I'm going to KILL my computer...

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
This fucking computer... I'm about ready to take it outside and beat it with a sledge hammer and pic like I did it's predecessor. First the Lite-on DVD started screwing up and wouldn't play DVD's, then the sound card lost it's driver somehow, so I decided to just throw in the System Recovery disc and restore it, so then the fucker tells me I can only use my recovery disc on an HP computer, which it is, a HP Pavilion. So this thing is screwed and I have no way to fix it.

Are there any computer guru's here that may have heard of this before and have some idea how to get past this problem?

Last edited:
This fucking computer... I'm about ready to take it outside and beat it with a sledge hammer and pic like I did it's predecessor. First the Lite-on DVD started screwing up and wouldn't play DVD's, then the sound card lost it's driver somehow, so I decided to just throw in the System Recovery disc and restore it, so then the fucker tells me I can only use my recovery disc on an HP computer, which it is, a HP Pavilion. So this thing is screwed and I have no way to fix it.

Are there any computer guru's here that may have heard of this before and have some idea how to get past this problem?
well, dont call HP support
they will tell you you need a new mouse, and say they will send you one only to send you a new VGA cable
you call them back and tell them you got the wrong part, they'll tell you they are sorry and will send the correct part, but never send it

Was the recovery disk the one that came with the computer?

sometimes it doesnt matter
the file that controls that could be one of the ones messed up

they will tell you you need a new mouse, and say they will send you one only to send you a new VGA cable
you call them back and tell them you got the wrong part, they'll tell you they are sorry and will send the correct part, but never send it

HP support has to be some of the worst in the industry. You'll get some woman in india that you can't even understand.

Yeah, but I should be able to use these with quite a few different models so long as they're HP's.

You put the disc in, shut off the computer, wait thirty seconds, turn computer on, it initializes and then says "ERROR, this disc will only work in HP computers, please call your HP support center." Bull shit... :hmpf:

if the recovery disk wasn't the one that came with the computer, you won't be able to do the auto install. It will give you the message he mentioned. That is why I asked. Sometimes there is a workaround that kind of problem.

Yeah, but I should be able to use these with quite a few different models so long as they're HP's.

You put the disc in, shut off the computer, wait thirty seconds, turn computer on, it initializes and then says "ERROR, this disc will only work in HP computers, please call your HP support center." Bull shit... :hmpf:

If that is the original disk, it could be that your drive is going bad and not properly reading the sectors on the disc.

HP support has to be some of the worst in the industry. You'll get some woman in india that you can't even understand.
i have an HP laptop
nice equipment
but there was a problem with the little IR remote that came with it
and the IR receiver didn't show up in device manager
i called support and they told me the remote was bad and it needed to be replaced
they sent me a package that had a replacement express slot (where the remote is stored and charged) and not the remote
i called back, they said they would send the right part but never did
but they never understand that the remote wasn't the problem, but they scripts said that any problem with remotes had to have the remote replaced first

in spite of the fact i KNEW what the problem was, the IR receiver wasn't working
and since it didn't show up in device manager even as an unknown device, that told me the receiver was the faulty point
but i could never get that through to the support people
your best bet, buy a RETAIL version of windows and use that

If that is the original disk, it could be that your drive is going bad and not properly reading the sectors on the disc.
there are a lot of possibilities that would cause that

If you want, I'll look up the "restore factory settings". It's a key you can hit while booting up any HP computer. Problem is, you lose everything you've ever installed.

if the recovery disk wasn't the one that came with the computer, you won't be able to do the auto install. It will give you the message he mentioned. That is why I asked. Sometimes there is a workaround that kind of problem.

Well, I'd have sworn that these three recovery discs were to this computer. I've never had to restore this thing and these discs were never opened. But, I guess there is a chance they could have been for the previous machine. That leads to the next question then, where the heck are the restore discs for THIS machine? Better start looking...

I was surprised it read it at all, because the drive not reading DVD's was the reason this whole thing started.

1) backup everything you care for onto some external source
2) if it's a desktop, open it up and gently vacuum out all the dust bunnies
3) reinstall the operating system
4) enjoy a computer that runs like new.

If you want, I'll look up the "restore factory settings". It's a key you can hit while booting up any HP computer. Problem is, you lose everything you've ever installed.

Yeah I'm going to have to get an external hard drive and download some stuff before I try that. I have way to much stuff on here that I do not want to lose.

Well, I'd have sworn that these three recovery discs were to this computer. I've never had to restore this thing and these discs were never opened. But, I guess there is a chance they could have been for the previous machine. That leads to the next question then, where the heck are the restore discs for THIS machine? Better start looking...
how old is this machine?
new machines dont come with a restore disk
you have to MAKE one after you start it up

how old is this machine?
new machines dont come with a restore disk
you have to MAKE one after you start it up

I did have to do that with a computer long ago... but I don't recall ever even seeing that option offered on this computer.

Forum List

Back