Illiterate peasant = Mexican

Yes, but I wasn't intending to limit the discussion to that aspect of the story. Even if I accept AP's editorializing, I still maintain that albeit abrasive, it's still a fair comment not worthy of censure.

You are free to roam around and call Mexicans illiterate peasants. Just make sure you've got some back up. ;)

So you are upset that people are touchy?

So you are upset that people are touchy?

No, not really.

I'm actually more annoyed about how the AP chose to report it. It suggests that he was making a blanket, derogatory statement about all Mexicans when clearly he was not, even if those he was referring to happened to be Mexican.

Colo. lawmaker removed from podium over Mexicans remark

DENVER (AP) — A Colorado legislator known for kicking a photographer was ordered to leave the podium of the state House of Representatives on Monday because he called Mexican workers "illiterate peasants."

State Rep. Douglas Bruce, who has a history of provoking controversy, made the comment during debate on a bill that would allow the state to help immigrant workers get temporary federal visas. The measure is intended to ease a shortage of farm workers in the state.

"I would like to have the opportunity to state at the microphone why I don't think we need 5,000 more illiterate peasants in Colorado," Bruce said.

I don't see it. What did they report in what you posted that is untrue?

No, not really.

I'm actually more annoyed about how the AP chose to report it. It suggests that he was making a blanket, derogatory statement about all Mexicans when clearly he was not, even if those he was referring to happened to be Mexican.

No. They reported that the guy is a racist.... which he is.

No. They reported that the guy is a racist.... which he is.

he's a racist for pointing out the social class of illegal mexicans jumping the border, eh?

ooook. 'cause, you know how many mexican doctors swim accross the rio grand...

:rolleyes:

I think he's being racist as well.

But he's certainly entitled to continue. He's just delusional if he thinks no one is going to call him on it.

HOW is it racist to point out the socioeconomic class of ILLEGAL ALIENS flooding into the country? It's not like this wave of ILLEGALS are a new bastion of skilled labor. They are not. Nor, is it racist to point this out. In fact, it's shit like this that diminishes actual acts of racism.

HOW is it racist to point out the socioeconomic class of ILLEGAL ALIENS flooding into the country? It's not like this wave of ILLEGALS are a new bastion of skilled labor. They are not. Nor, is it racist to point this out. In fact, it's shit like this that diminishes actual acts of racism.

The bill to to get them temporary farmworker visas to EASE a SHORTAGE in the state that seems to be hurting the economy. And his objection is that he doesn't want any illiterate peasants...yeah, he's being racist. Otherwise he would have had a rational reason to be against a bill designed to help his state.

:cuckoo:

The bill to to get them temporary farmworker visas to EASE a SHORTAGE in the state that seems to be hurting the economy. And his objection is that he doesn't want any illiterate peasants...yeah, he's being racist. Otherwise he would have had a rational reason to be against a bill designed to help his state.

:cuckoo:

He's not being racist in pointing out that ILLEGAL MEXICANS are ILLITERATE PEASANTS even if you think temporary farmwork visas are indicative of a solution outside of, say, making farmwork LUCRATIVE for AMERICANS.

indeed, let's cheapen the value of labor some more. I mean, who needs an American when there are ILLITERATE ALIENS around willing to work for running water and access to a wal mart.

:rolleyes:

it;s not like this IS america or anything. Clearly, illiterate mexican serfs should have more consideration than the AMERICANS who brought the neat country that everyone wants to crash to the party.

I disagree. He was being racist. He offered no reason except to belittle the people the farms wanted to hire. Racism is used to make people feel small. He was trying to make people feel small. I don't even know if most Mexicans are illiterate, do you?

Not sure how you can diminish racism as you stated above. While there are different outcomes to racist speech or racist acts it doesn't make one comment not racist because it is possible to be even more racist.

uh, illiterate according to OUR ENGRISH social standard?

yes. very much so. Crippling so, in fact. And I don't think he was trying to BELITTLE mexicans as an entire ethnic group, rather, he was specifically pointing out the background of the ILLEGAL MEXICANS that have flooded into the country. Are you telling me that this ILLEGAL labor pool is NOT from the mexican peasant class? ARE THEY assimilating into OUR culture? no. on both counts.

You may call anything that even mentions ethnicity racism. I think that you diminish actual acts of racism by applying the same chicken little response to anything in which ethnicity is a variable. Not only is he RIGHT about the specific sample of the population that he was talking about his POINT about the reprocussions of allowing such into the country are drowned out by your knee jerk reaction. I guess calling someone a racist trumps having to put forth the effort in addressing his point. Ask jillian how that process works.

NOT sure how actual RACISM can be diminished by the chicken little effect?

See the duke rape case.

I disagree. He was being racist. He offered no reason except to belittle the people the farms wanted to hire. Racism is used to make people feel small. He was trying to make people feel small. I don't even know if most Mexicans are illiterate, do you?

Not sure how you can diminish racism as you stated above. While there are different outcomes to racist speech or racist acts it doesn't make one comment not racist because it is possible to be even more racist.

But he was belittling their education and economic status, not their race or ethnicity.

If a person said, we should just lock up all members of the crips because they're all just a bunch of murderous, theiving, uneducated criminals, is that racist just because the crips pretty much all happen to be black?

But he was belittling their education and economic status, not their race or ethnicity.

If a person said, we should just lock up all members of the crips because they're all just a bunch of murderous, theiving, uneducated criminals, is that racist just because the crips pretty much all happen to be black?

Okay, I suppose. I'm probably just being racist by assuming he is being racist.

I so can't stand silliness... do you think he meant anything else? People make comments. Other people understand those comments. Do you think the press is supposed to pretend they're morons?

Speaking truth ISN'T editorializing.

I can't stand lying....you report what a man says, not what you THINK he meant.....unless your into the mind reading version of the news...

Forum List

Back