Illegal Goes to Jail, Her Child Gets Adopted

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Yesterday on the Ron Reagan show (Air America Radio) they were talking about an illegal alien woman who lied to immigration officials and was given one year in jail. She had a kid, and the kid went to a foster home, and then was adopted.

That's messed up. I understand sending the kid to a foster home, but they should not have put that kid up for adoption. Unless there is something about her we don't know.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/us/23children.html?_r=2

I've never heard of parental rights being terminated solely because the parent was in jail. It seems the judge acted b/c the mother was going to be deported after she got out.

I don't like this...

CARTHAGE, Mo. — When immigration agents raided a poultry processing plant near here two years ago, they had no idea a little American boy named Carlos would be swept up in the operation.

One of the 136 illegal immigrants detained in the raid was Carlos’s mother, Encarnación Bail Romero, a Guatemalan. A year and a half after she went to jail, a county court terminated Ms. Bail’s rights to her child on grounds of abandonment. Carlos, now 2, was adopted by a local couple.

In his decree, Judge David C. Dally of Circuit Court in Jasper County said the couple made a comfortable living, had rearranged their lives and work schedules to provide Carlos a stable home, and had support from their extended family. By contrast, Judge Dally said, Ms. Bail had little to offer.

“The only certainties in the biological mother’s future,” he wrote, “is that she will remain incarcerated until next year, and that she will be deported thereafter.”

I want to make two points.

1. Let this be a warning to illegals. Go home.

2. Give this poor woman her child back, but send both of them back to Guatemala.

Ok, one more thing. He's an American, so he can come back when he's 18.

Is Poultry Processing work that American's won't do? Is it so bad? I remember Tyson Chicken was raided too. What's with all these poultry plants?

It is wrong - but look at the source of the story - The New York Times......they are a joke. I would take this article with a grain a salt. Investigate for yourself and you will find that the NYT left something out to conjure up pity for these people who come into this country illegally and create a lot of problems for the USA. The ONLY thing that will stop abuses from happening is to stop all of these people at our borders AND do away witht he Baby Anchor Law!!!!

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I've never heard of parental rights being terminated solely because the parent was in jail. It seems the judge acted b/c the mother was going to be deported after she got out.

I don't like this...

I agree. So what she's being deported? Let the kid go with her when that day comes. Remember Alien Gonzales? Whatever his name was, the kid from Cuba who's mother brought him over on a raft? Some people acted like it was more important that he remain in America than going back to Cuba to be with his father.

It is wrong - but look at the source of the story - The New York Times......they are a joke. I would take this article with a grain a salt. Investigate for yourself and you will find that the NYT left something out to conjure up pity for these people who come into this country illegally and create a lot of problems for the USA. The ONLY thing that will stop abuses from happening is to stop all of these people at our borders AND do away witht he Baby Anchor Law!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't find anything on Fox News.com

Which means there is no other side to this story. This isn't a political story. This is a story about a fucked up situation.

And I want to point out to you that we do not have an illegal immigration problem so much as we have an illegal employer problem.

Who are these employers, and who exactly do you think is protecting them? I think it is republicans. This issue has devided your own party babe.

Today's Immigration Battle: Corporatists vs. Racists (and Labor is Left Behind)

You should enjoy this article.

CARTHAGE, Mo. — When immigration agents raided a poultry processing plant near here two years ago, they had no idea a little American boy named Carlos would be swept up in the operation.

One of the 136 illegal immigrants detained in the raid was Carlos’s mother, Encarnación Bail Romero, a Guatemalan. A year and a half after she went to jail, a county court terminated Ms. Bail’s rights to her child on grounds of abandonment. Carlos, now 2, was adopted by a local couple.

In his decree, Judge David C. Dally of Circuit Court in Jasper County said the couple made a comfortable living, had rearranged their lives and work schedules to provide Carlos a stable home, and had support from their extended family. By contrast, Judge Dally said, Ms. Bail had little to offer.

“The only certainties in the biological mother’s future,” he wrote, “is that she will remain incarcerated until next year, and that she will be deported thereafter.”

2. Give this poor woman her child back, but send both of them back to Guatemala.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

The problem is deporting a citizen...

I understand the issue of allowing him back at 18, but what i don't understand is why they didn't just apply for citizenship for her based on the child's.

Is Poultry Processing work that American's won't do? Is it so bad? I remember Tyson Chicken was raided too. What's with all these poultry plants?

The Mid coast of Maine was rife with poutry processing plants just twenty or thirty years ago.

They never had any problem finding workers and every one of those workers was WHITE.

Then the industry moved down south because it was cheaper to raise chickens in even bigger processing plants.

Now the myth is that Americans won't work in those?

What an excellent lie to mask the fact that the salaries of the workers didn't keep up with inflation to the point that only illegals were willing to work at those wages.

The class war continues.

Americans are losing.

The Mid coast of Maine was rife with poutry processing plants just twenty or thirty years ago.

They never had any problem finding workers and every one of those workers was WHITE.

Then the industry moved down south because it was cheaper to raise chickens in even bigger processing plants.

What an excellent lie to mask the fact that the salaries of the workers didn't keep up with inflation to the point that only illegals were willing to work at those wages.

The class war continues.

Americans are losing.

They moved down south because they wanted to pay low wages and no benefits. In the north, the workers would have been more likely to be unionized.

Listen 'babe', you liberal loonies can't see the forest for the trees. This country does NOT stop deportees from taking their children with them but the fact that we have this anchor baby law whereby they can come and give birth to their child HERE, this country CAN'T deport the child as they are citizens but of ILLEGAL parents. Illegals have the misconception that the more children they have the more 'steps' they have to be allowed to stay here. Wrong! In spite of Napolitano, it is a crime to come into this country without permission. There is more to this story beyond the 'tears and violins'. The truth will set you free - you just have to keep looking for it and NOT take what the mainstream media tells you as being God's truth.

In its May issue, Corporate Counsel covers another important facet of the immigration debate: workplace raids. The magazine provides a detailed profile of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Service ─ the federal agency, known as ICE, that got so much attention under Bush for aggressively (and secretively) rounding up illegal aliens and fining the companies that employed them.

But there are signs that Obama may have lost some appetite for workplace raids, Corporate Counsel reports, in this accompanying article. After ICE raided a work site in February ─ the first raid under Obama ─ Janet Napolitano, the head of Homeland Security, *(top, left) demanded a review of all work site enforcement.

She ordered the review, according to a Homeland spokeswoman, because ICE agents had not cleared the raid with their D.C. bosses. “Hopefully, [Obama] will call a moratorium on workplace raids and then work on complete immigration reform,” Fordham law prof. Jennifer Gordon told the magazine.

Over at the New York Times, meanwhile, there’s an interesting story today about a difficult custody issue that has arisen in the wake of workplace raids.

Many workers jailed as a result of ICE raids are at risk of losing custody of their American-born children. A Missouri judge, for example, ruled that a jailed Guatemalan woman had abandoned her child, who was adopted by a Missouri couple. The woman has filed suit in an attempt to retain custody of her two-year-old son.

Cases like this one, the Times reports, are “popping up across the country as crackdowns against illegal immigrants thrust local courts into transnational custody battles and leave thousands of children in limbo.”
Will Obama’s Policies on Illegal Immigration Trigger a “Bloodbath”? - Law Blog - WSJ

The class war continues.

Americans are losing.

I know you think I always side with the liberals, but keep in mind that the conservatives will try to put the blame for illegals on bleeding heart liberals like the ACLU. Sure those groups defend illegals, but they aren't the ones who are hiring them.

And watch the GOP fight us every step of the way on solving this problem. They obstruct progress on this because they like the cheap labor. Also, their racist base doesn't want to make a bunch of mexicans legal citizens. I say if they are going to be here anyways, might as well make it legit.

Or send them all home. That's my first choice.

Listen 'babe', you liberal loonies can't see the forest for the trees. This country does NOT stop deportees from taking their children with them but the fact that we have this anchor baby law whereby they can come and give birth to their child HERE, this country CAN'T deport the child as they are citizens but of ILLEGAL parents. Illegals have the misconception that the more children they have the more 'steps' they have to be allowed to stay here. Wrong! In spite of Napolitano, it is a crime to come into this country without permission. There is more to this story beyond the 'tears and violins'. The truth will set you free - you just have to keep looking for it and NOT take what the mainstream media tells you as being God's truth.

When you find more to the story, share it with us "babe".

On Second Thought . . .

The new administration signals a shift on raids.

Sue Reisinger
Corporate Counsel
May 01, 2009

It was the first work site raid since the Obama administration took office in January. During his campaign, President Barack Obama called for immigration reform and a closer look at such raids. He specifically said he wanted workplace enforcement priorities to shift to unscrupulous employers, such as those running sweatshops.

Napolitano's February 26 directive gave hope to critics of the raids. Immigration law professor Jennifer Gordon of Fordham School of Law says she believes the raid was a "leftover" from the old administration. "Hopefully, they will call a moratorium on workplace raids and then work on complete immigration reform," Gordon speculates.

But Homeland Security spokeswoman Amy Kudwa says Napolitano stopped short of halting the controversial actions. Napolitano ordered the review, according to Kudwa, because agents did not clear the raid with the "front office [in Washington, D.C.]. As a former U.S. attorney [in Arizona], the secretary knows what the procedure should be. She wants to know why the process broke down," Kudwa says.

Napolitano told Congress at a hearing in Washington, D.C., after the raid that workplace enforcement should continue, but with a new emphasis. "In my view," she said, "it needs to focus on employers who intentionally and knowingly exploit the illegal labor market."

Napolitano is also a former governor of Arizona who had to deal with immigration issues in that state. Once a crusading lawyer on behalf of illegal aliens, she is now considered a moderate. As Kudwa puts it, Homeland Security "has limited resources, so it needs to focus on finding and deporting criminal aliens and on employers first."

A February 2009 report commissioned by the Migration Policy Institute, a nonpartisan think tank in Washington, D.C., suggests that ICE has wandered from that mission. The so-called federal fugitive operations program was established to apprehend and remove dangerous fugitive aliens who pose a threat to the community, according to the report. But ICE instead has focused on nondangerous workers. The authors reported that 73 percent of the nearly 97,000 people arrested by ICE agents between 2003 and early 2008 "were unauthorized immigrants without criminal records."

Josie Gonzalez, a 30-year immigration lawyer in Pasadena, says her hope is that Napolitano will refocus ICE's efforts and resources back onto criminals and terrorists. "It is grossly unpopular to jail people whose only crime is to seek employment to feed themselves and their families," she says.
CORPORATE COUNSEL

I don't like this...

I don't like this either, but this is the problem we have created for ourselves by continuing to allow the citizenship of anchor babies. While some have called for an outright denial of citizenship to these anchor babies, I have a different thought. These children really are dual citizens. They have a right to American citizenship, but they also have a right to citizenship to the countries from which their parents originate and have full citizenship.

So, instead of denying these kids citizenship completely, why don't we make their full rights of citizenship effective when they turn 18 or 21? This way, they can be raised in their parents country as their parents are deported. When they turn of age, then they can make a choice to complete their citizenship at that time, if they so choose. Either way, it is something worth discussing.

Forum List

Back