I'm going to met President Bush on Friday!

Originally posted by XSAPaladin
do you think america will suffer repracutions for iraq, i.e. more terrorist attacks?

I believe President Bush is doing an outstanding job keeping our homeland safe from more terrorist attacks. I think because of the War on Terrorism in general (not just Iraq) that we will most likely become more of a target by extremists, however, 9/11 has taught us not to lower our guard. I believe the terrorists know that it will be more difficult to hit inside our borders than it was three years ago.

There are many factors that contribute to the making of a terrorist. To blame it all on the actions of the United States is a much too simplistic approach to the problem. The Middle East has been in turmoil since the first cavemen poked his head out from behind a rock over there.

Every nation in the world has sold weapons to every other nation in the world at one time or another. The fact that Saddam Hussein did not launch nuclear weapons does not necessarily mean that he did not have them or was not trying to develop them. It also does not mean he did not have the opportunity. It COULD mean that he was bluffing and really had no WMD and that he really did destroy them after the first Persian Gulf war. It could mean that. It would be very hard to state anything regarding Saddam's thinking unless you are Saddam.

Good point CSM, you're sounding like Colin Powell. :clap1: :cof:

Not intentionally. I am merely trying to point out the falacy of blaming it all on the current administration, past administrations, or anything else US related. The world can be a very small place sometimes and many, many situations can contribute to the fomenting of revolution and the initiation of terrorism.

Folks need to remember that most countries in the Middle East, while each at one time or another was a "global power", are pretty much medievil societies struggling with relatively new found wealth (from oil primarily) and how to use it. Unfortunately, except for the Saudis, most of those countries have yet to figure out how to distribute that wealth and the power that goes with it to the masses. I excluded the Saudis because they have attempted to do exactly that with some limited success.

Originally posted by CSM
Not intentionally. I am merely trying to point out the falacy of blaming it all on the current administration, past administrations, or anything else US related. The world can be a very small place sometimes and many, many situations can contribute to the fomenting of revolution and the initiation of terrorism.

Folks need to remember that most countries in the Middle East, while each at one time or another was a "global power", are pretty much medievil societies struggling with relatively new found wealth (from oil primarily) and how to use it. Unfortunately, except for the Saudis, most of those countries have yet to figure out how to distribute that wealth and the power that goes with it to the masses. I excluded the Saudis because they have attempted to do exactly that with some limited success.

Interesting take on SA. I see where you are coming from in the past. They did try to 'redistribute', problem is those in the family wanted so much and as the oil $ contracted, the rest got shut out.

Question for you on that. Have the Saudis made a huge miscalculation from having so many not trained to work. They have to hire so many foreigners to do work that could easily be provided by their own, unemployed people. Why don't they?

The Saudiis have many problems, not the least of which is the number of foriegn workers in their country. Whether that was a huge mistake or not remains to be seen, though in my opinion, it will come back to haunt them sooner or later. The House of Saud is in a very precarious position within the Islamic world and the Middle East for a lot of reasons and they are busier than a one armed man trying to tie his shoes just staying in power.

infact i do blame russia for the origional gulf war its cause of those bastards our boys got killed

Since you were only 3 at the time, I'll refresh your memory: Iraq invaded Kuwait without warning over an oil dispute, and was threatening to attack Saudi Arabia as well. How on earth do you blame Russia for that? Not to mention, the Gulf War had some of the lowest casualty ratios of any American war up to that point. I'm not minimizing those deaths, but there were way less than anyone could have predicted.

Also, Saddam Hussein and most Iraqi's really believe that Kuwait belongs to Iraq. The fact that Kuwait would have given Iraq a major pipeline head to sell their oil through was probably a major consideration in their invasion of that country. At the time, Iraq was paying HUGE royalties to both Jordan and Kuwait for the use of their seaports.

Originally posted by CSM
Also, Saddam Hussein and most Iraqi's really believe that Kuwait belongs to Iraq. The fact that Kuwait would have given Iraq a major pipeline head to sell their oil through was probably a major consideration in their invasion of that country. At the time, Iraq was paying HUGE royalties to both Jordan and Kuwait for the use of their seaports.

and there was that one woman diplomat that did give out false signals, seems to be well documented. But the fault still falls to Iraq to have checked a wee bit further than one source....

The Iraqi government grossly underestimated the world's reaction to the invasion of Kuwait. I think (my opinion) that Saddam was convinced that most of the Arab world would back his military excursion. The two countries he knew would not look the other way were Saudi Arabia and (obviously) Kuwait. I think he believed any other interference would be stifled by the UN Security Council, particularly regarding any intervention by the US. I have no doubt that certain concessions were made with several countries as well.

Originally posted by CSM
The Iraqi government grossly underestimated the world's reaction to the invasion of Kuwait. I think (my opinion) that Saddam was convinced that most of the Arab world would back his military excursion. The two countries he knew would not look the other way were Saudi Arabia and (obviously) Kuwait. I think he believed any other interference would be stifled by the UN Security Council, particularly regarding any intervention by the US. I have no doubt that certain concessions were made with several countries as well.

Seems our poor buddy Saddam made it a habit to hear what he wanted to. Not only that, but he also put too much faith in the UN, something many people/countries seem prone to.

I am not so sure he had any faith in the UN per say. Remember, he thumbed his nose at the UN for a long time. I think he trusted that Germany, France, and Russia would intervene on his behalf and keep the US from doing anything. He did not believe the US would go it alone. Anothe gross miscalculation on his part.

Originally posted by CSM
I am not so sure he had any faith in the UN per say. Remember, he thumbed his nose at the UN for a long time. I think he trusted that Germany, France, and Russia would intervene on his behalf and keep the US from doing anything. He did not believe the US would go it alone. Anothe gross miscalculation on his part.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

could u check this site out and tell me if it is true or not?

http://costofwar.com/index-immunization.html

Lol with this kind of melarkey you are buying into you will never, ever survive Marine Corps boot camp. Some drill instructor with a nasty disposition is going to cut your balls off and keep them in a jar, all this of course after the platoon throws you a nice towel party.

Originally posted by Gop guy
Oh dear God, how old are you?

Yah, while you were at work all day, that's what we were asking!:p:

I didn't think this thread would be so hot.

I wish I could've been here when his sorry self first started replying.

I won't miss it next time.

Originally posted by Gop guy
I didn't think this thread would be so hot.

I wish I could've been here when his sorry self first started replying.

I won't miss it next time.

Promises, promises. :blowup:

fariegnhieght disipline eh, what the hell would you know about whats going on there did you have family die because of him? I have no evidence? What evidence does he have that Iraq has wmd? none, unless you count the fact that america has given them the weapons, and you want evidence for that look up the history on the Iran-Iraq war those missles being launched were not from iraq they were made in the U.S. .

I know im alittle late here but you have to be living in a vaccuum if you are still trying to argue that there are no WMDs. but then you cant even keep your stories straight. which is it. Did saddam not have weapons or did we give it to them? it cant be both.

Forum List

Back