I'm Beginning To Wonder If The Framers Simply Wanted To Play A Li'l Joke On Us...

bayoubill

aka Sheik Yerbouti...
Dec 30, 2008
Cajun Country
just to be able to look down from heaven 220-some years later and have a good laugh...

as both sides on the Second Amendment issue made asses of themselves... :)

Last edited:
Framers were self-accountable.

Self-accountability is gone or unknown for most of the populace.

And it is the problem.

And it is the problem.

from what I've read of their writings, I 'spect the Framers would be surprised and pleased that the nation they founded has lasted as long as it has...

while at the same time doubtful that, under current conditions, the nation will last much longer...

just to be able to look down from heaven 220-some years later and have a good laugh...

I think they were very serious guys.

After all, they were traitors who would be hanged on sight if they were caught by the Redcoats. This was serious stuff to them.

These days it's difficult to get anyone to take anything seriously, and this apathy is our greatest weakness.

After all, they were traitors who would be hanged on sight if they were caught by the Redcoats. This was serious stuff to them.

These days it's difficult to get anyone to take anything seriously, and this apathy is our greatest weakness.

I was being facetious...

which, of course, according to you, is part of the problem... :)

Modern society has devolved.

Basic sustenance and shelter is not something you have to strive to provide.

I was being facetious...

which, of course, according to you, is part of the problem... :)

I know you were, but I was playing the straight man.

And it is the problem.

from what I've read of their writings, I 'spect the Framers would be surprised and pleased that the nation they founded has lasted as long as it has...

while at the same time doubtful that, under current conditions, the nation will last much longer...

How long did the Roman Empire last?

1484 years.

How long have we been around?

236 years.

Nothing to brag about.

And it is the problem.

How long did the Roman Empire last?

1484 years.

How long have we been around?

236 years.

Nothing to brag about.

the Roman Empire had several permutations over the many centuries...

but more to the point, in terms of comparison to our nation, was the Roman Republic that preceded it...

which lasted not quite 500 years...

towards the end of the Roman Republic:

despite the Republic's traditional and lawful constraints against any individual's acquisition of permanent political powers, Roman politics was dominated by a small number of Roman leaders, their uneasy alliances punctuated by a series of civil wars.

The victor in one of these civil wars, Octavian, reformed the Republic as a Principate, with himself as Rome's "first citizen" (princeps). The Senate continued to sit and debate. Annual magistrates were elected as before, but final decisions on matters of policy, warfare, diplomacy and appointments were privileged to the princeps as "first among equals" later to be known as imperator due to the holding of imperium, from which the term emperor is derived. His powers were monarchic in all but name, and he held them for his lifetime, on behalf of the Senate and people of Rome. The Roman Republic was never restored, but neither was it abolished, so the exact date of the transition to the Roman Empire is a matter of interpretation. Historians have variously proposed the appointment of Julius Caesar as perpetual dictator in 44 BC, the defeat of Mark Antony at the Battle of Actium in 31 BC, and the Roman Senate's grant of extraordinary powers to under the first settlement and Octavian adopting the moniker Augustus in 27 BC, as the defining event ending the Republic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Republic

Last edited:
Politically incorrect, but the rise of single women as a monolithic voting block has sealed our doom.

Politically incorrect, but the rise of single women as a monolithic voting block has sealed our doom.

Or more generally, the revelation to those who produce less than they consume that they can vote themselves money from the productive people - and the emergence politicians who eagerly comply.

Forum List

Back