Illegal Alien Update

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by Navy1960, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Mayor Phil Gordon along with the City Manager and City Council of Phoenix, Arizona refuses to take responsibility for the death of a Phoenix Police officer. Instead, Phil Gordon blames the Federal Government for not doing their job!

Mayor Phil Gordon was well aware of what the potential for violence on the streets of Phoenix was and is but what is more important to this mayor is collecting his “city sales taxes” while the citizens of his town are being killed and raped and robbed! Citizens have written, called, rallied while having meetings inviting the mayor to town meetings to stop sanctuary orders.

Mayor Gordon never appeared!

Phoenix Mayors policy

Officers will not stop persons for the sole purpose of determining immigration status.
    Officers will not arrest a person when the only violation is an infraction of federal immigration law.
    Officers will not contact ICE/Border Patrol for the sole purpose of interpreting.
    Officers will not notify ICE/Border Patrol of undocumented persons under the following conditions:
    ? When the contacted person is a victim and/or witness of a crime
    ? When contacted during a family disturbance
    ? The enforcement of minor traffic offenses
    ? When the person(s) is/are seeking medical treatment

If an undocumented person is arrested, the decision to notify ICE will be based on the following criteria:
    ? If the offense is a minor traffic violation, ICE will not be notified. (Felony DUI offenders will be turned over to ICE when feasible.)
    ? If the offense is a misdemeanor and the person meets the cite-and-release criteria, an ATTC may be issued.
    ? ICE will not be notified by the Phoenix Police Department if the person is released.
    ? If the person will be released from police custody (not booked) pending further investigation, ICE will not be notified.

I just thought as an update to Shane's story I would start a different thread on this issue and give you all some idea of what is really going on here. On a side note. Phil Gordon has been tapped by the local democratic party to chair and set immigration reform policy and make recommendations to the national party.

2. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269
    That's what happens when the federal government gets involved... If they would let the states take care of themselves (except for some things obviously) these people would be held accountable.

3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,770
    Navy, we had a discussion on this topic recently and discovered that not only are state and local governments not required to enforce federal immigration policy, but also until very recently they were forbidden by law to do it. And what they can now do is very little.

But why would you want your state and local government taking on the burden of the federal government?

4. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    The one thing that is most glaring, here is the policy that I posted KMAN is something that the City of Phoenix put in place under Phil Gordon to make Phoenix a sancturary city. The other thing that stands out here, is Phil Gordon's involvement with this committee that advises on policy for illegal aliens. When asked yesterday about Officer Shane's death both our Gov. and the mayor ignored the issue.

5. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269
    That's sad... but what's worse is it doesn't surprise me... This country is going down the drain and we have a group of people in this country like Bill Ayers that are more than happy to see it go that way....so frustrating...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    While Federal powers in these matters have been found to be absolute, state and local authorities cannot hinder Federal authorities, nor can they withhold information from federal authorities on individuals who have broken federal laws.

"Any person who . . . encourages or induces an alien to . . . reside . . . knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such . . . residence is . . . in violation of law, shall be punished as provided . . . for each alien in respect to whom such a violation occurs . . . fined under title 18 . . . imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."

Section 274 felonies under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act, INA 274A(a)(1)(A):

A person (including a group of persons, business, organization, or local government) commits a federal felony when she or he:

* assists an alien s/he should reasonably know is illegally in the U.S. or who lacks employment authorization, by transporting, sheltering, or assisting him or her to obtain employment, or

* encourages that alien to remain in the U.S. by referring him or her to an employer or by acting as employer or agent for an employer in any way, or

* knowingly assists illegal aliens due to personal convictions.

Penalties upon conviction include criminal fines, imprisonment, and forfeiture of vehicles and real property used to commit the crime. Anyone employing or contracting with an illegal alien without verifying his or her work authorization status is guilty of a misdemeanor. Aliens and employers violating immigration laws are subject to arrest, detention, and seizure of their vehicles or property. In addition, individuals or entities who engage in racketeering enterprises that commit (or conspire to commit) immigration-related felonies are subject to private civil suits for treble damages and injunctive relief.

7. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,680
    That's a bullshitters argument. It's the Federal Governments responsibility. Then the state and locals do everything the can to thwart the Feds. I say cut off their Fed. money until they stop obstructing justice. The mayor of SF and the Mayor of Phoneix should be in jail right now.

8. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Okay Willow, which argument is? I think I made it pretty clear it't the responsibility of the Feds to do something about illegal immigration. However, state and local governments like our wonderful mayor and that worthless mayor of San Francisco that pass local laws to interfere with that IMHO should be held liable.

9. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,770
    Navy, I think most of what you posted applies to encouraging and finding jobs for illegal aliens.

The point is, in my opinion, is that the state and local authority almost have no authority to question someone's citizenship and they have no obligation to turn in people just for being illegal. I'll see if I can find the thread in question and the part of it that stated the law.

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,770
    Here you go, Navy: