Illinois Feels The Pain

Missouri's Democrat Governor Jay Nixon has really impressed me with his handling of the current crisis.

Here is an except from one of his speeches:

Good afternoon, everyone, and thank you for being here. My thanks to Chancellor Morton and Dean Tan for this opportunity to speak with you today. I'm pleased to have Kelvin Simmons, Commissioner of the Office of Administration, with me today. Kelvin is a key member of my team, and will oversee many of the reform initiatives I will discuss today.

About three weeks ago, I met with business leaders in Springfield, and laid out my blueprint to recalibrate the size and scope of state government.

It called for a clear-eyed reassessment of what government can do - and can't do - for our citizens.

That's what this blueprint is all about: refocusing priorities and doing fewer things, but doing them more efficiently, effectively, and with greater accountability to taxpayers.

This afternoon, I chose another group of business leaders - some of the best and brightest minds of today, and the students who will become the business leaders of tomorrow - to report back on our progress. In just three weeks, we have made solid headway.

Other states facing serious economic challenges have been paralyzed by partisan bickering, or distracted by desperate, untenable solutions.

Not the Show-Me State.

<SNIP>

As a fiscally conservative Democrat, I believe government must be efficient, effective, and economical.

Thrift is a virtue for all seasons: it serves us well in flush times, and is an absolute necessity in lean times.

My administration headed down that track on Day One, and we've stuck to it.

In the 15 months I have been Governor, I have:

• Made budget cuts totaling $ 1.2 billion;
  • Trimmed the state workforce by eighteen hundred positions. Those were difficult reductions, and we will be standing by those folks as they transition to other jobs.
  • We cut the state energy bill by 6 percent, saving taxpayers $3 million; and
  • We reined in spending in every department.
But budgets are about investing, too. And as we made the cuts necessary to keep us in the black, we were careful to protect our priorities, like education, job training and public safety.

Our early action, frugality and fiscal discipline continue to pay off.

National economic experts, like Moody's, consider Missouri one of the top states to lead the recovery.

Missouri is the only state in the Midwest with a triple-A bond rating from all three ratings firms.

You can read the rest of his remarks HERE.

I did not vote for Jay Nixon in 2008, but, through his actions in his first term, he has won my support.

That story plays off the emotions of people. However, the private sector (you know they sector that produces revenue for the public sector to run) has gotten rid of the unsustainable pension funds years ago. Back in the 50s and 60s the 90% of business had pension funds, fast forward to now and its less than 1%! Businesses soon discovered they are unsustainable and went to individual retirement plans.

SORRY, but the public sector needs to go that route also. Check any state budget and the pension plans are their #1 expense! Even the Federal Pension budget consists of 7% of the federal budget (not too mention 14% of the Fed budget goes to entitlement such as the Pension Relief Fund). Its highway robbery!

Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? &mdash; Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Mark Hemingway: America's public pension crisis has tragic consequences
TAGS: Mark Hemingway
COMMENTS (1) SHARE PRINT
By: Mark Hemingway 12/26/10 8:05 PM
When the police found the body of the town's 58-year-old retired fire marshal, the lights had been turned off in his house and he had no running water. He had no money to pay his bills and he was too proud to accept help from his neighbors.
Perhaps because he was so proud, the New York Times was polite enough not to use the fire marshal's name in their account of his death.

Welcome to Pritchard, Ala., where the public employee pension checks just stopped coming. As the Times reported last week, leaders of the city on the outskirts of Mobile had known since 2004 the pension fund was scheduled to run dry last year.

The city tried to declare bankruptcy, but state law forbids the town from ducking its pension obligations and a judge wouldn't allow it. The city just stopped paying its pensions. Pritchard's 150 retired city employees are reduced to showing up at city council meetings begging for money to get through the Christmas season.

For some years now, there have been warnings that the public pension crisis would sooner or later reach critical mass. America's public pension plans are underfunded by an estimated $3.6 trillion.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Mark Hemingway: America's public pension crisis has tragic consequences | Washington Examiner

Gov. Pat Quinn talks big-time borrowing while Illinois House mulls income tax increase options - chicagotribune.com

I can understand the impulse, but what about next year? BTW, Ohio is not in much better shape, nor are a few other states.

What should be done, IYO?

60% of out state budget goes to state worker pensions! Highway fucking robbery. Quinn is a douche bag like Blago!

I can't exactly feel sorry for you guys. You keep voting in these douches over and over again.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
Gov. Pat Quinn talks big-time borrowing while Illinois House mulls income tax increase options - chicagotribune.com

I can understand the impulse, but what about next year? BTW, Ohio is not in much better shape, nor are a few other states.

What should be done, IYO?

60% of out state budget goes to state worker pensions! Highway fucking robbery. Quinn is a douche bag like Blago!

I can't exactly feel sorry for you guys. You keep voting in these douches over and over again.

the state is dominated by a single city. You get out of the burbs and you will have a hard time finding anyone that votes (D).

Forum List

Back