Illegals not welcome in Hazelton

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/news/14813446.htm

Barletta: Illegals are not welcome
Hazleton mayor proposes a ban on hiring, renting to illegal immigrants.
By MICHAEL P. BUFFER [email protected]
HAZLETON – Mayor Lou Barletta has proposed an ordinance that would prohibit and punish the hiring of illegal immigrants and renting property to them.

“I don’t want them here in Hazleton,” Barletta said. “They’re not wanted. … The jobs most work are selling drugs. Many I am dealing with are not law-abiding citizens.”

The city’s population has spiked from 23,000 to 31,000 residents in six years because of an influx of Hispanics.

Barletta said he doesn’t know how many of the city’s new residents are in the country illegally.

Many new residents “are a productive part of our community,” Barletta said.

“But a group of people are here illegally, not paying taxes, using city resources, and I have just had enough of it,” the Republican mayor added.

The proposed ordinance also would make English the city’s official language. That means all city communication, including signs and forms, could only be in English – unless it violates an explicit federal mandate.

Barletta plans to present the “City of Hazleton Illegal Immigration Relief Act Ordinance” to city council at tomorrow’s meeting for the first of three readings.

If approved, the measure would be the first of its type in the United States, Barletta said.

The San Bernardino City Council rejected a similar ordinance last month, but residents of the southern California city are trying to put the ordinance on the ballot for a citywide vote.

“Somebody needs to take a stand on this,” Barletta said, noting estimates that put about 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States.

“I want to send the message: Don’t come to Hazleton.”

The proposed ordinance says “illegal immigration leads to higher crime rates, contributes to overcrowded classrooms and failing schools, subjects our hospitals to fiscal hardship and legal residents to substandard quality of care, and destroys our neighborhoods and diminishes our overall quality of life.”

Barletta noted some recent high-profile crimes in the city committed by illegal immigrants.

Last month, two illegal immigrants from the Dominican Republic were charged in the May 10 shooting death of a 29-year-old man near his East Chestnut Street home.

In response to the population growth, the city has increased its police force from 23 to 32 officers, Barletta said.

“We’re hiring three more in the next few weeks, and that’s still not nearly enough,” the mayor said. “It’s not fair to be using resources on people who don’t belong here.”

Officials estimate the city’s Hispanic population between 7,000 and 9,000, about 23 percent to 29 percent of the city population.

Hispanics accounted for just 3 percent of Hazleton’s population in 2000, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

“I am not against immigration, but everyone should do it the legal way,” Barletta said, adding some of his grandparents and great-grandparents learned English after legally entering the United States from Italy.

A couple years ago, the city began printing zoning applications and permits in Spanish, the mayor said.

“We tried to accommodate the new arrivals,” he said.

Amilcar Arroyo, who publishes a Spanish newspaper in the city, said he supports the proposed ordinance.

“To me, it’s OK to fight the crime. … English is the official language. If you come here, you should learn English,” Arroyo said.

Under the proposed ordinance, the city would reject a business permit, the renewal of a business permit and city contracts or grants for a period of not less than five years from a business’s last offense – hiring or attempting to hire an illegal alien, renting or leasing to illegal aliens, or funding or aiding in the establishment of a day laborer center that does not verify legal work status.

“Any act that aids and abets illegal aliens within the United States, not just within the City limits, will constitute a violation,” the proposed ordinance says.

Any property owner or renter/tenant/lessee in control of property who allows an illegal alien to use, rent or lease their property would face a fine of not less than $1,000, irrespective of intent, knowledge or negligence.

“We won’t punish a landlord if he is given false documentation,” Barletta said.

Watch the je-- i mean the ACLU swoop in and nip this in the bud.

Who wants to make a gentleman's wager?

rtwngAvngr said:
Watch the je-- i mean the ACLU swoop in and nip this in the bud.

Who wants to make a gentleman's wager?

Agreed--the ACLU can outspend that town easily.

GunnyL said:
Illegal aliens should not be welcome ANYWHERE inside the borders of the US.

Agreed. It's pathetic that we have actually have news when a mayor stands up and says that it will prosecute illegals and the businesses who hire the illegals.

This should be the NORMAL PROCEDURES IN EVERY MUNICIPALITY IN THE UNITED STATES!

F41 said:
uh, The Legals?

No, I mean labor.

And by the way i'm still waiting for someone to bring out this mythical legal American who is willing to work shitty jobs in extreme conditions 12-14 hrs a day. Doled out this task like two months ago, no replies.

Could it be he doesn't exist?

OCA said:
No, I mean labor.

And by the way i'm still waiting for someone to bring out this mythical legal American who is willing to work shitty jobs in extreme conditions 12-14 hrs a day. Doled out this task like two months ago, no replies.

Maybe the job description will be re-written. ( I know several Americans who sit with the illegals at the labor pool and hope to get selected for a shitty job that pays maybe $10 an hour.)

dilloduck said:
Maybe the job description will be re-written. ( I know several Americans who sit with the illegals at the labor pool and hope to get selected for a shitty job that pays maybe $10 an hour.)

Care to provide some sort of proof of these Americans? I know Warren Buffet too but I don't think I can get him on here.

OCA said:
Care to provide some sort of proof of these Americans? I know Warren Buffet too but I don't think I can get him on here.

You want a damn picture of them standing in line?:rotflmao:

dilloduck said:
You want a damn picture of them standing in line?:rotflmao:

Got a digital? Go down and snap a fucking portrait with them wearing I love Duck on it, don't photoshop it though!

Won't happen because they don't exist.

OCA said:
Got a digital? Go down and snap a fucking portrait with them wearing I love Duck on it, don't photoshop it though!

Won't happen because they don't exist.

There is no one so blind as those who will not see. Austin is full of down and out WHITES who stand in line to do the same shitty work for the same shitty pay.
( If I went down there with a dig cam they would mug me for it :teeth: )

Let’s go back in time, to the day’s blacks were working in places like the cotton fields, when Americans did not want to do these jobs themselves, a time when slaves were paid little if none in monetary wages but were given shelter and food as payment for there labor. They had no American dream. This was called slavery. As I recall, slavery is now illegal in this country, yet there are those who spoke out against this, and there are those that had family who were subjected to this at one time and now wanting illegal immigrants to do the work that Americans do not want to do themselves.

Some Americans want to go back to this way of life and allow illegal immigrants to do these same type of jobs they do not want to do themselves today and pay them little wages. Does this not amount to a type of slavery?

The problem I see is that we need to learn to do these jobs ourselves. If we allow this type of behavior of having illegal do the job for us, pretty soon we will have groups such as the A.C.L.U. and the N.A.A.C.P. coming down on us and then you will have an up rise of other groups such as let’s say the I. I.C. R. A . ( Illegal Immigrants Civil Rights Association )

OCA said:
No, I mean labor.

Look, I have done dirty jobs through out my life and I am a full fledged American. I have worked in water a wastewater management and I know it is not a great job to do. I have been in sewers with shit and needles from drug addicts and roaches crawling over me, having to smell the stench that I myself would not wish upon others just because I did no want to do it myself.

Americans who want others to do a job just because they do not want to do it themselves are no better then those slave holders back in the days of past.

dilloduck said:
Barletta: Illegals are not welcome
Hazleton mayor proposes a ban on hiring, renting to illegal immigrants.
By MICHAEL P. BUFFER [email protected]
HAZLETON – Mayor Lou Barletta has proposed an ordinance that would prohibit and punish the hiring of illegal immigrants and renting property to them.

“I don’t want them here in Hazleton,” Barletta said. “They’re not wanted. … The jobs most work are selling drugs. Many I am dealing with are not law-abiding citizens.”

The city’s population has spiked from 23,000 to 31,000 residents in six years because of an influx of Hispanics.

Barletta said he doesn’t know how many of the city’s new residents are in the country illegally.

Many new residents “are a productive part of our community,” Barletta said.

“But a group of people are here illegally, not paying taxes, using city resources, and I have just had enough of it,” the Republican mayor added.

The proposed ordinance also would make English the city’s official language. That means all city communication, including signs and forms, could only be in English – unless it violates an explicit federal mandate.

Barletta plans to present the “City of Hazleton Illegal Immigration Relief Act Ordinance” to city council at tomorrow’s meeting for the first of three readings.

If approved, the measure would be the first of its type in the United States, Barletta said.

The San Bernardino City Council rejected a similar ordinance last month, but residents of the southern California city are trying to put the ordinance on the ballot for a citywide vote.

“Somebody needs to take a stand on this,” Barletta said, noting estimates that put about 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States.

“I want to send the message: Don’t come to Hazleton.”

The proposed ordinance says “illegal immigration leads to higher crime rates, contributes to overcrowded classrooms and failing schools, subjects our hospitals to fiscal hardship and legal residents to substandard quality of care, and destroys our neighborhoods and diminishes our overall quality of life.”

Barletta noted some recent high-profile crimes in the city committed by illegal immigrants.

Last month, two illegal immigrants from the Dominican Republic were charged in the May 10 shooting death of a 29-year-old man near his East Chestnut Street home.

In response to the population growth, the city has increased its police force from 23 to 32 officers, Barletta said.

“We’re hiring three more in the next few weeks, and that’s still not nearly enough,” the mayor said. “It’s not fair to be using resources on people who don’t belong here.”

Officials estimate the city’s Hispanic population between 7,000 and 9,000, about 23 percent to 29 percent of the city population.

Hispanics accounted for just 3 percent of Hazleton’s population in 2000, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

“I am not against immigration, but everyone should do it the legal way,” Barletta said, adding some of his grandparents and great-grandparents learned English after legally entering the United States from Italy.

A couple years ago, the city began printing zoning applications and permits in Spanish, the mayor said.

“We tried to accommodate the new arrivals,” he said.

Amilcar Arroyo, who publishes a Spanish newspaper in the city, said he supports the proposed ordinance.

“To me, it’s OK to fight the crime. … English is the official language. If you come here, you should learn English,” Arroyo said.

Under the proposed ordinance, the city would reject a business permit, the renewal of a business permit and city contracts or grants for a period of not less than five years from a business’s last offense – hiring or attempting to hire an illegal alien, renting or leasing to illegal aliens, or funding or aiding in the establishment of a day laborer center that does not verify legal work status.

“Any act that aids and abets illegal aliens within the United States, not just within the City limits, will constitute a violation,” the proposed ordinance says.

Any property owner or renter/tenant/lessee in control of property who allows an illegal alien to use, rent or lease their property would face a fine of not less than $1,000, irrespective of intent, knowledge or negligence.

“We won’t punish a landlord if he is given false documentation,” Barletta said.
Sounds good to me, except maybe making English language the official language.

F41 said:
Let’s go back in time, to the day’s blacks were working in places like the cotton fields, when Americans did not want to do these jobs themselves, a time when slaves were paid little if none in monetary wages but were given shelter and food as payment for there labor. They had no American dream. This was called slavery. As I recall, slavery is now illegal in this country, yet there are those who spoke out against this, and there are those that had family who were subjected to this at one time and now wanting illegal immigrants to do the work that Americans do not want to do themselves.

Some Americans want to go back to this way of life and allow illegal immigrants to do these same type of jobs they do not want to do themselves today and pay them little wages. Does this not amount to a type of slavery?

The problem I see is that we need to learn to do these jobs ourselves. If we allow this type of behavior of having illegal do the job for us, pretty soon we will have groups such as the A.C.L.U. and the N.A.A.C.P. coming down on us and then you will have an up rise of other groups such as let’s say the I. I.C. R. A . ( Illegal Immigrants Civil Rights Association )

Look, I have done dirty jobs through out my life and I am a full fledged American. I have worked in water a wastewater management and I know it is not a great job to do. I have been in sewers with shit and needles from drug addicts and roaches crawling over me, having to smell the stench that I myself would not wish upon others just because I did no want to do it myself.

Americans who want others to do a job just because they do not want to do it themselves are no better then those slave holders back in the days of past.

Slavery? lol

The real facts of this matter are for roughly 4 decades now people have been coming across that border illegally with a nod and a wink from the federal government and because of that the economy of the agricultural west mainly has developed around their work, mainly because the illegals will work for cheaper wages when a farmer or rancher cannot afford to pay anymore than that. I'm speaking from experience on the farmer part, mostly apples, the cycle goes thusly: you take out a loan from the bank, you harvest your crop, you sell your crop to pay off the bank note and then do it all over again, there is no money(unless you are a major agricultural corporation) to pay higher wages and benefits.......but alas the work still has to get done.

Our society today has become highly educated and one of instant gratification especially when it comes to money earned, nobody wants to start at the bottom anymore, thats a fact. This is why when you go to a Vegas hotel or you go to B.K. or you go to get your car washed etc. etc. the labor is mainly being done by immigrants legal and illegal. Simply put and like it or not our economy is dependent upon this source of cheap labor, cheap labor simply isn't home produced here anymore.

The only logical solution is fix the border and move nonviolent crime commiting illegals on a path to citizenship since logistically and financially there is no possible way to round up illegals in America and deport them. It really is just a matter of time before this happens anyway.

This mayor in Hazleton, anybody ever been to Hazleton before? I have, my brother lived just across I-81 from there in Nescopeck, PA, its a shithole, its an old steel and coal mining town in the Blue Mts. and I guarantee you it was a shithole long before the last 5-6 years like the mayor is claiming, looks like he's looking for a scapegoat for the sorry ass condition of his town.

OCA said:
Making English the official language is a joke, its symbolic only, it solves nothing.

No. actually it will save millions of dollars in printing and translation costs, and will guarantee a minimum level cultural cohesion in the society.

Forum List

Back