I'll have another out of the Belmont

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Report: I'll Have Another is out of Belmont

I'll Have Another is officially out of the Belmont," O'Neill said.

O'Neill talked about what a let-down it is. "It's not tragic, but it's a huge disappointment," O'Neill said.

O'Neill said he looks fine. He said he will walk the horse in front of the media at his 1 p.m. ET press conference to show everyone that the horse is doing well. But he has the beginning of the injury and they can't run him.

"We scanned his left front leg and he's got the start of tendinitis going on in his front leg. He's not 100 percent and we ain't taking any chances,

Oh what a bummer...Better to be safe than sorry though.

Guess now I'll need another excuse for "having another" this weekend. :cheers2:

Apparently Sarah Jessica Parker is gonna' take his spot.

sarah_jessica_parker_horse_7.jpg

BRAVO to trainer Doug O'Neill for putting the health of "I'll Have Another" FIRST! There have been NUMEROUS instances of unsound horses running in the Belmont because they had a shot at the Triple Crown. Kauai King, Majestic Prince, Canonero II, Charismatic, and Big Brown come to mind.

My educated guess is that "I'll Have Another" has what the "old-timers" call a "bowed tendon", which is basically a career-ending injury. Over the years, many great horses have had their careers ended by a bowed tendon.

There is no doubt that we now have an "official" CURSE OF THE TRIPLE CROWN. 34 years and counting, by far the longest Triple Crown drought in horseracing history.

This is a very sad day for us horseracing fans who were looking forward to this year's Belmont, and the possibility of a Triple Crown winner.

"I'll Have Another" is still a great horse who came out of nowhere to capture the hearts of horseracing fans everywhere.

BRAVO to trainer Doug O'Neill for putting the health of "I'll Have Another" FIRST! There have been NUMEROUS instances of unsound horses running in the Belmont because they had a shot at the Triple Crown. Kauai King, Majestic Prince, Canonero II, Charismatic, and Big Brown come to mind.

My educated guess is that "I'll Have Another" has what the "old-timers" call a "bowed tendon", which is basically a career-ending injury. Over the years, many great horses have had their careers ended by a bowed tendon.

There is no doubt that we now have an "official" CURSE OF THE TRIPLE CROWN. 34 years and counting, by far the longest Triple Crown drought in horseracing history.

This is a very sad day for us horseracing fans who were looking forward to this year's Belmont, and the possibility of a Triple Crown winner.

"I'll Have Another" is still a great horse who came out of nowhere to capture the hearts of horseracing fans everywhere.

He will make some mare very happy

O'Neill talked about what a let-down it is. "It's not tragic, but it's a huge disappointment," O'Neill said.

O'Neill said he looks fine. He said he will walk the horse in front of the media at his 1 p.m. ET press conference to show everyone that the horse is doing well. But he has the beginning of the injury and they can't run him.

"We scanned his left front leg and he's got the start of tendinitis going on in his front leg. He's not 100 percent and we ain't taking any chances,

I was so happy to hear this news. As much as I have loved and owned horses, I am really against racing 3 year old colts, for sport. They are not fully developed. I am against the Idatrod Trail Sled Dog Races, also.

I was so happy to hear this news. As much as I have loved and owned horses, I am really against racing 3 year old colts, for sport. They are not fully developed. I am against the Idatrod Trail Sled Dog Races, also.

I have to agree with you, to a point. Thoroughbreds develop/mature at different levels.

Some two-year-olds are simply not ready, from a physical and/or mental maturity level, to begin racing, and any good trainer who gives a shit about the horses he is training, knows that.

Bodemeister is a perfect example of this. He didn't race as a two-year-old because his trainer (the great Bob Baffert) said he was too immature. I still believe that Bodemeister is immature, even as a three-year-old, and I bet he will explode next year and do VERY well as a four-year-old. His pedigree is outstanding.

Secretariat is an example of a three-year-old who grew into a fully developed racing machine between his two and three-year-old racing seasons. Horses like Secretariat are the ones that win the Triple Crown. That's why it's so difficult to win it.

Another example of a horse who didn't mature until later in his racing career was the great Forego, who actually raced in the 1973 Kentucky Derby against Secretariat, but didn't blossom into one of the all-time greats until he was older.

The difference between a three-year-old and a four-year-old thoroughbred, from a maturity standpoint, can be HUGE, or it can be miniscule.

I was present in 2004 at Belmont when it was presumed that Smarty Jones would win. What a day!!!!! 200,000 plus fans in the back yard area. We in the stands could see him being paraded through the crowd (via a big screen in the infield). A press area was set up. Those of us lucky enough to have seats - ours were right where they come around the last turn, but more towards the finish. It was obvious that the jockey was not driving him hard enough and Birdsong slipped through. There was pandemonium. When we were leaving, my son and I accidentally got onto the platform leading to the Long Island Railroad. A guy ran by and his pants fell down. I was afraid the platform would collapse so we turned around and pushed through the mob (literally) to find our bus back to Pa. People were banging on the bus window as we pulled away trying to leave the place. Total chaos. But I will NEVER forget that day. Mayor Bloomberg's helicopter landed way out in a field and he was driven by limo to the stands. Mary Lou Whitney was present (her horse Birdstone won). Ironically and sadly, we saw on the big screen in the infield that Reagan had passed away. I have a photo of that which I can search for and post.

On the way home, around dusk, we got to see the Naked Cowboy in Manhattan!!!! Did I say "memorable"?

scaled.php

WOW! It must have been amazing to be at Belmont that day!

Smarty Jones was a great horse. The Belmont was his last race. He was retired because of chronic ankle problems. Some say that he couldn't handle the 1 1/2 mile Belmont distance, but I would have to dispute that. He has a great pedigree, including Secretariat.

I'll have another is retired completely. Nice horse but they didn't want to harm him further. Poor thing, it was fun to dream of another triple crown but maybe next year with Bodeymeister.

I'll have another is retired completely. Nice horse but they didn't want to harm him further. Poor thing, it was fun to dream of another triple crown but maybe next year with Bodeymeister.

Bodemeister will be four next year

My wife bet a bundle on Union Rags at 4:1, I believe. She is a happy woman.

It is too bad. I would have liked to have seen a triple crown winner this year, but I am very glad they made the decision for the health of the horse.

Immie

Baffert still finished second.

I have got to believe that Bob Baffert is the FIRST trainer to finish second in all three Triple Crown races in the same year, with two different horses.

(I know Alydar finished second to Affirmed in all three Triple Crown races in 1978)

I have always considered the Kentucky Derby the least important of the Triple Crown races.

The Preakness is the biggie - because if the Derby winner wins that one - it sets up the possibility of the Triple Crown.

It is all good, Jonah. Those three days we are parked in front of the TV for hours.

Baffert still finished second.

I have got to believe that Bob Baffert is the FIRST trainer to finish second in all three Triple Crown races in the same year, with two different horses.

(I know Alydar finished second to Affirmed in all three Triple Crown races in 1978)

I have always considered the Kentucky Derby the least important of the Triple Crown races.

The Preakness is the biggie - because if the Derby winner wins that one - it sets up the possibility of the Triple Crown.

Actually, most "horse people" will tell you that the Kentucky Derby is the MOST important (and difficult) of the three Triple Crown races.

The distance (1 1/4 miles), the high number of entrants (usually 20 horses), and the shear immensity of the crowd and the noises that can really spook some of the horses, can make the Derby a really tough race to win.

Just look at how often the Derby favorite has NOT won the Derby. It happens almost every year. This year's favorite was Union Rags, and he had a TERRIBLE run.

Yup, way too young. I am not a big fan of the Jockey Club, nor are many other humane horsemen.

Forum List

Back