Illegals!

Zona

A guy in ariZONA
Aug 15, 2009
Phoenix, AZ.
I just remembered something. I served with a guy who was not a citizen. He was from Mexico actually and he told me he would be able to become a citizen when his four years were up. I also knew a Filipino guy in the same situation. They were technically "illegals".

Did you know, the military hires "illegals" to serve? I served beside illegals! To me they were more patriotic than most people on this board, but they would be looked at as simply "illegals"

Thoughts?

Migration Information Source - The Foreign Born in the Armed Services

Citizenship and the Armed Forces
•A July 2002 executive order made noncitizen members of the armed forces eligible for expedited US citizenship.
•More than 13,000 foreign-born members of the armed forces have applied for US citizenship since the July 2002 executive order.
•Since September 11, 2001, 84 military personnel killed in the line of duty have received posthumous citizenship.
•USCIS has granted citizenship to approximately 2,500 foreign-born service members since 2004.
Statistics on the Foreign Born

Migration Information Source - The Foreign Born in the Armed Services

Citizenship and the Armed Forces
•A July 2002 executive order made noncitizen members of the armed forces eligible for expedited US citizenship.
•More than 13,000 foreign-born members of the armed forces have applied for US citizenship since the July 2002 executive order.
•Since September 11, 2001, 84 military personnel killed in the line of duty have received posthumous citizenship.
•USCIS has granted citizenship to approximately 2,500 foreign-born service members since 2004.
Statistics on the Foreign Born

That damn Bush!

I just remembered something. I served with a guy who was not a citizen. He was from Mexico actually and he told me he would be able to become a citizen when his four years were up. I also knew a Filipino guy in the same situation. They were technically "illegals".

Did you know, the military hires "illegals" to serve? I served beside illegals! To me they were more patriotic than most people on this board, but they would be looked at as simply "illegals"

Thoughts?

A non-citizen isn't always the same thing as an illegal alien, you fucking retard.

No wonder you guys are all freaked out. You don't even know what the hell an illegal alien is.

Thoughts?

A non-citizen isn't always the same thing as an illegal alien, you fucking retard.

the guys I served with didnt have visa's, came from another country and were in the united states military. In other words, they were illegals who seved. Fucking idiot.

Thoughts?

Yeah, they were not "technically" illegals.

They were techically legal immigrants.

Thoughts?

the guys I served with didnt have visa's, came from another country and were in the united states military. In other words, they were illegals who seved. Fucking idiot.

I rather doubt that.

One of the first things they do when you're being inducted or joining is establish who you are and what your citizenship status is.

At least that's how it used to be.

And I don't believe that that's changed, either.

Did you really ever serve in the military?

Your story suggests not.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Maybe the government is so desperate for cannon fodder they'll take anybody now.

That damn Bush!

Where the heck have you people been??? This has been happening since WW2 if not since the Korean conflict!!

Thoughts?

Illegals are criminals, let and American criminal get caught in the service, they'll be locked up not rewarded.

American citizens sacrifice at times of war. It's our duty, the debt for living in the U.S.A.

Right now, much of the sacrifice is shouldered by families whose sons and daughters risk their lives in Iraq. It's a sacrifice we reflect on this week, as the nation marks the fifth anniversary of the start of the Iraq War.

But there are also U.S. soldiers fighting and dying in Iraq who were born in other countries.

More than 20,000 non-citizens are on active duty in the U.S. armed forces. Dozens of U.S. immigrant soldiers have died in Iraq. Immigrants have braved the battlefields of war since the dawn of America. And, they've held their own.
Immigrants have earned more than 20 percent of the 3,406 Congressional Medals of Honor, according to the National Immigration Law Center.

The U.S. government re-paid this commitment in 2002, when President Bush signed an executive order allowing immigrant soldiers to apply for citizenship as soon as they enlist. They previously had to wait three years.

Altruistic reasons alone did not motivate the Bush administration. The armed services have suffered from longstanding recruiting problems. Tapping into the growing supply of immigrants -- many of whom are poor and minority -- is an easy way to meet recruiting quotas. And dangling fast-track to citizenship as a carrot is a sure-fire way for Uncle Sam to attract immigrants.

But here's a controversial wrinkle to weigh: Should the U.S. allow illegal immigrants to serve in the military? Only citizens and legal permanent residents can enlist now.

This debate simmered in 2003 when we learned that one of the first U.S. soldiers killed in combat in Iraq had been an illegal immigrant. Marine Lance Cpl. Jose Gutierrez died in a firefight March 21, 2003. The Guatemalan was 14 when he left behind his dead parents and trekked 2,000 miles to cross into the U.S. illegally. At the time, the U.S. didn't deport Guatemalan children who arrived without family. He was allowed to stay and became a legal resident at age 18.

A provision in the immigration bill that failed last year would have granted legal residency to illegal immigrants who enlist in the U.S. military. The immigrants could eventaully earn citizenship.

Though the bill was killed, several U.S. senators have pledged to revive the much-talked about DREAM Act, which includes the provision granting status to illegal immigrants in the military.

Altruistic reasons alone did not motivate the Bush administration. The armed services have suffered from longstanding recruiting problems. Tapping into the growing supply of immigrants -- many of whom are poor and minority -- is an easy way to meet recruiting quotas. And dangling fast-track to citizenship as a carrot is a sure-fire way for Uncle Sam to attract immigrants.

Thoughts?

You're an idiot. They had "papers" that made them legal until they were done in the service and could become citizens.

Rick

Forum List

Back