Ikes highway system

The interstate highway system was built for national defense purposes. In the 1950s it was not a question of if we would have a nuclear war, but when. Highways were needed to evacuate people and move troops and supplies to affected areas

Horse manure. The interstate highway system is just another expensive government boondoggle. We already had a perfectly satisfactory system of railroads that didn't cost the taxpayers a cent. The auto companies lobbied the government for the highway system, and like a good stooge Eisenhower complied.

No, Ike's experiences in WW I heavily influenced his thinking. Logistics were a nightmare.

Logistics in Germany were a nightmare? Hitler built thousands of miles of highways in Germany before the war.

Horse manure. The interstate highway system is just another expensive government boondoggle. We already had a perfectly satisfactory system of railroads that didn't cost the taxpayers a cent. The auto companies lobbied the government for the highway system, and like a good stooge Eisenhower complied.

No, Ike's experiences in WW I heavily influenced his thinking. Logistics were a nightmare.

Logistics in Germany were a nightmare? Hitler built thousands of miles of highways in Germany before the war.

And he was smart to do so.

The interstate highway system helped isolated states like North Dakota and Idaho become part of the US. They were meant as a means to provide needed supplies to those states in the event of nuclear attack

Fingerboy is a clueless asshole living in the 19th century

Yeah, right, because railroads could not transport needed supplies to North Dakota or Idaho.

The Interstate highway system was an unnecessary boondoggle.

Two things would be necessary in the event of a nuclear attack. Evacuating people from the affected area and bringing in supplies and troops to secure the area. Two different purposes which require different rail infrastructure.
Personal vehicles are available for evacuating civilians. There are not enough passenger trains to evacuate civilians. It would take weeks.

Hitler was a corporal in WWI

He was a deep-thinker - saw the big picture.

On D-day - Ok we' ll go.

On Korean War - I will go to Korea.

Ike was a smart man. My first vote in a national election was cast for him in 1956. Sadly his party didn't listen to his advice and even though I was a Republican for the first thirty years of my adult life I wouldn't vote for another one of them if I live to 100. Another thing...Harry Truman took us into Korea. Here's Ike's admonition about the military/industrial complex:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y06NSBBRtY]Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex. - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back