human psyche, Lee says. Victorious warriors were celebrated for displaying the spoils of war, including scalps and skulls and heads on a pike.

But even the rules — even the widespread agreement that “This is not who we are,” as Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said on Wednesday — can only stop so much from happening.

The impulse of soldiers to photograph their dead enemies is driven by a number of factors, says Nancy Sherman, author of “The Untold War: Inside the Hearts, Minds, and Souls of Our Soldiers” and a professor of philosophy at Georgetown specializing in the ethics of war.

“There’s relief that they’re alive and not dead. There’s also top-dog exuberance and pent-up revenge,” she says. Another factor, especially in places such as Afghanistan, is when these incidents take place among units that are operating in remote locations, she says."​

2668826.jpg

At least we're doing a better job of keeping "our" Fortunate $on's safe & secure....and, mentally-healthy!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFGit_tZDqs]Generation Chickenhawk: With The College Republicans - YouTube[/ame]​

Good try Swallow.

I, for one, dont buy into that uber-patriotic idea of "I'm proud of my country no matter what (especially if a Dem is in office)".

I believe in tough love. And DAMN our country needs a bit of that right now.
....And, what BETTER example than those Americans who go....above, and BEYOND.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkFa2lSNAGc]Hugh Thompson Jr - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xadOE9fCzX4]To Swing Wide the Gates of Mercy - YouTube[/ame]
bush_serving_beer.jpg

Last edited:
Um, he did say warts and all. Some of the negatives mentioned in posts are just that, our warts. We got 'em, we go lots of them, but I too feel our positives far outweigh our national/regional negatives.

I've been fortunate to visit many countries around the world for business reasons and the more places I'd go to the more I'd appreciate all that we've got in the good old U.S.A.

Um, he did say warts and all. Some of the negatives mentioned in posts are just that, our warts. We got 'em, we go lots of them, but I too feel our positives far outweigh our national/regional negatives.

I've been fortunate to visit many countries around the world for business reasons and the more places I'd go to the more I'd appreciate all that we've got in the good old U.S.A.
....Especially the opportunity to profit from our "warts", right??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbDfYzq_HaQ]Truth about Halliburton and Dick Cheney - YouTube[/ame]

"I spent 33 years and 4 months in active service as a member of our country's most agile military force--the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from second lieutenant to Major General. And during that period I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism. I suspected I was part of a racket all the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all members of the military profession I never had an original thought until I left the service."​

- Major General Smedley D. Butler, USMC (1881-1940)

Last edited:
I'm just wondering why folks feel the need to attack an "I love my country warts and all" post? I hoping that it's just a history with the poster rather than an honest indication of patriotism.

In a democracy sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't. If your "love" for your country depends on you getting your way ... well ... that's not really a love for your country now is it? It's just a love for getting your own way.

I'm just wondering why folks feel the need to attack an "I love my country warts and all" post?
'Cause it sounds, too-much, like one more variation on....

"My Country...right or wrong!"

We've, too-often, proved how wrong we can be....and, how often we can be wrong....that, "warts and all" and "right, or wrong" are merely phrases used to justify the laziness that GETS our ass in a jam, too-often!!!

Last edited:
So what is wrong with "My Country Right or Wrong?"

If you mean it seems to indicate blind devotion without any critical thinking, I think you're dead wrong. I can think critically enough to come to the conclusion that my country is not perfect. We've made mistakes. But I still say "we".

Just because my country makes a mistake - it doesn't make me Cuban. This is still my country. And I feel VERY blessed to be able to say that.

so what is wrong with "my country right or wrong?"

if you mean it seems to indicate blind devotion without any critical thinking, i think you're dead wrong. I can think critically enough to come to the conclusion that my country is not perfect. We've made mistakes. But i still say "we".

Just because my country makes a mistake - it doesn't make me cuban. This is still my country. And i feel very blessed to be able to say that.

qft.

I'm just wondering why folks feel the need to attack an "I love my country warts and all" post?
'Cause it sounds, too-much, like one more variation on....

"My Country...right or wrong!"

My kid, right or wrong.
My husband, right or wrong.
My family, right or wrong.

Love doesn't stop because the loved one makes a mistake, does it?

so what is wrong with "my country right or wrong?"

if you mean it seems to indicate blind devotion without any critical thinking, i think you're dead wrong. I can think critically enough to come to the conclusion that my country is not perfect. We've made mistakes. But i still say "we".

Just because my country makes a mistake - it doesn't make me cuban. This is still my country. And i feel very blessed to be able to say that.

qft.

qtf ?

Forum List

Back