Ike.. the real truth...

Is god telling Houston to invest in wind power?

Puh-lease.:eusa_hand:

Everybody knows the evil Sith Lord Darth Bush, ably assisted by his enforcer Darth Cheney have a hurricane machine they crank up at will for when things get bored around the White House.

It's all a Bush-led, GOP plot to drive up the price of refined oil.:eusa_silenced:

All joking aside, this looks like it could be pretty nasty. I'm thinking most people in Houston don't have hurricane shutters.

All joking aside, this looks like it could be pretty nasty. I'm thinking most people in Houston don't have hurricane shutters.

If you are making a comparison, people on the coast here are not as prepared to deal with hurricanes as they are in Miami. Then again, all the preparation in the world didn't phase Andrew. My mother took pics of 3 places we lived in Miami (after the fact, of course) and all 3 were flattened.

We never had storm shutters anywhere we lived in Miami that I can recall.

From what I can see on the news, most of the coastal homes are boarded up. People forget quick. Houston hasn't been hit since the 80s.

However, most of the populations of Houston and south are currently HERE. I've always found that rather odd too. That's like running from Miami to Orlando to avoid a hurricane. If Corpus Christi got hit dead on by a Cat 3 or 4 hurricane we'd get hammered. We're only 150 miles inland, if that.

The only thing we'd miss is the storm surge because we're off the coastal plain.

What is weird though is that this looks to be a hard hit for Houston and some other close areas... but the media was still lavishing it's main coverage around New Orleans... still playing off the sympathy etc for that area.... when in fact they should be having as much focus on the area that WILL be hit, as possible... the more information they get from every news source possible, the better off the landfall area will be

My sister lived in Miami during Andrew, she invited her hairdresser, (Jeannie) and her hairdersser's son, (Manny) to stay at her house during the hurricane because Jeannie lived right on Biscayne bay, an evacuation zone....my sister lived about 15 miles in for the bay/ocean....

Every other home in my sister's culdesac was flattened.

My sister's home ended up getting a whole in it and water was gushing through the ceiling.

My sister and Manny went upstairs and tried to keep the water from flooding the entire house. the two of them with buckets, kept getting under the waterfall and run the buckets of water to the bathtub to flush it down wile the winds were blowing over 100 miles an hour. Their efforts were really fruitless, but my sis and manny felt like they were at least doing something to try to save her house...

Jeannie, was all shaken up and could not help at all....she was paralyzed, on her knees in front of my sister's refrigerated praying to God to save them....that's all she could do....hahahahahaha!

When the whole event was over, my sister asked Jeannie why she could not come upstairs to help them SAVE her house from destruction?

Jeannie answered, what you and Manny did was useless, what I did, saved us!!!!!

lol

I went to visit shortly after the event, southern Miami was destroyed, flattened, like a nuke had gone off, never seen anything like it in my life....

my sis did not have electricity for 6 weeks, the school she taught at was being used as a homeless shelter so she did not have to go back to work for nearly 2 months...the stench in miami from the destruction was unbearable.

Since then, my sis put up storm shutters, bought enough supplies to feed an Army for at least a year, bought portable showers, water for a year, oil lamp oil and several hurricane lamps, a generator to run her fridge, catt food and litter out the yazoo etc...her entire garage is stuffed to the ceiling with supplies....all the things she could not find after Andrew....

She really has gone completely mad with hurricane phobia....the entire neighborhood could live off of all the supplies she has bought!!! just crazy what Andrew has done to her, a scar that will never heal, I am convinced!

care

If you are making a comparison, people on the coast here are not as prepared to deal with hurricanes as they are in Miami. Then again, all the preparation in the world didn't phase Andrew. My mother took pics of 3 places we lived in Miami (after the fact, of course) and all 3 were flattened.

We never had storm shutters anywhere we lived in Miami that I can recall.

From what I can see on the news, most of the coastal homes are boarded up. People forget quick. Houston hasn't been hit since the 80s.

However, most of the populations of Houston and south are currently HERE. I've always found that rather odd too. That's like running from Miami to Orlando to avoid a hurricane. If Corpus Christi got hit dead on by a Cat 3 or 4 hurricane we'd get hammered. We're only 150 miles inland, if that.

The only thing we'd miss is the storm surge because we're off the coastal plain.

Shelters in Austin are filling fast too. No hotel rooms available. They only evacuated the low lying areas in Houston and have actually told those in solid structures on higher ground to stay put to avoid traffic jams and other logistical nightmares. We'll see how well that works out I guess.

Evacuations are a crap shoot. I went from Ft. Lauderdale to stay with my brother in Kendall because Andrew was scheduled to come ashore on the Dade/Broward line. Big mistake.

After that, I stopped listening to the news media and the government officials because really, they don't know any more than I do, in fact, probably even less, about where the storm will end up.

I just watch the pretty pictures on NOAA and they haven't failed me yet.

Shelters in Austin are filling fast too. No hotel rooms available. They only evacuated the low lying areas in Houston and have actually told those in solid structures on higher ground to stay put to avoid traffic jams and other logistical nightmares. We'll see how well that works out I guess.

how far inland is Austin Dillo?

Evacuations are a crap shoot. I went from Ft. Lauderdale to stay with my brother in Kendall because Andrew was scheduled to come ashore on the Dade/Broward line. Big mistake.

After that, I stopped listening to the news media and the government officials because really, they don't know any more than I do, in fact, probably even less, about where the storm will end up.

Hopefully everyone knows better than to listen to you. Were you working for the city of New Orleans during Katrina ?

EXACTLY! Jeannie came to my sister's house, southern area just south of Kendall because where she was north of my sis, was suppose to be the area hit....or closer to the area that was suppose to get hit....

WRONG, it went right over my sister's area, a near direct hit.

What is weird though is that this looks to be a hard hit for Houston and some other close areas... but the media was still lavishing it's main coverage around New Orleans... still playing off the sympathy etc for that area.... when in fact they should be having as much focus on the area that WILL be hit, as possible... the more information they get from every news source possible, the better off the landfall area will be

I noticed when the last hurricane came, no one mentioned the Gulf oil platforms either, but they do it once an hour now. However, most of the Texas coast has been evacuating since Wed, in an orderly fashion. That means they HAVE to find something else to talk about to justify their overkill coverage.

EXACTLY! Jeannie came to my sister's house, southern area just south of Kendall because where she was north of my sis, was suppose to be the area hit....or closer to the area that was suppose to get hit....

Sorry ladies but forecasting is much more accurate now----they precisely predicted where Gustav went and if you love anyone in Galveston or Houston you had better be telling them to head west.

Last hurricane I was (almost) in in Miami was David. We were boarded up, stocked up, windows taped and David was bearing down on us. Woke up the next morning and it had bounced off the coast and gone up 150 miles north and whacked Orlando. We just go some rain.

Sorry ladies but forecasting is much more accurate now----they precisely predicted where Gustav went and if you love anyone in Galveston or Houston you had better be telling them to head west.
That's my point, dido. I do what I think is best to do, not what the media says or the Gov says...I'd hightail my tush out of Houston and tell Perry to blow it up his ass.

That's my point, dido. I do what I think is best to do, not what the media says or the Gov says...I'd hightail my tush out of Houston and tell Perry to blow it up his ass.

in other words---do the same thing that Perry has informed them to do .
Wow --you rebel !

Last hurricane I was (almost) in in Miami was David. We were boarded up, stocked up, windows taped and David was bearing down on us. Woke up the next morning and it had bounced off the coast and gone up 150 miles north and whacked Orlando. We just go some rain.

and i think it was Ivan just a few years back, predicted to hit the Tampa Bay area, instead it took a hook and hit Punta Gorda as a direct hit!

I know the forecasters are getting better as Dillo stated but they are still far from perfect.

Forum List

Back