I'm an angry elf

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
A little while ago I was rudely awakened from a deep sleep.

As some of you may know, I work nights. Not 3-11 nights but 9PM-5AM nights.

Anyway, I was out cold nestled cozily in my bed with a fan blowing in my face when I was awoken to what sounded like someone banging nails into the side of my building. I ignored it for a minute or two but the sound persisted. I got out of bed to look out the window and see that the fuck was going when I realized that the banging wasn't outside but on my apartment door. Dude's banging on the door like he's the fucking police.

I throw some sweats on go to the door and grunt, "Who is it?"

"Maintenance."

I opened the door, "Can I help you?"

"Ummm ... yeah, maintenance I'm here to do an inspection," the jackass said.

I know I didn't receive any notification of this inspection. I informed the guy of this and told him to have a nice day and that he better be legit because the next thing I'm doing after closing this door is calling the cops and telling them there is a lunatic banging on people's doors in my building. Then I slammed the door in his face.

I didn't really call the cops. I just called the apartment office to verify if they were doing inspections, which they did and I gave them a piece of my mind about proper notification and polite ways to knock on doors. I then told him they aren't getting in here to do their inspection for at least 24 hours.

But now I'm just wide awake and pissed. I better get back to bed before 4 this afternoon otherwise it's going to be a LONG night tonight.

Anything like this ever happen to you?

My kids are out of town, so it's just me, the cats and our dog in the house right now. This morning, I was awakened by our knuckleheaded dog at 3 a.m. Apparently, she was convinced that a burglar was breaking in because she barked, loudly, for at least 20 minutes.

Of course, at that point, I was as wide awake as you can get. Maybe it WAS a burglar, in which case, thank you, Tallulah, for being a great watch dog. Otherwise, fuck you, rabid coon hound, for waking me up from a perfectly good sleep.

Our neighbors decided to put in a pool last year. The cement trucks came to pour at 6a.m. on a Saturday morning. Three big, loud cement trucks parked in front of our house and the house next door. Township rules say you can't do any construction/building, etc. until 8:30a.m. Called the cops and they came but by then it was too late. To further enrage me, the half-assed pool company washed the cement residue from in front of the people's house . . . right to in front of our driveway. :mad: I spent 2 hours on a Sunday afternoon (and missed a great football game) hosing down and scooping up the crap. The neighbors are jerks . . . and snooty to boot.

Aren't some people ignorant asses? Hope you get back to sleep.

Last edited:
I've worked more than a few third shift jobs in my time and I never liked the rhythm necessary to keep it going. From morning after work binge drinking to 3am lunches. I empathize. If I were awake because of this like that i'd be ready to pounce on a motherfucker.

read your lease...as a property manager years ago...i know most leases have the clause that your place can be entered at any time by management...

but a routine inspection should have been announced and arranged in advance? does your property manager know you do night shift? i would let them know.

When I was corpsman, our shifts went from AM to PM to nights every two weeks.

Now imagine trying to get your bio-rhythm into sinc every two damned weeks for year after year.

A lot of corpsman working ward duties had psychotic episodes as a result of that insane wrok schedule.

It takes WEEKS for your body to adjust to even one change like that, and we had that change every two weeks.

Fucking idiots at NAVBUPERS.

read your lease...as a property manager years ago...i know most leases have the clause that your place can be entered at any time by management...

but a routine inspection should have been announced and arranged in advance? does your property manager know you do night shift? i would let them know.

Yeah, management reserves the right to enter whenever but shit like routine inspections they are supposed to give 24 hours notice and up until today they always did so.

Good idea about informing them of my shift. They know now but I think I'm going to tell them in a more formal manner later on.

put it in writing and have them sign for it...always do it in writing...now they have the option of telling you to fuck off they can enter at any time...most managers just want to get along...if they have an emergency they should still call first...

I don't really mind working the 3rd shift. Nights just kind of comes naturally to me. When I was in the Air Force I always volunteered to do the night shift for exercises because my body adjusts to it so easily.

The first year and a half after I got out I played poker online semi-professionally at night to supplement my income while I was going to school so when I took the job I have today I was pretty much already in 3rd shift mode.

But man if shit like this doesn't just fuck up a night workers schedule. You guys are right ... you gotta have a rhythm going in order to make it work.

I'm working on it. Gotta eat something and mentally prep myself. I got a feeling that I'm going to end up staring at the ceiling though.

I think I might just go work out for a little while and run a couple of miles. That should wear me out a bit.

That's a pissah!

I worked night shifts for a few weeks at a time in residency. I love working nights, but getting sleep during the day really is hard. It's too bright, too warm, too many noises...

Plus, it sucks trying to shift yourself back to human hours on the weekend.

I'm working on it. Gotta eat something and mentally prep myself. I got a feeling that I'm going to end up staring at the ceiling though.

I think I might just go work out for a little while and run a couple of miles. That should wear me out a bit.

I suggest taking a walk to your local pub and have yourself a Guinness! :D

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/print/2008/3/guinness-st-patricks-day.jpg

The landlord is required to give you notice and you didn't even have to answer that door.

Never had that happen to me, but my dog is old and he has to pee a lot so he wakes me at 3am AND 5am EVERY single day!

:beer:

The landlord is required to give you notice and you didn't even have to answer that door.

Never had that happen to me, but my dog is old and he has to pee a lot so he wakes me at 3am AND 5am EVERY single day!

Thanks for the suggestion but being a recovering alcoholic I don't think that's such a great idea :eusa_angel:

Thanks for the suggestion but being a recovering alcoholic I don't think that's such a great idea :eusa_angel:

:eusa_eh: Sorry!

:eusa_eh: Sorry!

No worries :)

A little while ago I was rudely awakened from a deep sleep.

As some of you may know, I work nights. Not 3-11 nights but 9PM-5AM nights.

Anyway, I was out cold nestled cozily in my bed with a fan blowing in my face when I was awoken to what sounded like someone banging nails into the side of my building. I ignored it for a minute or two but the sound persisted. I got out of bed to look out the window and see that the fuck was going when I realized that the banging wasn't outside but on my apartment door. Dude's banging on the door like he's the fucking police.

I throw some sweats on go to the door and grunt, "Who is it?"

"Maintenance."

I opened the door, "Can I help you?"

"Ummm ... yeah, maintenance I'm here to do an inspection," the jackass said.

I know I didn't receive any notification of this inspection. I informed the guy of this and told him to have a nice day and that he better be legit because the next thing I'm doing after closing this door is calling the cops and telling them there is a lunatic banging on people's doors in my building. Then I slammed the door in his face.

I didn't really call the cops. I just called the apartment office to verify if they were doing inspections, which they did and I gave them a piece of my mind about proper notification and polite ways to knock on doors. I then told him they aren't getting in here to do their inspection for at least 24 hours.

But now I'm just wide awake and pissed. I better get back to bed before 4 this afternoon otherwise it's going to be a LONG night tonight.

Anything like this ever happen to you?

Hell, yeah!

Just yesterday I was awoken in the midst of my afternoon nap...just because the light turned green.

How about a chilled pint glass of water?

Forum List

Back