I'm Phil and here's how I think...

daphillenium

Sep 9, 2012
Illinois
Hey just happened to discover this message board while doing some googling today. I've been tired of Facebook debating since most of the people there I'm friends with have no clue what's really going on.

I'm 27, I was in the US Coast Guard for 5 years. I now work as a Firefighter/Paramedic and also do Concrete on the side. I've got 4 kids and I recently became interested in politics and current events because I care about the future of my children.

I consider myself an independent. I'm upset with our government. I can't affiliate myself with either party right now. I'm a Christian. Here are my political views:

I consider myself pro-life across the board. I'm anti-death penalty, anti-war, and even though I despise abortion I realize that is my opinion and I shouldn't force it on anyone.

I believe in global warming because scientists do. Usually they are right ;) And it seems to me the funding denial are associated with oil companies and the like.

I believe in complete separation of church and state. Religion should be as far away from politics as possible. In my opinion it's the job of the church and parents to spread the Word.

I don't think it's right that the rich have gotten richer over the past 30 years and the middle class has stayed the same or become poorer. Therefore I don't believe in trickle down theory.

I think welfare and caring for the poor/sick is important but I'd like to see the abuse of the system go away some how in the same way I'd like to see abuse of the system by huge corporations avoiding taxes go away. It seems to me it's just us the middle class paying for these abuses.

I'm looking forward to joining in these conversations. It looks like a pretty good forum without too much bickering. I'm hoping it won't be too hard to separate truth from fiction on here.

I guess I'll see you around posting!

Welcome to the board. Your beliefs and priorities sound rational, well thought out and make perfect sense. And they would line up more with Democrats and liberals like myself IMO...

Here is my favorite liberal and Democrat.

"I believe in human dignity as the source of national purpose, in human liberty as the source of national action, and the human heart as the source of national compassion, and in the human mind as the source of our invention and our ideas. It is, I believe, this faith in our fellow citizens as individuals and as people that lies at the heart of the liberal faith, for liberalism is not so much a party creed or a set of fixed platform promises as it is an attitude of mind and heart, a faith in man's ability through the experiences of his reason and judgment to increase for himself and his fellow men the amount of Justice and freedom and brotherhood which all human life deserves.

I believe also in the United States of America, in the promise that it contains and has contained throughout our history of producing a society so abundant and creative and so free and responsible that it cannot only fulfill the aspirations of its citizens, but serve equally well as a beacon for all mankind. I do not believe in a super state. I see no magic to tax dollars which are sent to Washington and then returned. I abhor the waste and incompetence of large-scale Federal bureaucracies in this administration, as well as in others. I do not favor state compulsion when voluntary individual effort can do the job and do it well. But I believe in a government which acts, which exercises its full powers and its full responsibilities. Government is an art and a precious obligation; and when it has a job to do, I believe it should do it. And this requires not only great ends but that we propose concrete means of achieving them.

Our responsibility is not discharged by an announcement of virtuous ends. Our responsibility is to achieve these objectives with social invention, with political skill, and executive vigor. I believe for these reasons, that liberalism is our best and our only hope in the world today. [Applause.] For the liberal society is a free society, and it is at the same time and for that reason a strong society. Its strength is drawn from the will of free people committed to great ends and peacefully striving to meet them. Only liberalism, in short, can repair our national power, restore our national purpose, and liberate our national energies."

Address of John F. Kennedy upon Accepting the Liberal Party Nomination for President, New York, New York, September 14, 1960

"Harry Truman once said, 'There are 14 or 15 million Americans who have the resources to have representatives in Washington to protect their interests, and that the interests of the great mass of the other people - the 150 or 160 million - is the responsibility of the president of the United States, and I propose to fulfill it.'"
President John F. Kennedy

Hey just happened to discover this message board while doing some googling today. I've been tired of Facebook debating since most of the people there I'm friends with have no clue what's really going on.

I'm 27, I was in the US Coast Guard for 5 years. I now work as a Firefighter/Paramedic and also do Concrete on the side. I've got 4 kids and I recently became interested in politics and current events because I care about the future of my children.

I consider myself an independent. I'm upset with our government. I can't affiliate myself with either party right now. I'm a Christian. Here are my political views:

I consider myself pro-life across the board. I'm anti-death penalty, anti-war, and even though I despise abortion I realize that is my opinion and I shouldn't force it on anyone.

I believe in global warming because scientists do. Usually they are right ;) And it seems to me the funding denial are associated with oil companies and the like.

I believe in complete separation of church and state. Religion should be as far away from politics as possible. In my opinion it's the job of the church and parents to spread the Word.

I don't think it's right that the rich have gotten richer over the past 30 years and the middle class has stayed the same or become poorer. Therefore I don't believe in trickle down theory.

I think welfare and caring for the poor/sick is important but I'd like to see the abuse of the system go away some how in the same way I'd like to see abuse of the system by huge corporations avoiding taxes go away. It seems to me it's just us the middle class paying for these abuses.

I'm looking forward to joining in these conversations. It looks like a pretty good forum without too much bickering. I'm hoping it won't be too hard to separate truth from fiction on here.

Welcome aboard, oh boy you're going to lose the new bling bling impression of this forum in short order.
You maybe be an independent but you have liberal views that are misguided.

Welcome aboard, oh boy you're going to lose the new bling bling impression of this forum in short order.

Yea, Phil's views sound too human to be a real person.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

Yea, Phil's views sound too human to be a real person.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
Society and even the state but it's not the place of the federal government to do charity work.

Hello and welcome, nice to see a pro lifer who is actually consistent!

What the hell are you talking about? He's pro-choice. If you believe in choice, you're pro-choice. It doesn't matter if he'd do it or not. That's not the political definition. In fact, there are plenty of pro-choice people who would not personally consider an abortion as an option.

Anyways, this guy's a pussy. He says he's independent and then just states how he believes a bunch of liberal BS anyways.

Hi Phil - Welcome to the sandbox!
If you want to avoid bickering, you might try the Tavern or the Coffee Shop......both located in the 'lowest level', LOL!

lol I'm already getting bashed! Yeah, you all figured it out. I do lean more liberal than conservative I would say.

See that is one of my biggest pet peeves. I know everyone has different views and up raisings which affect the way they see the world. But I don't feel right going around bashing republicans (or should I say conservatives-because you can't truly call the republican platform completely conservative anymore) on their views. I know it's futile to get people to move on their social issues. But NO ONE has all the answers. I think that is what is wrong with Washington. Compromise doesn't exist anymore and there's too much "I inherited this" or "They caused this" or "He hates America".

And the reason I like to call myself an independant is because of the way people vote while in office or policies that are put forth that aren't with my views. I can't call myself a democrat because democrats supported things I don't approve of, one for example NDAA. And there's things I agree with that Republicans have said before too.

As far as this election, I personally believe both candidates SUCK! Romney is a robot for the rich and won't tell you his plan. Obama is a robot for the banks and won't tell you his plan! He doesn't apparently want to end the drug war or "truly" bring us home from Afghanistan (based upon his agreement with Karzai this summer that leaves us there potentially for 10 more years)

To me they are both liars. That's why I consider myself independent.

Last edited:
lol I'm already getting bashed! Yeah, you all figured it out. I do lean more liberal than conservative I would say.

See that is one of my biggest pet peeves. I know everyone has different views and up raisings which affect the way they see the world. But I don't feel right going around bashing republicans (or should I say conservatives-because you can't truly call the republican platform completely conservative anymore) on their views. I know it's futile to get people to move on their social issues. But NO ONE has all the answers. I think that is what is wrong with Washington. Compromise doesn't exist anymore and there's too much "I inherited this" or "They caused this" or "He hates America".

And the reason I like to call myself an independant is because of the way people vote while in office or policies that are put forth that aren't with my views. I can't call myself a democrat because democrats supported things I don't approve of, one for example NDAA. And there's things I agree with that Republicans have said before too.

As far as this election, I personally believe both candidates SUCK! Romney is a robot for the rich and won't tell you his plan. Obama is a robot for the banks and won't tell you his plan! He doesn't apparently want to end the drug war or "truly" bring us home from Afghanistan (based upon his agreement with Karzai this summer that leaves us there potentially for 10 more years)

To me they are both liars. That's why I consider myself independent.
by what you said here Phil.....i dont think me and you will have to many problems with each other.......welcome.....

hey, and welcome...pro-life and anti-death penalty, huh? that is pretty odd.

it has always amazed me how most of the pro life people are also pro death penalty and most the pro choice people are anti-death penalty. it has always struck me as strange.

anyway, welcome.

it has always amazed me how most of the pro life people are also pro death penalty and most the pro choice people are anti-death penalty. it has always struck me as strange.

anyway, welcome.

lol me too. I don't get it.

anyway, welcome.

lol me too. I don't get it.

You don't get why pro life people are pro death penalty?
Allow me to enlighten you When someone does something worthy of death they get the punishment they deserve,
An unborn child all it ever did was be conceived and that wasn't it fault either.

Forum List

Back