I'm an AMERICAN, Jack!

Feb 25, 2012
I'm not a European American.

I'm not an African American.

I'm not a Jewish American.

And I'm not a Native American.

I'm a little bit of all of these, including an Irishman. But...that was only four hundred years ago. Something to do with leaving Scotland for Ireland, a few steps ahead of the Sheriff. A trumped-up treason charge, I believe. So I'm not sure the family is considered to be true Irishmen yet. I mean, four hundred years isn't a really long time by the standards of English History.

I'm an AMERICAN, Jack. I think some of you have forgotten what that means.

What's your point? Yeah, you can be simply an "American" if you want... but there's no harm to other people acknowledging their heritage.

Being an American is no better than being a European American.

Being an American is no better than being an African American.

Being an American is no better than being a Jewish American.

Being an American is no better than being a Native American.

We're a country built by immigrants. We can keep our ties to our heritage.

Quit being a sourpuss. You're playing a stupid game of semantics.

Being an American doesn't mean what it used to.

I'm an American that doesn't mean I'm also an alcoholic or drug addict. I'm an American, that doesn't mean that I can't read, write or do basic arithmetic. I'm an American that doesn't mean I'm going to tell you want to eat, what to say, who to hire, fire or do business with. I'm an American, but no, I won't sue you just because I think I will make a buck. I won't demand that you fully fund my social life and see to it that my sex life is healthy.

The goal isn't one country, it's different tribes of people all competing against the other tribes.

What's your point? Yeah, you can be simply an "American" if you want... but there's no harm to other people acknowledging their heritage.

The real stupid game of semantics followed by the the weak rational behind it.
Oh well. :dunno:

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT

I'm a little bit of all of these, including an Irishman. But...that was only four hundred years ago. Something to do with leaving Scotland for Ireland, a few steps ahead of the Sheriff. A trumped-up treason charge, I believe. So I'm not sure the family is considered to be true Irishmen yet. I mean, four hundred years isn't a really long time by the standards of English History.

You aren't ........You're Scottish.

Just wondering how that works in the melting pot that this nation was known for?

What are you talking about? The country as a whole has been a melting pot because we were a nation of people from many nations... but we were absolutely not a homogeneous group then, and we're not now.

grandpa-simpson-yelling-at-cloud.jpg

The Irish are the only people worth more than spit. The rest of you bitches are just wasting OUR oxygen!

Just sayin...:eusa_whistle:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boO4RowROiw]Blazing Saddles "We Don't Want the Irish!" - YouTube[/ame]

Just wondering how that works in the melting pot that this nation was known for?

What are you talking about? The country as a whole has been a melting pot because we were a nation of people from many nations... but we were absolutely not a homogeneous group then, and we're not now.

The fact that you have to ask what I'm talking about speaks volumes. You really don't understand the term "melting pot". You should get a box of crayons and a double boiler system and then get back to me when you figure it out.

I'm an Antarctican-American. Love my heritage.

I am a son of Appalachia.

Since we are a protected class, I need to put in for my benefits.

Und der Katze sagt:

Put in for your benefits first, AND THEN we'll declare independence. We can bring back the old State of Franklin, and cash in on Federal aid. Or...we can declare war, lose, and Uncle Sam will rebuild our infrastructure.

Und der Katze sagt:

So...by implication, there's a SMART game of semantics?

Forum List

Back