Il Gov. Signs Amazon Internet Sales Tax Law

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
After two-months of fence-sitting, Illinois Governor Pat Quinn today signed controversial legislation requiring Internet retailers like Amazon.com and Overstock.com to collect Illinois’ 6.25% sales tax if they have affiliate sellers in the state

Amazon has already said it will terminate its Illinois affiliates, just as it has said it will drop 10,000 California based “associates” if similar legislation pending in that state becomes law.

The new Illinois law is modeled on one adopted by New York in 2008. While Amazon has been challenging (so far unsuccessfully) the constitutionality of that law in court, it has kept its New York affiliates and now collects New York sales tax on purchases shipped to the Empire State. (It also collects for shipments to its home state of Washington, as well as North Dakota, Kansas, and Kentucky.) After Rhode Island and North Carolina adopted copycat “Amazon” laws in 2009, Amazon ended its marketing deals with sites based in those states
Illinois Governor Signs Amazon Internet Sales Tax Law - Janet Novack - Taxing Matters - Forbes

Chris Christie's opinion on the IL Governor:

"Let me tell you something: We won't lose any business to Illinois as long as Pat Quinn's the governor," Christie, a Republican, said during a news conference Thursday. "He's a disaster."

What say you?

The businss and sales taxation models that worked so well before the internet don't work so well, now.

The states can try to impose taxation on internet providers but as we can see they can very easily avoid those taxes.

Here's a fairly example of why LOCAL CONTROL isn't always the solution to every problem.

IF a sales tax is going to be enforcible, I suspect its going to have come bia a FEDERAL REBULATION.

And even that is questionable since the net is an international system.

The businss and sales taxation models that worked so well before the internet don't work so well, now.

The states can try to impose taxation on internet providers but as we can see they can very easily avoid those taxes.

Here's a fairly example of why LOCAL CONTROL isn't always the solution to every problem.

IF a sales tax is going to be enforcible, I suspect its going to have come bia a FEDERAL REBULATION.

And even that is questionable since the net is an international system.

The business and sales taxation models that worked so well before the internet don't work so well, now.

The states can try to impose taxation on internet providers, but as we can see, the companies can very easily avoid those taxes.

Here's a fairly example of why LOCAL CONTROL isn't always the best solution to every problem.

IF a sales tax is going to be enforcible, I suspect its going to have come bia a FEDERAL REGULATION.

And even that is questionable as the net is an international system, and its organizations can easily migrate their servers from one juristiction to the other.

Last edited:
Twice was not enough?

Sales taxes like this do not bother Amazon, they just drop their affiliates in that state, which puts local businesses out of work, dries up revenue, and makes things worse for Illinois. The federal government does not have the authority to collect local taxes, so I do not see why you think non local control will solve anything. Do you honestly want the federal government collecting local sales taxes and adding conditions to how states spend that money?

Forum List

Back