I'm Curious ...

What is an Order of St. Maurice Medal?

Don't let those who obviously got out of bed on the wrong side spoil your mood, Granny. It is a perfectly reasonable question. That Wiki link provided is pretty good.

My understanding is that it is /was a medal conferred to knights for long and above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty meritorious humanitarian service. I am unaware of it being awarded outside of Italy but don't know that is the case for sure.

Thank you Foxfyre. It was a simple question that I did Google. I just don't understand the medal - whether it's an honorific type thing, or prestigious, or hard to get, etc. I've never heard of it but apparently it's worn in uniform the same way any other ribbons or medals.

Thank you Foxfyre. It was a simple question that I did Google. I just don't understand the medal - whether it's an honorific type thing, or prestigious, or hard to get, etc. I've never heard of it but apparently it's worn in uniform the same way any other ribbons or medals.

I had heard of it because I have a LARGE representation of Italians in my family and 'grandpa' who fled Mussolini's facism just before WWII had such a medal. He was awarded it for some kind of service working with Italian orphans, but I never asked him for details about it or who awarded it to him. I don't know if he was in the Italian military at the time.

Your question did send me looking for places to read up on it though, and, like you, what I found isn't real clear about who is eligible for it or who awards it now.

I did find one site with some information:

National Infantry Association

I guess my curiosity is up since I've never heard of it. Anyway, my son was apparently bestowed this thing a couple years ago and never bothered to mention it to me. I saw it last night on his facebook thing.

Don't let those who obviously got out of bed on the wrong side spoil your mood, Granny. It is a perfectly reasonable question. That Wiki link provided is pretty good.

My understanding is that it is /was a medal conferred to knights for long and above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty meritorious humanitarian service. I am unaware of it being awarded outside of Italy but don't know that is the case for sure.

I got this medal once for slaying a dragon and saving the pretty long-haired fair maiden. It's very pretty and looks good on a black suit.:lol:

I got this medal once for slaying a dragon and saving the pretty long-haired fair maiden. It's very pretty and looks good on a black suit.:lol:

:lol:

We want pictures.

Last edited:

I guess my curiosity is up since I've never heard of it. Anyway, my son was apparently bestowed this thing a couple years ago and never bothered to mention it to me. I saw it last night on his facebook thing.

How interesting. Are you guys Italian?

When you have a chance to ask him about it, clue us in please. My curiosity is piqued now too.

What you are describing appears to be something different than the St. Maurice & Lazarus medal.

And then there is this which appears to be something else again:

A religious medal designed, by Col. Franklin R. Sibert, has ecclesiastical approval and will soon be available to the troops.

It is the holy medal of Saint Maurice, patron saint of the infantry for the Roman Catholic Church. Word of the approval, given to the commander of the 20th Infantry Regiment and granted by the military ordinariate office of Francis Cardinal Spellman was received this week.

http://www.ophsa.org/souvenirs&memorabilia/Saint_Maurice.htm

Last edited:

:lol:

We want pictures.

Sorry. The dragon has already been disposed of.:lol:

Wwwwell ... technically speaking my kids are PoWops ... so proclaimed by their father. They, however, disregard the Po and claim only to be Wops. :lol:

My son was serving in Italy at the time he got this medal. It's very pretty, actually.

Last edited:

Wwwwell ... technically speaking my kids are PoWops ... so proclaimed by their father. They, however, disregard the Po and claim only to be Wops. :lol:

My son was serving in Italy at the time he got this medal. It's very pretty, actually.

Probably all this stuff we're coming up with is interrelated in some way. But it is interesting. I once tried to come up with a designation for all the various parts of me. Finally settled on just plain mutt. :)

Forum List

Back