'Ill' worker fired over Facebook

Sometimes when I'm sick and can't sleep, I'll play a computer game to get my mind off how bad I feel. I don't have a Facebook account so I don't know much about it, but I wonder if it's like a computer game (e.g., a distraction)?

Sometimes when I'm sick and can't sleep, I'll play a computer game to get my mind off how bad I feel. I don't have a Facebook account so I don't know much about it, but I wonder if it's like a computer game (e.g., a distraction)?

You've obviously never had a real migraine. Migraine's are incapacitating (as stated before). In a darkened room, the light from a cell phone is enough to make you think you're freaking DYING. There is no laying there typing away. You can't focus on anything, much less a bright screen with tiny print.

She was using a personal computer from home.

The way I understood it, is that she was using her Iphone from "bed".

I'm not sure that the "bed" was in her house. I'm thinking she went to lay down in a dark room at work and then used the iPhone.

Could be.. That part wasn't real clear. What was crystal clear was "migraine" and "iphone" and "facebook", and those SURE as hell aren't compatible.

This will clear it up.

ZURICH (Reuters) - A Swiss insurance worker lost her job after surfing popular social network site Facebook while off sick, her employer said on Friday.

The woman said she could not work in front of a computer as she needed to lie in the dark but was then seen to be active on Facebook, which insurer Nationale Suisse said in a statement had destroyed its trust in the employee.

"This abuse of trust, rather than the activity on Facebook, led to the ending of the work contract," it said.

The unnamed woman told the 20 Minuten daily she had been surfing Facebook in bed on her iPhone and accused her employer of spying on her and other employees by sending a mysterious friend request which allows access to personal online activity.

Nationale Suisse rejected the accusation of spying and said the employee's Facebook activity had been stumbled across by a colleague in November, before use of the social network site was blocked in the company.

Facebook surfing while sick costs Swiss woman job | Technology | Reuters
-----
And I definitely agree. If you have a migraine so bad that you can't sit in front of a computer and have to lay in the dark, don't do anything online..no matter how you do it.

This will clear it up.

ZURICH (Reuters) - A Swiss insurance worker lost her job after surfing popular social network site Facebook while off sick, her employer said on Friday.

The woman said she could not work in front of a computer as she needed to lie in the dark but was then seen to be active on Facebook, which insurer Nationale Suisse said in a statement had destroyed its trust in the employee.

"This abuse of trust, rather than the activity on Facebook, led to the ending of the work contract," it said.

The unnamed woman told the 20 Minuten daily she had been surfing Facebook in bed on her iPhone and accused her employer of spying on her and other employees by sending a mysterious friend request which allows access to personal online activity.

Nationale Suisse rejected the accusation of spying and said the employee's Facebook activity had been stumbled across by a colleague in November, before use of the social network site was blocked in the company.

-----
And I definitely agree. If you have a migraine so bad that you can't sit in front of a computer and have to lay in the dark, don't do anything online..no matter how you do it.

Right.. Rather than just taking the blame for fucking up and getting caught, let's blame someone else... :cuckoo:

This will clear it up.

-----

Right.. Rather than just taking the blame for fucking up and getting caught, let's blame someone else... :cuckoo:

You aren't suggesting....the former president?

This will clear it up.

-----

You aren't suggesting....the former president?

Nope.. Just people who will lie, cheat, and steal and then blame the person that catches them in the liel.. She was probably collecting sick pay, too.. :eusa_eh:

I know from experience that if you have a migrane, the last thing you need is a computer monitor hitting your eyes.

Whew....ok.

I thought this was a dead-on statement.

You've obviously never had a real migraine. Migraine's are incapacitating (as stated before). In a darkened room, the light from a cell phone is enough to make you think you're freaking DYING. There is no laying there typing away. You can't focus on anything, much less a bright screen with tiny print.

I haven't, but my wife suffers from them several times a week. True, the worst migraine will put you down. However, she has what doctors consider migraines that are of varying degrees, some of which allow her to do some mindless things like watch TV or play a simple computer game.

I wonder what her job was?

I know from experience that if you have a migrane, the last thing you need is a computer monitor hitting your eyes.

Migraine headaches are sometimes a catch-all term for a 'really bad headache'. We don't know what kind of headache this lady had. Now I agree, if she couldn't do her work and had to lay down, the last thing she needs to be doing is using her iPhone to check her Facebook account. My guess is that she wasn't a very good employee to begin with and the employer was able to find a reason to fire her.

Migraine headaches are sometimes a catch-all term for a 'really bad headache'. We don't know what kind of headache this lady had. Now I agree, if she couldn't do her work and had to lay down, the last thing she needs to be doing is using her iPhone to check her Facebook account. My guess is that she wasn't a very good employee to begin with and the employer was able to find a reason to fire her.

Anyone that uses migraine as a catch all hasn't ever had one. The two aren't even remotely the same. She implied that she had one by stating that she couldn't do any computer work, and must lie down in a darkened room.

Yes, Facebook is a distraction, but doesn't require as much concentration as a computer game.

The more I think about this, the more I think that this was an invasion of privacy. She had called in sick. We have no way of knowing whether she was lying based on one visit to Facebook. One post can take less than a minute. There was no mention of this woman having any work-related problems with this company prior to this incident.

Forum List

Back