Ike.. the real truth...

That's my point, dido. I do what I think is best to do, not what the media says or the Gov says...I'd hightail my tush out of Houston and tell Perry to blow it up his ass.

More to it than that. The roads out of Houston are parking lots. I'd be tempted to drive south to Corpus (toward the storm) then take I37 to San Antonio.

Of course, telling Perry to blow it out his ass is okay just on GP.

No, Perry told people in Houston to stay put.

Some of them will be a lot safer where there are then stranded on a highway somewhere in east Texas. Have you been to Houston ? The whole town isn't a swamp filled with itty bitty shacks. Some of it is MILES from the ocean.

dido said:
Yes, Ravi, I was wrong and you were right. Perry did tell the residents of Houston to stay put. Now, how can I spin this...oh! what do you think, Houston is full of shacks?

:eusa_whistle:

Is god telling Houston to invest in wind power?

I don't know who's telling us but I hope someone is listening.

Ike's threat to lives is real but one that's being dealt with by evacuations. Often people are hesitant to evacuate, not because they don't want to leave but because getting back home... now there's a real crapshoot. How long will you be away? What will you come back to? Plus, there's a hurricane mentality... "I've ridden out these storms before." that's hard for authorities to deal with.

Aftermath worries: the potential flood damage to the refineries... the biggest one, an Exxon-Mobil, that sits in Baytown very near the Galveston/Houston area. I don't know the exact refinery count in that area but I'll just say a bunch. I think the count is 26 along the entire Texas Gulf Coast, 2 just about 8-10 miles from where I sit. Damage to any of them makes the entire country a victim of a major hurricane that hits this area. We can't evacuate the refineries.

I'm in Corpus Christi. It's almost noon. The skies are blue, only a ligh breeze blowing. Temp is 90-91. All this will change in about 8 hours. We've been told not to evacuate because of highway congestion and the minimal threat to our area. We're well on the backside of Ike. We're expecting tropical force winds and a helluva lot of rain.

I noticed when the last hurricane came, no one mentioned the Gulf oil platforms either, but they do it once an hour now. However, most of the Texas coast has been evacuating since Wed, in an orderly fashion. That means they HAVE to find something else to talk about to justify their overkill coverage.

Bastards have South Carolinians rushing the gas pumps... the wait was over an hour last night..

I don't know who's telling us but I hope someone is listening.

Ike's threat to lives is real but one that's being dealt with by evacuations. Often people are hesitant to evacuate, not because they don't want to leave but because getting back home... now there's a real crapshoot. How long will you be away? What will you come back to? Plus, there's a hurricane mentality... "I've ridden out these storms before." that's hard for authorities to deal with.

Aftermath worries: the potential flood damage to the refineries... the biggest one, an Exxon-Mobil, that sits in Baytown very near the Galveston/Houston area. I don't know the exact refinery count in that area but I'll just say a bunch. I think the count is 26 along the entire Texas Gulf Coast, 2 just about 8-10 miles from where I sit. Damage to any of them makes the entire country a victim of a major hurricane that hits this area. We can't evacuate the refineries.

I'm in Corpus Christi. It's almost noon. The skies are blue, only a ligh breeze blowing. Temp is 90-91. All this will change in about 8 hours. We've been told not to evacuate because of highway congestion and the minimal threat to our area. We're well on the backside of Ike. We're expecting tropical force winds and a helluva lot of rain.

Y'all are dodging the bullet--a direct hit on Galveston and Houston ?
GIGANTIC MESS. Austin is preparing to shelter 25,000 people --the whole state is going to get a big jolt.

Puh-lease.:eusa_hand:

Everybody knows the evil Sith Lord Darth Bush, ably assisted by his enforcer Darth Cheney have a hurricane machine they crank up at will for when things get bored around the White House.

It's all a Bush-led, GOP plot to drive up the price of refined oil.:eusa_silenced:

You know Gunny, this completely disassembles Kanye's "President Bush Doesn't Like Black People" theory....after all, he is sending a hurricane to all us white folks.

I live in about two counties away---ON THE COAST--- But luckily, we've ended up on the west side of the storm. For a while, they had it pegged right on us. We're still hunkering down and all boarded up. We're supposed to be expecting 75-100 mph winds. I'm sure the electricity is bound to go out pretty soon.

I got a 20 cent bump but... sure beats the hell out of waiting in lines for hours..

gasoline is up 50 cents a gallon here since this morning.

How can this happen? Why are gas prices going up when it is the same gasoline they had in their big tanks as yesterday and the refineries have not even been damaged yet? Isn't this against the law and price gouging?

The estimate is 100 billion or more in damage, WHO is going to pay for this, and Bear Sterns, and fannie mae and freddie mack and lehman brothers and the airlines?

I'm sorry but the middle class DOES NOT HAVE ANY MORE TAX MONEY they can have for all of these BAILOUTS, time for the wealthiest to cough up some money and come to the aid of their country....imho.

Yeah.. my neighbors were bitching right up til that last little drop of gas left the pump.. We are three local stations empty... Dont think I'll be drivin round much this weekend...

Good luck out there gun...

Forum List

Back