I'll Just Bet

Or the fact that it was the south who seceeded before Lincoln ever took office.

While historically and technically correct, your argument is intellectually dishonest. You are trying to give the impression that the election of '60 did not figure into the calculus of the South's secession. This is simply not true.

Yes, the south seceded before he was inaugurated, but they seceded because he was elected.

Election results were announced in November of '60. South Carolina seceded in December, and most of the rest followed suit in January. A few waited until after Fort Sumter to secede. The reason they seceded so soon after the election? A republican (Lincoln) was elected.

That was the point I was trying to make. They did not seceed because of anything that Lincoln did but because of fearmongering (sounds familiar) over what Lincoln might do. Sort of like what Texas is threatening today

Or the fact that it was the south who seceeded before Lincoln ever took office.

While historically and technically correct, your argument is intellectually dishonest. You are trying to give the impression that the election of '60 did not figure into the calculus of the South's secession. This is simply not true.

Yes, the south seceded before he was inaugurated, but they seceded because he was elected.

Election results were announced in November of '60. South Carolina seceded in December, and most of the rest followed suit in January. A few waited until after Fort Sumter to secede. The reason they seceded so soon after the election? A republican (Lincoln) was elected.

That was the point I was trying to make. They did not seceed because of anything that Lincoln did but because of fearmongering (sounds familiar) over what Lincoln might do. Sort of like what Texas is threatening today

Golly gee, and they were right.

I bet George Bush is down there in Texas with a nice cold beer in one hand and the tv remote in the other channel surfing from news show to news show just laughing his ass off at how unPresidential Obama comes off in just about everything he does. I'm sure he was rolling on the floor laughing his ass off when Obama said the Cambridge Police acted stupidly when they arrested Obama's idiotic friend. He could most likely hear the sucking sound which was Obama's ratings going out the window. Bush most likely thinks watching Obama on tv is better than any comedy show you can find on the tube. I know I do. If Obama wasn't so dangerous to America, I think he would be pretty funny to watch as he makes an ass of himself on a daily, and sometimes hourly basis.

George Bush is crying in his beer trying to figure out what happened to his legacy
As soon as he became president, he looked for ways to justify invading Iraq. When 9-11 occurred he asked "how can we pin this on Iraq?" He rode the wave of unprecidented national and worlwide support to envision a legacy where George Bush would be credited with reshaping the muslim world. His "domino theory" of invading and establishing democracies which would spread through the muslim world like wildfire.
He ignored advice warning him of the quagmire he was getting into, but like a true cowboy he forged ahead with his 'they will treat us as liberators" and "mission accomplished"

39th out of 43 by leading historians. Why do we get this garbage over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

Every Republican gets this treatment. It is a tedious 20 times told tale by an idiot. It gets boring.

But Republican Lincoln came out number 1
Republican Reagan came out number 11, the highest of recent presidents

George Bush??? 39 and falling
Interesting, the only president to lead the nation into a civil war (and I use that term loosely), and historians rank him as number 1? That should tell you something about the stupidity of the historians.

I love how some revisionists want to blame Lincoln when it was the South that seceded and it was the South that fired on a federal fort to start the war.

I bet George Bush is down there in Texas with a nice cold beer in one hand and the tv remote in the other channel surfing from news show to news show just laughing his ass off at how unPresidential Obama comes off in just about everything he does. I'm sure he was rolling on the floor laughing his ass off when Obama said the Cambridge Police acted stupidly when they arrested Obama's idiotic friend. He could most likely hear the sucking sound which was Obama's ratings going out the window. Bush most likely thinks watching Obama on tv is better than any comedy show you can find on the tube. I know I do. If Obama wasn't so dangerous to America, I think he would be pretty funny to watch as he makes an ass of himself on a daily, and sometimes hourly basis.

I hope he's careful with the pretzels.

Thanks for this thread, Willow. I haven't grinned this much, this early in a long time. :)

You're absolutely right, ya know? And I've got enough devious brain cells to rather enjoy watching the Dems self-destruct myself. Like the Dog said, just wish America's well-being wasn't at stake.

Oh, how I long for the good ole days when we had a president whose actions rarely required my personal attention. Sure, the looney left fed off his every move... but they had to dig (i.e., listen to MSM) to find anything to complain about. And ended up with little more to hate about him than our involvement in the war on terrorism. For a president who enjoyed sky-high approval ratings in the days following 9/11 and was never charged, much less convicted, of any type of malfeaseance... he certainly fell from the graces of the fickle whiney in a hurry, didn't he?

Always amazes me how many idiots think they have enough info to second-guess the actions of the president. Like they knew what Bush knew and would've done something different. Nowdays, we're all being FORCED to second-guess what Obama's really trying to shove down our throats so fast. And the whiners, who also know nothing, have already swallowed it, hook, line & sinker.

Yeah, I think George & Laura are happy in their new home in a quiet innercity neighborhood a few miles across town from me. She's been spotted out and about a few times, and it's always fun to see her on the local news joining a group of g/fs at a local tex-mex cafe or speaking before a group at SMU. Haven't had many GW reports, though. I'm pretty sure he's having a hard time tearing himself away from his remote control.

;)
SMW

I hope he's careful with the pretzels.

Choking on a pretzel is nothing.
Barfing on the prime minister of Japan is priceless.

But Republican Lincoln came out number 1
Republican Reagan came out number 11, the highest of recent presidents

George Bush??? 39 and falling
Interesting, the only president to lead the nation into a civil war (and I use that term loosely), and historians rank him as number 1? That should tell you something about the stupidity of the historians.

I love how some revisionists want to blame Lincoln when it was the South that seceded and it was the South that fired on a federal fort to start the war.

Care to explain what sort of revision I did?
Secession was supposedly perfectly legal. It wasn't like the southern states were trying to take control over the federal government, they were trying to gain freedom from it. Exactly like the patriots that started the revolutionary war.

Forum List

Back