"Illegal, arrogant, and entitled"

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Declaring themselves "undocumented, unapologetic and unafraid," two college students were arrested by Philadelphia police Wednesday after a boisterous street protest that snarled traffic for more than an hour.

Tania Chairez, 19, a University of Pennsylvania sophomore, and Jessica Hyejin Lee, 20, a junior at Bryn Mawr College, planted themselves atop two banners they put in the roadway at 16th and Callowhill Streets at 3:15 p.m. and refused to move. The spot is directly in front of the Philadelphia offices of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the deportation police known as ICE.

Chairez, whose parents brought her here as a young child from Mexico, and Lee, whose parents brought her here from South Korea, are illegal immigrants. Speaking through bullhorns, they said their act of civil disobedience was designed to encourage undocumented people "to come out of the shadows" and demand universal human rights.

About 75 demonstrators, mostly from the city's Latino and Asian youth movements, assembled at Love Park, then marched to spot where the women sat in. Spilling off the sidewalks, the demonstrators chanted support for immigration reforms that would grant students like Chairez and Lee legal status.

"Out of the shadows, into the street," the demonstrators chanted. "No courage, no change."

Two undocumented immigrants arrested in protest

One hour of traffic blocked; extra police assigned.

U of Penn is an ivy league school. Bryn Mawr is private. I am wondering how they could possible afford tuition without grants and scholarships. Hmmmmm.

Illegal immigration is now a "universal human right"? I had no idea. :mad:

No, they're not saying illegal immigration is a universal human right.

These young women were brought here as young children, they had no say in the matter; I can't fault them for their parents' decisions.

As far as affording their tuition, there are very few students who can afford college tuition, Ivy League, private or state. If they were awarded scholarships, then they must have shown brains and ability to qualify. I don't think the answer is to deport bright young people who have assimilated into our society and show such promise. Fast-track their citizenship and allow them the chance to give something back to this country.

Yes Emma. They are demanding "universal human rights"

I'm sure these are exceptionally bright young ladies. But I'm also cetain that there are equally bright young ladies, who were denied admission or scholarships simply because of their race. Where is the empathy for them?

BTW - there are plenty of people paying full tuition because their children have the wrong parents - white and successful.

These young women were brought here as young children, they had no say in the matter; I can't fault them for their parents' decisions.

As far as affording their tuition, there are very few students who can afford college tuition, Ivy League, private or state. If they were awarded scholarships, then they must have shown brains and ability to qualify. I don't think the answer is to deport bright young people who have assimilated into our society and show such promise. Fast-track their citizenship and allow them the chance to give something back to this country.

They do have a problem,this is what you get when we have allowed millions to come here illegally,ist not these girls fault,but that doesn't change the illegal status.They are victims of their parents crimes.

Hatred? Give me a break.

Newsflash: All children are "victims" of their parents decisions. Good and bad. True story.

Also - Financial aid is based on parents' income - regardless of whether they are paying or not. Life is not fair sometimes.

Two kids going to two of the best schools in the USA and they expose themselves to deportation?

They must be damned serious about their cause.

It's pure arrogance. They've gamed the system and profited. But instead of gratitude, they decide to break the law and block traffic for an hour.

I'm sure their families are proud. Not.

It's pure arrogance. They've gamed the system and profited. But instead of gratitude, they decide to break the law and block traffic for an hour.

I'm sure their families are proud. Not.
:rolleyes:

You have no proof that they aren't paying for their own schooling.

And they are protesting on behalf of someone else.

Is it hyperbole TT or simply projection? I suspect that certain leftists are so full of anger and self loathing, that they have a habit of accusing others of the same.

Reasonable people can disagree without hate
And by reasonable, I mean non Progressives.

Yesterday's protest was on behalf of an illegal who is in jail for drugs. They couldn't find a better poster child? I hope no one died because an ambulance couldn't get through their human roadblock.

Is it hyperbole TT or simply projection? I suspect that certain leftists are so full of anger and self loathing, that they have a habit of accusing others of the same.

Reasonable people can disagree without hate
And by reasonable, I mean non Progressives.

Yesterday's protest was on behalf of an illegal who is in jail for drugs. They couldn't find a better poster child? I hope no one died because an ambulance couldn't get through their human roadblock.

There's nothing reasonable about your thread title or your misrepresentation of the facts.

Declaring themselves "undocumented, unapologetic and unafraid," two college students were arrested by Philadelphia police Wednesday after a boisterous street protest that snarled traffic for more than an hour.

Tania Chairez, 19, a University of Pennsylvania sophomore, and Jessica Hyejin Lee, 20, a junior at Bryn Mawr College, planted themselves atop two banners they put in the roadway at 16th and Callowhill Streets at 3:15 p.m. and refused to move. The spot is directly in front of the Philadelphia offices of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the deportation police known as ICE.

Chairez, whose parents brought her here as a young child from Mexico, and Lee, whose parents brought her here from South Korea, are illegal immigrants. Speaking through bullhorns, they said their act of civil disobedience was designed to encourage undocumented people "to come out of the shadows" and demand universal human rights.

About 75 demonstrators, mostly from the city's Latino and Asian youth movements, assembled at Love Park, then marched to spot where the women sat in. Spilling off the sidewalks, the demonstrators chanted support for immigration reforms that would grant students like Chairez and Lee legal status.

"Out of the shadows, into the street," the demonstrators chanted. "No courage, no change."

Two undocumented immigrants arrested in protest

One hour of traffic blocked; extra police assigned.

U of Penn is an ivy league school. Bryn Mawr is private. I am wondering how they could possible afford tuition without grants and scholarships. Hmmmmm.

Illegal immigration is now a "universal human right"? I had no idea. :mad:

And since they are legal adults...i hope they are both deported... their parents hunted and sent after them.

It will be interesting to see if they end up with a record.

That could mess with their ability to get legal status even if they ever decided to comply with the law instead of thumbing their noses at it.

It will be interesting to see if they end up with a record.

That could mess with their ability to get legal status even if they ever decided to comply with the law instead of thumbing their noses at it.

What other record do they need other then their deportation record?

Well, they shouldn't need more of a record than that. But you know they won't be deported for this.

So I'm thinking about later ... like if they marry a citizen and try for a green card. A conviction on their record now could theoretically stop that from happening.

Or if a Dream Act passes. Again, a conviction could stop them from qualifying.

Correct.

Children can not be punished for the bad acts of their parents. See: Weber v. Aetna (1972). And that includes children who are now adults. Moreover, these individuals know little or nothing of the their birth countries, and forcing them to return to a strange land would be cruel and inhumane.

As long as they stay in school and out of trouble, there’s no reason why they can’t stay and contribute to the Nation they love and know as home.

What other record do they need other then their deportation record?

One has a ‘record’ only after conviction. And undocumented immigrants have due process rights. See: Plyler v. Doe (1982).

Regardless of how they got into college, they took places that belonged to American citizens or LEGAL immigrants.

Send them home, along with their parents.

Forum List

Back