I'm Pretty Excited...

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I just bought a Morgan silver dollar that's one of two of the most valuable years minted between 1878 and 1921. One is the 1884 S mint, and the other is the 1889 CC mint. I acquired the first one, and it's in what I consider to be almost pristine condition. If it graded at MS68, it's fair market value is set at $937,500.00. Of course now I have to take the coin to a shop and have it registered, insured and sent into PCGS for grading. I paid $61 for it, obviously from someone who had no idea what they had. Just another old coin. I'm going to be on pins and needles until it comes back from grading. I could have hit the jack pot.

Oh wow wouldn't that be someting if it was? I love hearing about good finds like this.

I wish him well with it. If you enjoy those kinds of finds you should purchase yourself a good metal detector and make excursions to public areas. I used one once and found a whole jar of old coins that had been either stored in the clean out of a fireplace, or in the structure when the firsplace was built. In any event the detector was fun to use. One of the kids found an old marshalls badge.

I just bought a Morgan silver dollar that's one of two of the most valuable years minted between 1878 and 1921. One is the 1884 S mint, and the other is the 1889 CC mint. I acquired the first one, and it's in what I consider to be almost pristine condition. If it graded at MS68, it's fair market value is set at $937,500.00. Of course now I have to take the coin to a shop and have it registered, insured and sent into PCGS for grading. I paid $61 for it, obviously from someone who had no idea what they had. Just another old coin. I'm going to be on pins and needles until it comes back from grading. I could have hit the jack pot.

Even if proves out at 1/2 the worth, you best seek out an accountant about taxes. :eusa_angel:

I consider you a good internet pal Pale Rider, and because of that, I am interested in your welfare. A coin like this could only cause you trouble. Why don't you mail it to me and I will rid you of all the potential worries of owning the coin and give you the satisfaction of knowing that you made a bald-headed old geezer pretty happy!

Now, seriously, congratulations my friend. Hope it all works out well for you. You deserve a bit of luck.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Wow, man. The mighty sweet stumbling on a potential million dollar coin like.

Here's where I see it's worth the big bucks... bottom line...

Morgan Dollars NumisMedia Price Guide-Good-MS60

coinda.jpg

... then I see this...

coin2.jpg

I'm not certain this coin will grade that high, but it's got to be darn close. But there's a little difference in what the one on ebay is selling for and what it appears the fair market value is.

Either way, for $61, I'm pretty darn sure I made a good investment. Time will tell.

My visions of grandeur however have been dashed.

Last edited:
That is cool.

You ever been to the Silver Dollar Bar in Montana?

My older sister lives in Montana, and I did also on two different occasions. I don't recall ever being in the Silver Dollar though.

Where's it at?

It is just a tourist stop between Idaho and Missoula. Let me see if I can find a link.

Here is something on it.
Lincoln's 50,000 Silver Dollar Bar

It is a big place for being in the middle of no where. I have probably been there a hundred times. The bar area is covered with silver dollars
Lincoln's 50,000 Silver Dollar Bar

Looks like a wonderful place. I do love Montana, and I rarely admit it, but I have relatives that are, to put it mildly, wealthy, and own a bunch of land all over the west. I've always been odd man out and told them they could keep their damn money and land... bunch of snobby sons a bitches. But if I had my druthers, I'd live in Montana. I think it's the prettiest state I've ever been in my life, and if I ever do come into some large windfall of money, either by luck or my own ingenuity, I'm moving there.

Forum List

Back