Illegal Alien Sob Story of the Day

PATERSON — Vidal Tapia is by all accounts International High School's brightest prospect. A teacher-described "pillar of strength" at the Paterson school, he carries a 4.0 GPA, a National Honor Society membership and a slew of community service hours. He was tapped as his class's valedictorian to give the commencement address in June. Eventually, he wants to work for NASA.

But his plans might fall short of even graduation, not because of any academic problems, but rather an immigration snare. By next week, the 19-year-old senior could be sent back to his native Mexico, barred from returning to the United States for a decade.

Yet Tapia is far from closing the book on his American pursuits. He hopes to finish high school, receive a waiver, return in six months and apply to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He sees himself as a future rocket scientist, dabbling in every intellectual sphere

Paterson high school valedictorian faces 10-year ban from U.S. due to immigration status | NJ.com

My first reaction was "give him a damn waiver". Exceptions are made all the time.

But when I thought about his plans to attend MIT, I got pissed. No one in his family speaks English, which leads me to believe they might not have the quarter mil to pay for his schooling. So - who's gonna pick up that tab?
So you're good with him staying, but not with him applying for a grant or loan to pay for school so he can become a more productive member of our society and better contribute to the strength and prosperity of the nation?

To damn bad for him. He is an illegal in this country and is entitled to NOTHING. That includes and education. He sure as hell does not deserve MIT.

But his family did the paperwork. Why did it take State 5 years to respond? Had they done their job properly, he'd be legal. This seems overly harsh to me. The kid has done nothing wrong.
That seems reasonable enough to me

Tapia immigrated here illegally about five years ago. Since then, his petition for U.S. residency has been accepted and an interview for a green card was scheduled for Wednesday at the consulate in Ciudad Juarez. But because he unlawfully crossed the border and now is an adult, he is likely to face a 10-year ban from setting foot on U.S. soil, regardless of whether he qualifies for residency status. That would mean no commencement speech in June, no diploma in the near future and no American job possibilities until he's in his 30s.

Had the DREAM Act passed Congress last year, Tapia undoubtedly would be a prime candidate.

Got a friend current tangled in a immigration mess, too.

He lived his since he was 4 years old legally (lived here for 17 years) , as his mother had a permanent work VISA.

He wentto Canada to visit some relatives and now the kid cannot get back in.

He was enrolled and about to start college in Maryland.

Now he's trapped in a place where he is basically a stranger.

Now bear in mind he was here legally most of his live, knows no other place but America, his mother is here legally, but he cannot return to the only place he knows, too.

They were asking for a "waiver". That means "we broke the law but we want you to make an exception".
The paperwork should have been done PRIOR to his arrival. According to the article, his mother traveled frequently between the two countries. Instead he got a taxpayer funded high school education. They should be saying "Thank you NJ".

Merit based scholarships ar not "free money" They are funds that could be used for "merit worthy" American kids. And I would also suggest that a Mexican with 4.0 would probably get a spot at MIT over a white kid with 4.5. Actions have consequences. His parents should have known the risks.

Did you see California Girl's post? His parents were going through the process, and the process got hung up over the passing of his birthday. This isn't a case of floating him across the river and buying fake social security cards. I'm firmly against illegal immigration. But these are people making an honest effort to maintain legal status, and an obviously bright and hard working kid who can be a real contribution to our society.

Where were these delicate geniuses when there was a draft and Americans were dying in battle?

Last edited:
Tapia immigrated here illegally about five years ago. Since then, his petition for U.S. residency has been accepted and an interview for a green card was scheduled for Wednesday at the consulate in Ciudad Juarez. But because he unlawfully crossed the border and now is an adult, he is likely to face a 10-year ban from setting foot on U.S. soil, regardless of whether he qualifies for residency status. That would mean no commencement speech in June, no diploma in the near future and no American job possibilities until he's in his 30s.

Had the DREAM Act passed Congress last year, Tapia undoubtedly would be a prime candidate.

He lived his since he was 4 years old legally (lived here for 17 years) , as his mother had a permanent work VISA.

Now bear in mind he was here legally most of his live, knows no other place but America, his mother is here legally, but he cannot return to the only place he knows, too.

Trapped in CANADA?​

That must be hell!​

Are they forcing him to learn French?​

:lol:

Last edited:
Merit based scholarships ar not "free money" They are funds that could be used for "merit worthy" American kids. And I would also suggest that a Mexican with 4.0 would probably get a spot at MIT over a white kid with 4.5. Actions have consequences. His parents should have known the risks.

Did you see California Girl's post? His parents were going through the process, and the process got hung up over the passing of his birthday. This isn't a case of floating him across the river and buying fake social security cards. I'm firmly against illegal immigration. But these are people making an honest effort to maintain legal status, and an obviously bright and hard working kid who can be a real contribution to our society.

Where were these delicate geniuses when there was a draft and Americans were dying in battle?
I don't believe this particular young man would have been alive (let alone of age) during the last draft

I don't believe this particular young man would have been alive (let alone of age) during the last draft

People sneak into this country because they know the current unwillingness to enforce laws that would protect America's future favors the illegal immigrant invading the US.

The worst that could happen if caught is deportation to where they started. What type of punishment is that?

People sneak into this country because they know the current unwillingness to enforce laws that would protect America's future favors the illegal immigrant invading the US.

The worst that could happen if caught is deportation to where they started. What type of punishment is that?

It's interesting that you say that, because according to the article, the mother is "frightened" about him returning to Mexico alone. Why does he have to go alone? Can anyone guess why she won't leave?

Tapia's mother and older brother have sent the consulate a list of hardships the family would face if he were kept in Mexico, including losing Tapia, the only English-fluent family member, as a translator. His mother relies on him now to help monitor her osteoporosis and will depend on him financially when he enters the American workforce.

They also stress the difficulty of Tapia living alone with no family in one of the most dangerous countries in the world.

I am sick and tired of this "broken family" argument. She has a choice.

Trapped in CANADA?​

That must be hell!​

Imagine finding yourself in a foreign land where you are completely cut off from your family, your friends, all the social connections you counted on in life.

Imagine having only a couple days worth of clothing, no money and no work history to help you find a job.

That's what this kid is facing.

Is that really too difficult for you to understand?

Trapped in CANADA?​

That must be hell!​

Imagine finding yourself in a foreign land where you are completely cut off from your family, your friends, all the social connections you counted on in life.

Imagine having only a couple days worth of clothing, no money and no work history to help you find a job.

That's what this kid is facing.

Is that really too difficult for you to understand?

And HIS parents all the years here had NO idea this would/could happen??????

He came here ILLEGALLY. His parents were going through the process AFTER THE FACT. His mother is "legal resident" not a citizen. She is a GUEST in this country who is looking for special treatment.

If this kid had 3.0 average at school, would we even be having this conversation? That's why I titled this thread "sob story of the day". I imagine there are thousands of Tapias in this country. Get in line young scholar.

He was 14. Hardly a grown up with the ability to make grown up decisions. I understand totally, and agree fully, with getting rid of illegal aliens.... and, ordinarily, particularly with grown ups... I'm all for throwing them back over the border. But this is a kid... who did nothing wrong... where the fuck is your compassion? He was a child, he's only 19 now. He tried for 5 years to legalize his status and State fucked it. Let the kid stay.

My compassion for people who abuse the system is depleted. The only people to blame are his parents, who I predict are not contributing much. My hunch is that mama won't return to Mexico because she is getting some kind of freebies here. I'd place money on it.

Yes. How could his PARENTS do that to him?

It's called "Human Trafficking". The use of an innocent child so greedy parents can benefit by having his story told. That's the disgusting part.

Where were his people when innocents were getting slaughtered in WW2?

Are Mexicans ever questioned about the poor Americans that will starve because illegal Mexicans have to be fed? Do they give a shit?

He came here ILLEGALLY. His parents were going through the process AFTER THE FACT. His mother is "legal resident" not a citizen. She is a GUEST in this country who is looking for special treatment.

If this kid had 3.0 average at school, would we even be having this conversation? That's why I titled this thread "sob story of the day". I imagine there are thousands of Tapias in this country. Get in line young scholar.

He was 14. Hardly a grown up with the ability to make grown up decisions. I understand totally, and agree fully, with getting rid of illegal aliens.... and, ordinarily, particularly with grown ups... I'm all for throwing them back over the border. But this is a kid... who did nothing wrong... where the fuck is your compassion? He was a child, he's only 19 now. He tried for 5 years to legalize his status and State fucked it. Let the kid stay.

From the movie "Battle of the Bulge.
A group of nuns and the boy's father beg a German Colonel for mercy after the son try to kill him by sniper rifle out of a window.

The Colonel's reply
Spare the boy!...................Shoot the father!

Erm...as far as I'm aware, if you're a minor, and your parent is a legal resident, they can legally bring you along.

If this kid had a violent criminal record, would be having this conversation? It's irrelevant, because that's not the situation at hand. We're having this conversation, partly, because this is a kid who has alot to offer to be a contributing member of society.

Forum List

Back