Illegal subsidies LOST Jobs!!

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
BRUSSELS -- The World Trade Organization ruled Friday that plane maker Airbus received illegal subsidies from European governments, according to two people familiar with the matter. The WTO said in a confidential interim ruling that the preferential government loans for the A380 passenger jet constituted an illegal export subsidy, these people said.

More
Earlier: Boeing Set for Victory Over Airbus in Subsidy Case View Full Image

Bloomberg News
Boeing and the U.S. claim that Europe unfairly subsidizes planes such as the Airbus A350, which will vie with Boeing's 787, here at its unveiling in 2007.
The decision could give the U.S. government and Chicago-based Boeing Co. legal ammunition to contest future funding for Airbus, a unit of European Aeronautic Defence & Space Co.
WTO Ruling Calls Airbus Aid Illegal - WSJ.com

These Govt. loans that directly offset the development costs of aircraft by Airbus that they intend to sell to the US Military through EADS are NOT being considered or even factored in the new USAF Tanker program that the USAF last year awarded to EADS, i.e. Airbus at the expense of Boeing. I wonder in a time of high unemployment if it's wise policy to continue to outsource defense needs especially in this case which will result in many lost American jobs. This is not a new policxy by any stretch of the imagination, the U.S. Military has purchased the new Presidential helicopter from an Italian helicopter maker and has recently solicited Airbus for information on the A380 as a possible replcement for Air Force One.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk625rH-9lI[/ame]

I don't see how they possibly imagined this would fly, no pun intended.

I don't see how they possibly imagined this would fly, no pun intended.

None taken, but the last award was given to EADS/Airbus disregarding those subsidies and many other aspects of the award. It was later challenged by Boeing and upheld , so now there is another round of bidding and the new RFP does not include any measures against these subsidies and still further more than a few in congress are advocating a "split buy" between Boeing and EADS/Airbus on this Tanker. These are the kinds of things that happen at DoD and just for example Polk this Tanker bid has been going on for years back when Boeing tried to lease Tankers from Boeing and the deal was killed by John McCain and resulted in the awarding officer going to prison. People wonder why the Govt. spends too much money?

Forum List

Back