Illinois Democrats Reeling As Blagojevich Scandal Develops

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
The scandal surrounding Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich has sent shockwaves through Illinois political circles -- not only casting a spotlight on the state's reputation for corruption but also potentially tainting the field of likely Democratic contenders for President-elect Barack Obama's former Senate seat.

The most prominent name on that list of contenders, Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., is literally facing howls of protests from some of his constituents. About a dozen protestors stood outside his Chicago office Saturday shouting, "Ho ho ho, Jesse Jr. gotta go."

Protest organizer Harold Davis said he believes allegations that an emissary may have offered to raise money for Blagojevich in exchange for Jackson being appointed to President-elect Barack Obama's Senate seat. Jackson has denied those rumors.

Illinois Democrats Reeling As Blagojevich Scandal Develops - FOXNews.com Transition Tracker

The scandal surrounding Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich has sent shockwaves through Illinois political circles -- not only casting a spotlight on the state's reputation for corruption but also potentially tainting the field of likely Democratic contenders for President-elect Barack Obama's former Senate seat.

The most prominent name on that list of contenders, Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., is literally facing howls of protests from some of his constituents. About a dozen protestors stood outside his Chicago office Saturday shouting, "Ho ho ho, Jesse Jr. gotta go."

Protest organizer Harold Davis said he believes allegations that an emissary may have offered to raise money for Blagojevich in exchange for Jackson being appointed to President-elect Barack Obama's Senate seat. Jackson has denied those rumors.

Illinois Democrats Reeling As Blagojevich Scandal Develops - FOXNews.com Transition Tracker

Well I know that I was SHOCKED! A Chicago Politician on the TAKE? NOoooooo.

That's why I thought it such a great idea to elect a Marxist Muslim pretending to be a Christian, who made his politicla career on the backs of 1960s radical leftists, entrenched in the Illinois Political machine... I'm sure he is TOTALLY innocent and has never had ANY dealings with ANY of the players in this unbridled corruption.

:eusa_shhh:ABSOLUTELY SURE!:eusa_shhh:

:eusa_angel:

Well I know that I was SHOCKED! A Chicago Politician on the TAKE? NOoooooo.

That's why I thought it such a great idea to elect a Marxist Muslim pretending to be a Christian, who made his politicla career on the backs of 1960s radical leftists, entrenched in the Illinois Political machine... I'm sure he is TOTALLY innocent and has never had ANY dealings with ANY of the players in this unbridled corruption.

:eusa_shhh:ABSOLUTELY SURE!:eusa_shhh:

:eusa_angel:

Ah yes, a Marxist Muslim. May I call you a Christian Nazi?

I prefer my corruption and insider political cronnyism to be much more gentile than they practice that game in Illinois.

Boys and girls, do we not yet get that our whole system of campiagn finance is one huge system of corruption?

Apparently not.

Blago was just very very clumsy at it.

Jesse Jackson, Junior went to the FBI and turned Blago in for corruption. He was basically and FBI informant, of sorts. Are you going to acknowledge Jackson for being ethical, or was this thread just an attempt at being a complete partisan hack?

Jackson Jr. went to authorities about Illinois governor

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., who was cited in a criminal complaint against Rod Blagojevich, went to the U.S. Attorney's office about alleged wrongdoers, including the Illinois governor, a Jackson spokesman said Tuesday.

Jesse Jackson Jr. reported in 2006 what he believed was a shakedown by the Illinois governor.

Jackson rejected being labeled with the term "informant" in a message to CNN contributor Roland Martin.

Spokesman Kenneth Edmonds described Jackson's interaction with federal authorities this way: "As a responsible citizen and elected official, Congressman Jackson has in the past provided information to federal authorities regarding his personal knowledge of perceived corruption and governmental misconduct.

"This was completely unrelated to the current investigation regarding the U.S. Senate appointment. And it is absolutely inaccurate to describe the congressman as an informant," Edmonds said in a written statement.

Jackson, a Democrat, has given information regarding the embattled Democratic governor of Illinois, though not in the case currently under investigation, Edmonds said.

In addition, two sources close to Jackson told CNN that, in 2002, Blagojevich -- then running for governor of Illinois -- solicited a $25,000 campaign donation from Jackson, which he did not get.

At the time, Jackson's wife, Sandi, was a candidate for the job of director of the state's Lottery Commission, a post she did not win, the sources said.

After Blagojevich took office, in early 2003, he told Jackson something to the effect of, "You see what $25,000 would have done?" the sources said.

In 2006, Jackson reported the incident, which he believed to have been an attempt at a shakedown, the sources said.

The report, the sources said, came three three years later because Jackson's memory was jogged by another case -- that of developer Tony Rezko, whose fraud and corruption trial included testimony about $25,000 donations to Blagojevich.

Jackson did not endorse Blagojevich in his initial campaign and tried to stay on the sidelines during the governor's re-election bid, one of the sources said.

Jackson Jr. went to authorities about Illinois governor - CNN.com

Jesse Jackson, Junior went to the FBI and turned Blago in for corruption. He was basically and FBI informant, of sorts. Are you going to acknowledge Jackson for being ethical, or was this thread just an attempt at being a complete partisan hack?

Of course not, all these silly partisan hacks having a party over this are the least bit concerned about ethics.

Prosecutors accuse Blagojevich of selling the Senate seat in exchange for campaign contributions and other favors. However, they did not accuse Jackson or any of the other candidates referred to in the complaint of wrongdoing.

Jackson Jr. went to authorities about Illinois governor

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., who was cited in a criminal complaint against Rod Blagojevich, went to the U.S. Attorney's office about alleged wrongdoers, including the Illinois governor, a Jackson spokesman said Tuesday.

Jesse Jackson Jr. reported in 2006 what he believed was a shakedown by the Illinois governor.

Jackson rejected being labeled with the term "informant" in a message to CNN contributor Roland Martin.

Spokesman Kenneth Edmonds described Jackson's interaction with federal authorities this way: "As a responsible citizen and elected official, Congressman Jackson has in the past provided information to federal authorities regarding his personal knowledge of perceived corruption and governmental misconduct.

"This was completely unrelated to the current investigation regarding the U.S. Senate appointment. And it is absolutely inaccurate to describe the congressman as an informant," Edmonds said in a written statement.

Jackson, a Democrat, has given information regarding the embattled Democratic governor of Illinois, though not in the case currently under investigation, Edmonds said.

In addition, two sources close to Jackson told CNN that, in 2002, Blagojevich -- then running for governor of Illinois -- solicited a $25,000 campaign donation from Jackson, which he did not get.

At the time, Jackson's wife, Sandi, was a candidate for the job of director of the state's Lottery Commission, a post she did not win, the sources said.

After Blagojevich took office, in early 2003, he told Jackson something to the effect of, "You see what $25,000 would have done?" the sources said.

In 2006, Jackson reported the incident, which he believed to have been an attempt at a shakedown, the sources said.

The report, the sources said, came three three years later because Jackson's memory was jogged by another case -- that of developer Tony Rezko, whose fraud and corruption trial included testimony about $25,000 donations to Blagojevich.

Jackson did not endorse Blagojevich in his initial campaign and tried to stay on the sidelines during the governor's re-election bid, one of the sources said.

I can't believe YOU have the audacity to call ANYONE a partisan hack. That's borderline absurd.

Blagojevich is dirty. I expect the exact SAME witchhunt used on him and anyone affiliated with him as Libby got.

Why would his supporters call for him to go when there is no allegation of wrongdoing?

Me wonders who these supporters really are.

Forum List

Back