Illegal Alien Sob Story of the Day

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
PATERSON — Vidal Tapia is by all accounts International High School's brightest prospect. A teacher-described "pillar of strength" at the Paterson school, he carries a 4.0 GPA, a National Honor Society membership and a slew of community service hours. He was tapped as his class's valedictorian to give the commencement address in June. Eventually, he wants to work for NASA.

But his plans might fall short of even graduation, not because of any academic problems, but rather an immigration snare. By next week, the 19-year-old senior could be sent back to his native Mexico, barred from returning to the United States for a decade.

Yet Tapia is far from closing the book on his American pursuits. He hopes to finish high school, receive a waiver, return in six months and apply to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He sees himself as a future rocket scientist, dabbling in every intellectual sphere

Paterson high school valedictorian faces 10-year ban from U.S. due to immigration status | NJ.com

My first reaction was "give him a damn waiver". Exceptions are made all the time.

But when I thought about his plans to attend MIT, I got pissed. No one in his family speaks English, which leads me to believe they might not have the quarter mil to pay for his schooling. So - who's gonna pick up that tab?

PATERSON — Vidal Tapia is by all accounts International High School's brightest prospect. A teacher-described "pillar of strength" at the Paterson school, he carries a 4.0 GPA, a National Honor Society membership and a slew of community service hours. He was tapped as his class's valedictorian to give the commencement address in June. Eventually, he wants to work for NASA.

But his plans might fall short of even graduation, not because of any academic problems, but rather an immigration snare. By next week, the 19-year-old senior could be sent back to his native Mexico, barred from returning to the United States for a decade.

Yet Tapia is far from closing the book on his American pursuits. He hopes to finish high school, receive a waiver, return in six months and apply to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He sees himself as a future rocket scientist, dabbling in every intellectual sphere

Paterson high school valedictorian faces 10-year ban from U.S. due to immigration status | NJ.com

My first reaction was "give him a damn waiver". Exceptions are made all the time.

But when I thought about his plans to attend MIT, I got pissed. No one in his family speaks English, which leads me to believe they might not have the quarter mil to pay for his schooling. So - who's gonna pick up that tab?

Sob story number 1,000 and counting.

Buy him a one-way ticket, and slap his nerdy ass on a bus.

Mexico needs another genius a lot worse than we do.

Sickening. He broke the law and received free services paid by US taxpayers. I'd like to find the person who wrote this story and punch them in the face.

Ha ha. I don't think schools have named their valedictorians yet. A lot can happen between now and June. Small detail that the writer may have taken liberty with.

Tapia needs to return to his country of birth and see how he can help them OVER THERE!!!!

Mexican
Institute of
Technology​

They're the guys that build the drug tunnels!

crying-baby.jpg

Last edited:

With grades like that I'm sure he'd be in line for merit based scholarships. I have no problem with him being given a waiver. He's obviously a driven kid with something to offer. I'm not in favor of federal grant money being made available to him, but I see no reason to not avail to him loans that would be repaid, as long as he becomes documented.

Let him be a rocket scientist in Mexico. He can use the free education to make his native country a better place.

From the article:

Tapia was beckoned here from a small town in Puebla state five years ago by his parents, who moved to Paterson permanently after years of traveling between the countries. His mother, a permanent U.S. resident, filed the residency petition for her son at that time. But not until June did State Department officials respond with requests for documents in support of Tapia's status change. And not until Feb. 15 did they notify Tapia of his interview date.

By then, Tapia had turned 19 and was no longer exempt from the 10-year ban on re-entering the U.S.

Seems overly harsh to kick the kid out.

My assumption would be that he has a scholarship of some kind... But if not, do you think MIT will have any qualms about kicking his ass out if he can't pay, citizen or not?

To damn bad for him. He is an illegal in this country and is entitled to NOTHING. That includes and education. He sure as hell does not deserve MIT.

To damn bad for him. He is an illegal in this country and is entitled to NOTHING. That includes and education. He sure as hell does not deserve MIT.

But his family did the paperwork. Why did it take State 5 years to respond? Had they done their job properly, he'd be legal. This seems overly harsh to me. The kid has done nothing wrong.

But his family did the paperwork. Why did it take State 5 years to respond? Had they done their job properly, he'd be legal. This seems overly harsh to me. The kid has done nothing wrong.

I really dont care if the he has done nothing wrong or not. He is illegal and needs to go.

Merit based scholarships ar not "free money" They are funds that could be used for "merit worthy" American kids. And I would also suggest that a Mexican with 4.0 would probably get a spot at MIT over a white kid with 4.5. Actions have consequences. His parents should have known the risks.

Merit based scholarships ar not "free money" They are funds that could be used for "merit worthy" American kids. And I would also suggest that a Mexican with 4.0 would probably get a spot at MIT over a white kid with 4.5. Actions have consequences. His parents should have known the risks.

Did you see California Girl's post? His parents were going through the process, and the process got hung up over the passing of his birthday. This isn't a case of floating him across the river and buying fake social security cards. I'm firmly against illegal immigration. But these are people making an honest effort to maintain legal status, and an obviously bright and hard working kid who can be a real contribution to our society.

I really dont care if the he has done nothing wrong or not. He is illegal and needs to go.

I don't see the issue here being any kind of sympathy or illegals. From the sounds of the article there is no plan to simply keep him here and defy the immigration laws. He wants to obtain a waiver and come back to the US and go to college.

I think the question is whether he should be able to get a waiver, and whether the country should welcome his efforts to legally immigrate. I think so. These aren't people giving a "fuck you" to our immigration laws. They want to obtain legal status the fair and proper way. This is the kind of thing that we should want from all people interested in immigrating to the US. This kid obviously has things to offer to be a productive and contributing member of society. He's the kind of immigrant we should want.

Did you see California Girl's post? His parents were going through the process, and the process got hung up over the passing of his birthday. This isn't a case of floating him across the river and buying fake social security cards. I'm firmly against illegal immigration. But these are people making an honest effort to maintain legal status, and an obviously bright and hard working kid who can be a real contribution to our society.

He came here ILLEGALLY. His parents were going through the process AFTER THE FACT. His mother is "legal resident" not a citizen. She is a GUEST in this country who is looking for special treatment.

If this kid had 3.0 average at school, would we even be having this conversation? That's why I titled this thread "sob story of the day". I imagine there are thousands of Tapias in this country. Get in line young scholar.

Forum List

Back