Illegal immigrants draft legal plans in case of deportation

Bullfighter

Rookie
Jun 10, 2010
Illegal immigrants nervous about stronger enforcement have started drawing up legal documents to spell out what they want to happen to their families and belongings if they are deported.

Attorneys in New Mexico, Arizona and Texas say illegal immigrants began approaching them for help preparing the documents as the national debate over immigration heated up in recent months.

"There's a culture of fear out there," says Jason Mills, a Fort Worth immigration attorney who was not asked for such help until this year.
Cecilia Menjívar, an Arizona State University sociology professor, says immigrant families started preparing informal plans in 2006, when Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents were conducting raids at work sites.

Children were stranded at school when parents were arrested at work, she says. If workers were caught on the street, relatives didn't know how to phone their employers. Wives couldn't get access to detained husbands' bank accounts. Menjívar says families began discussing who would care for children and preparing emergency lists: "People usually have the firefighters or police on that list, but in this case, it's people who can take care of the kids, the number of employers."

Mills says several things sent illegal immigrants to lawyers this year. Congress has failed to act on legislation that would legalize the status of some of the country's 11 million illegal immigrants. The Obama administration has increased deportations — a record 392,000 people in the past 12 months.

Most striking, Mills says, was the debate that followed passage of Arizona's immigration law, now on hold. It required police with reasonable suspicion to check the immigration status of someone stopped for another reason. It prompted more than a dozen other states to consider similar laws.

"People have gotten scared," he says.
A document drawn up by an illegal immigrant is as binding as any other legal paper, Mills says.

For people with few belongings, a notarized letter can be enough. For those who have money and property, Mary Ann Romero, an immigration attorney in Albuquerque, refers them to lawyers who specialize in wills and trusts.

In Phoenix, a group called Puente Arizona has developed an action plan that contains information about the person, bank accounts and property and designates who is responsible for the children.

Silvia Hernandez, 24, an illegal immigrant from Mexico, is five months pregnant. She is preparing documents to ensure that her partner, a legal U.S. resident, gets custody of her baby if she is deported, not the state foster care system. "I don't want my baby to go into the system," says Hernandez, a University of Texas at Arlington student.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ans12_ST_N.htm

------------------------------------------

What AMERICAN attorney would handle any case for an illegal? That would be collaborating with an enemy of the people of the United States.

Illegals could just pack up their stuff and go home. Problem solved.

I'm all for Immigration reform. We can start by ending the anchor baby laws. Which were not the intent of the 14th amendment anyway.

Agreed, but if the government is truly stealing illegals away in the middle of the night without giving them opportunity to tend to their affairs, I'd be shocked. Frankly I don't believe some of the events in the OP. Kids left at school? Wives who just couldn't find their husbands? Bullshit, these people get due process and not just "hey you're illegal, off to Mexico you go."

I'm all for Immigration reform. We can start by ending the anchor baby laws. Which were not the intent of the 14th amendment anyway.

Agreed, but if the government is truly stealing illegals away in the middle of the night without giving them opportunity to tend to their affairs, I'd be shocked. Frankly I don't believe some of the events in the OP. Kids left at school? Wives who just couldn't find their husbands? Bullshit, these people get due process and not just "hey you're illegal, off to Mexico you go."

They all have to appear in court before they are deported. Most of them are released until court the date, and then don't show up.

They all have to appear in court before they are deported. Most of them are released until court the date, and then don't show up.

Exactly, which makes these claims of illegals being snatched up off the streets and shipped to Mexico bullshit.

But how would you feel about this?

Illegal man joins the military, his family is allowed to remain in the country while he serves, as legal residents. The day he successfully completes his first tour (figure 4 years and nothing less than an honorable discharge or reenlistment) his entire immediate family gets full citizenship?

Nope, I am all for illegals being shipped back to where they came from. With very few exceptions. Join the Military as an illegal? No thank you they have already broke the law how do you trust them to watch your back?

Nope, I am all for illegals being shipped back to where they came from. With very few exceptions. Join the Military as an illegal? No thank you they have already broke the law how do you trust them to watch your back?

Give me a break, we BOTH know that criminals have been part of the US military since the beginning. And we know that the screening process is pretty effective at catching those who don't want to do the right thing.

Illegal immigrants nervous about stronger enforcement have started drawing up legal documents to spell out what they want to happen to their families and belongings if they are deported.

Attorneys in New Mexico, Arizona and Texas say illegal immigrants began approaching them for help preparing the documents as the national debate over immigration heated up in recent months.

"There's a culture of fear out there," says Jason Mills, a Fort Worth immigration attorney who was not asked for such help until this year.
Cecilia Menjívar, an Arizona State University sociology professor, says immigrant families started preparing informal plans in 2006, when Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents were conducting raids at work sites.

Children were stranded at school when parents were arrested at work, she says. If workers were caught on the street, relatives didn't know how to phone their employers. Wives couldn't get access to detained husbands' bank accounts. Menjívar says families began discussing who would care for children and preparing emergency lists: "People usually have the firefighters or police on that list, but in this case, it's people who can take care of the kids, the number of employers."

Mills says several things sent illegal immigrants to lawyers this year. Congress has failed to act on legislation that would legalize the status of some of the country's 11 million illegal immigrants. The Obama administration has increased deportations — a record 392,000 people in the past 12 months.

Most striking, Mills says, was the debate that followed passage of Arizona's immigration law, now on hold. It required police with reasonable suspicion to check the immigration status of someone stopped for another reason. It prompted more than a dozen other states to consider similar laws.

"People have gotten scared," he says.
A document drawn up by an illegal immigrant is as binding as any other legal paper, Mills says.

For people with few belongings, a notarized letter can be enough. For those who have money and property, Mary Ann Romero, an immigration attorney in Albuquerque, refers them to lawyers who specialize in wills and trusts.

In Phoenix, a group called Puente Arizona has developed an action plan that contains information about the person, bank accounts and property and designates who is responsible for the children.

Silvia Hernandez, 24, an illegal immigrant from Mexico, is five months pregnant. She is preparing documents to ensure that her partner, a legal U.S. resident, gets custody of her baby if she is deported, not the state foster care system. "I don't want my baby to go into the system," says Hernandez, a University of Texas at Arlington student.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ans12_ST_N.htm

------------------------------------------

What AMERICAN attorney would handle any case for an illegal? That would be collaborating with an enemy of the people of the United States.

OMG....there are a million Ron Kuby's out there just waiting for a juicy case like this to pull at the lefty media's heart strings....:eusa_pray:

I was against the lowering of standards. Always have been. And once you have a record you can't have a security clearance so what good are ya to most units?

I was against the lowering of standards. Always have been. And once you have a record you can't have a security clearance so what good are ya to most units?

Being in this country illegally is a CIVIL offense Ollie, and thus would not affect any security clearance except the very highest levels.

Being in this country illegally is a CIVIL offense Ollie, and thus would not affect any security clearance except the very highest levels.

Do we start giving foreign nationals security clearances?

Obviously Ollie is a veteran. And you are questioning HIS knowledge?
All through our society employers are running background and credit checks on prospective and current hires. Those with less than standard credit histories and those with civil judgements against them are rejected. Would ot not then be logical for a person in the military with the civil judgement or ruling against them( i.e. being known as an illegal) be enough to withold any possibility of a security clearance?
In any eevnt this is off topic.
I for one am glad these illegals are headed back and those who are here are taking the right steps to secure their affairs. Illegals do not belong here.

According to this guy, I guess the answer is yes.

According to this guy, I guess the answer is yes.

Just so you know ConHog is also a veteran. Doesn't mean we always agree. But illegal to me is still illegal and they need to pack em up and ship em off. And end the anchor baby BS.

Forum List

Back