Il Gov. Signs Amazon Internet Sales Tax Law

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chanel, Mar 11, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Illinois Governor Signs Amazon Internet Sales Tax Law - Janet Novack - Taxing Matters - Forbes

Chris Christie's opinion on the IL Governor:

"Let me tell you something: We won't lose any business to Illinois as long as Pat Quinn's the governor," Christie, a Republican, said during a news conference Thursday. "He's a disaster."

What say you?

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    The businss and sales taxation models that worked so well before the internet don't work so well, now.

The states can try to impose taxation on internet providers but as we can see they can very easily avoid those taxes.

Here's a fairly example of why LOCAL CONTROL isn't always the solution to every problem.

IF a sales tax is going to be enforcible, I suspect its going to have come bia a FEDERAL REBULATION.

And even that is questionable since the net is an international system.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    The businss and sales taxation models that worked so well before the internet don't work so well, now.

The states can try to impose taxation on internet providers but as we can see they can very easily avoid those taxes.

Here's a fairly example of why LOCAL CONTROL isn't always the solution to every problem.

IF a sales tax is going to be enforcible, I suspect its going to have come bia a FEDERAL REBULATION.

And even that is questionable since the net is an international system.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    The business and sales taxation models that worked so well before the internet don't work so well, now.

The states can try to impose taxation on internet providers, but as we can see, the companies can very easily avoid those taxes.

Here's a fairly example of why LOCAL CONTROL isn't always the best solution to every problem.

IF a sales tax is going to be enforcible, I suspect its going to have come bia a FEDERAL REGULATION.

And even that is questionable as the net is an international system, and its organizations can easily migrate their servers from one juristiction to the other.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  5. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Twice was not enough?

Sales taxes like this do not bother Amazon, they just drop their affiliates in that state, which puts local businesses out of work, dries up revenue, and makes things worse for Illinois. The federal government does not have the authority to collect local taxes, so I do not see why you think non local control will solve anything. Do you honestly want the federal government collecting local sales taxes and adding conditions to how states spend that money?